Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4627 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 8:48 AM by Lyle65
nursekath Amateur 9 posts since
Apr 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2010 6:54 PM

what to eat before a run?

Just starting out this week, and I know nutrition is a big part of being fit. However, it is not my strong point but I am going to work on it as well. In the meantime, what would be something quick and easy to make/eat before going for a jog - without having to make a full breakfast?

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Lindainred Pro 130 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    1. Apr 19, 2010 4:36 AM (in response to nursekath)
    Re: what to eat before a run?

Nursekath,

What I've read and kind of been practicing regarding eating is this, 'You should neither be famished nor stuffed when you head out for a run.  A good rule of thumb for beginners is to drink a cup of water and eat a light high-carbohydrate meal or snack half an hour to an hour before running.  Rich and high-fiber foods often cause stomach distress, especially for beginners, so stay away from any significant intake of fats, protein, salad, and fruit (bananas are an exception - they're easy on the stomach for most people).  Mornings are less problematic, since you'll wake with an empty stomach.  Grab some toast, a bagel, or a banana and coffee if you like and give yourself a little bit of time before running... be sure to wait two to three hours after you've eated a large lunch or one that contains rich or fibrous items, or you might wind up with uncomfortable bloating, By the way, many runners will attest to the fact that as you progress and get used to running, your stomach will most likely become less sensitive to what and when you eat.' (Runner's World-Complete Book of Women's Running)

Water is your best friend, remember to stay hydrated throughout the day!

3/15/2010: Started C25K

5/15/2010: http://miheartwalk.kintera.org/lhunkele

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• raytodd Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    2. Apr 19, 2010 4:41 AM (in response to nursekath)

I have read that a piece of fruit or a banana plus a quick drink (perhaps milk or juice) should do the trick. Not too light, none too heavy. Most importantly, it shouldn't upset your stomach.

• gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
    Apr 23, 2003
    3. Apr 19, 2010 7:45 AM (in response to nursekath)

I think a light meal as described an hour or 2 before a run is optimal.  I run first thing in the AM, however, and don't have time for it.  I don't find myself more fatigued than my weekend runs when I DO eat first though...  That being said I try to eat a lot of LOW glycemic carbs for dinner.  Pre-run meal is coffee and water.  If it is a race day about 2 hours before I like a slice of peanut butter on whole grain bread toast and a banana.  I'll usually drink 32 OZ of Gatorade too just to make sure I don't lose any weight from the race! ha.

• run'nutah Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 3, 2010
    4. Apr 19, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to nursekath)

If I eat an hour or so before a run I like to drink about 20 oz. of water (I drink the energy Vitamin Water) and some oatmeal or a powerbar.  If it's 2-3 hours before I run I will eat some cereal and toast with a powerbar.  Bananas are always good for the potassium.  Just make sure you don't eat too much, stay on the side of eating less than more.  I hope your training goes well!

Planned races:

Salt Lake Marathon 7/24

Completed races:

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/17   1:47:21

Salt Lake 1/2 marathon 4/08

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/09

Moab 1/2 Marathon 3/09

Provo Canyon 1/2 Marathon 8/09

Three 5K races 2005-2007

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    6. Apr 22, 2010 5:09 PM (in response to gatorman10)

gatorman10 wrote:

Pre-run meal is coffee and water.  If it is a race day about 2 hours before I like a slice of peanut butter on whole grain bread toast and a banana.

This reminds me of what I've been eating for breakfast the past few days.  A slice of sprouted grain bread spread with natual chunky peanut butter and sliced banana on top.  (I'd sprinkle on a few choclate chips or mini M&M's or raisins if I had them handy.)    Yummy!!!!

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• greenjello Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    7. Apr 22, 2010 11:12 PM (in response to nursekath)

I don't eat if I run first thing in the morning.  Normal breakfast is coffee, 1 pb toast, and a fruit medley, if I'm running in 1 to 2 hours.

• vanessaruns1 Expert 40 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    8. Apr 23, 2010 3:21 AM (in response to nursekath)

For me nothing works better than a shake. I make it the night before so I just have to grab it from the fridge and drink before a run. It's super fast, I can blend in everything my body needs, and it's light enough on the digestive system so I can go out just a few minutes after drinking.

I am currently training for a marathon. You can see my full runner's diet, as laid out by my sport nutritionist, here: http://wp.me/sOwIM-post27

Vanessa Rodriguez

www.vanessaruns.com

vanessaruns@gmail.com

• iRunDetroit Expert 45 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010
    9. Apr 23, 2010 6:07 AM (in response to nursekath)

Oh man, after reading what everyone else eats I am a little embarrassed. I eat 1.5 servings of quaker oats oatmeal with bananas and coffee about an hour and a half before I go running and when I return I eat another 1.5 servings and a carnation instant breakfast. At that point I am ready to begin my day!

iRunDetroit.com blog  |  iRunDetroit on Atlinks

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    10. Apr 23, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to nursekath)

I ususally just drink Vita Coco or put it in a smoothie or shake. It fills you up and gives you all the electrolytes and nutrients you need for the run.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...