Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6302 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2010 3:33 AM by Gravity06 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • 2power Pro 91 posts since
    Jan 5, 2010

I left behind the parts of fldogwalker's post that didn't pertain to me/ didn't agree with and took away with me a reminder to  "strengthen your mind" , a positive comment, something I can appreciate from any fellow runners.  

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009

Not everyone starts running for the pure enjoyment of the sport.  I started running last year because I wanted to do a triathlon.  Running was a necessary part of my training that I totally disliked.  I was running for 8 months before the "AHA!" moment happened.  I was running with my dog and we came up to a field scattered with Canada geese.  The dog was chomping at the bit to give chase, so I cut her from the leash and she took off.  For the heck of it, I took off too. It was very liberating to run just like a child would.  I stopped thinking it was something I had to do and started to enjoy the feeling of running. So whenever I start to feel like cutting short a run, I remember the geese and try to channel those feelings to keep going.

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Highpointbound Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 7, 2010

I dont mean to be snarky Mary, but it seems things can easily "touch your nerves".  Im reminded of a post someone made about

some overweight runners that dont seem to lose weight, and your rather "passionate" response to it.  Some people just post questions

because they honestly just want to know.  NOT because they are trying to put some folks down.

And this particular post the OP made..I dont think she was saying to just ignore your pain and run even though you are in

severe pain and it feels like your ankles are gonna snap.  I took it the way i believe she meant it.  That even though you may

feel tired, and you feel like your legs are lead, and it would feel so good to just stop..sometimes you gotta push yourself.

If running was as easy and pleasurable as sitting down eating an ice cream cone, we would all be runners, wouldnt we?

The other day i did just what the OP said.  And i ran the furthest i have without stopping yet. And i have bad knees, etc.  BUT i didnt

push it beyond what was healthy for me.  I just PUSHED it beyond my wimpy comfort zone.  I did extra time instead of just looking at

my watch and going..'oh..its time to stop now cause the program says i should stop'.  I felt okay to push it for just a bit more, and i

did it and felt good! I think that is all the OP meant..and I agree!   Sometimes there really is no hidden agenda in things

people post.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

Nah, I wouldn't call you "snarky".  "Rude" is more the word that comes to mind.

Passionate responses are all part of why we're here.  If people post comments that come across as judgmental towards other runners, then they're probably gonna get some defensive responses. We are all passionate about running and we all have our own opinions.  It doesn't matter to me that you don't agree with me, and I'll let your "rudeness" roll off my back.  Have a good one.

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009

I think I've been able to wrap my head around this idea a bit better after reading some other responses.  If I might ask, to understand the original post a bit better (without addressing a 'hidden agenda' or 'baiting', etc.):  fldogwalker, did you have a concrete breakthrough moment, and if so when? 

• Bruce Langsdon Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

Good post.  I have run several marathons, and there always comes a point during the race that I want to quit.  This is usually around 22 miles or so.  I call the last three or four miles of the marathon the "suffering miles."  Sometimes the only thing that keeps you going is just plain will.  What I've learned from experience is that it is going to hurt more than you think it should, but not more than you can bear.

• cassssyyy Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010

Marykb, I too remember previously reading some of your comments and have found them to be very offensive. I understand if you are passionate, but you discrimiate against others saying they are being rude, so in return you give a rude and overly aggressive comment. Clearly the OP had good intentions, and at the end of the day that's all that matters. I understand if something may hit a nerve with you, but maybe you could try expressing yourself in a more productive manner so that people don't think you are being rude. Since you clearly don't like it when you think others are rude, then it might be effective to begin with not being rude yourself and others will follow.

• dfitz* Legend 612 posts since
    Aug 20, 2008

Hi Marykb -

I understand the frustration of being injured (having been injury-free myself, until recently). You've run a lot longer than I have, so I can only imagine how it must feel to be suddenly hindered by an injury out of the blue.

I just wanted to say that where you see contradiction in the OP's comment in the context of injury, I see agreement, because mindfulness is implied in the subject line. Indeed, listening to your body is critical, just as you said! it's another core principle of ChiRunning, and one that I didn't follow well enough when my injury surfaced.

When something hurts or doesn't feel right, willing yourself to listen might be just as hard as willing yourself to keep running when there's really no injury.  Either way, knowing the difference seems to require brutal honesty. When not injured -- just hot or tired or unmotivated -- I know deep down that my barrier is mental, and 'pep talks' like this do actually help me.  Likewise, when injured/possibly injured, I know deep down I shouldn't ignore it, yet I fell into that trap too: A stiff ankle during a half marathon must have altered my gait, in turn straining a tendon in the knee area. Had I been more mindful and honest with myself, I would have recognized that the pain was different, and that I should walk. Instead, I had to quit running for 6 weeks to let it heal.

I hereby vow to be honest with myself and run with my mind AND my heart, thereby pushing on when appropriate and stopping when not appropriate. I have a race the next two weekends -- plenty of opportunity to test this!

• meryl27 Pro 116 posts since
    May 18, 2009

Wow.  Something obviously intended to be inspirational about running with your heart has turned so ugly. To see this post tainted by such negative comments is a shame.

Meryl I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

C25K Graduate 7/18/2009

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008

Dido to that!  Sure seemed to have positive intentions!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• ciavyn Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

What an awesome story, fldogwalker! I think that is amazing. Yesterday we used a metronome and for the first time my best friend ran 3.1 very hilly miles without stopping. The look on her face is etched in my memory forever. She was so happy! And at peace with what she had done. She is always comparing us because I am training for a half marathon right now, but in reality, we each have potential...we just have to allow it to come to the surface. I loved your original post, and the message and joy that it expresses should enrich any life. We are all different, with different bodies, lives and circumstances, but we can each press on, work a little harder, and offer our best to the challenges that befall us. Thank you for your inspirational thoughts!

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009

Good story, thanks.  Just as I'd thought, it gave me a better perspective on the original post.

• msucj21 Pro 58 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010

That is a very encouraging and motivating post.  I couldn't agree with you more.  I feel like 99.5% of running is mental.  When I was in high school and ran Cross Country and Track, I hated every minute of it.  I could not wait to"get it over with". 

However, I stepped back into the game in January and finally had my breakthrough moment.  I've realized my runs are the one thing I look forward to every day when I wake up.  Running has become a huge part of me and my identity over the past few months. 

MSUcj21

3/21-Shamrock Shuffle 8K- 46:24
    4/10-Wrigley Early Start 5K- 27:36

4/25-Ravenswood Run 5K- 27:18
    5/1-CPD Run to Remember 5K- 26:54
    5/29-Soldier Field 10 Mile- 1:36:42

6/6- United Run for the Zoo 10K- 57:55

7/11- Utica Boilermaker Road Race- 1:31:29
    8/1-Rock n Roll Half Marathon: 2:13:57

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010

Oh, I agree ...

For some of us, they'll go kicking and screaming ... but they'll follow.

fldogwalker wrote:

In response to growlerius:

***as  a follow up to this.   My longtime girlfriend (6.5years) and future  wife has preached ever since I met her that she hates running..  "I'm  not a runner" she would say.      Well.. long story short..  she ran  16.5 miles with me yesterday morning and races most of the events I race  and is often placing in her age group.

My 71yo mother has done two 5Ks with me since January.

msucj21 wrote:

That is a very encouraging and motivating post.  I  couldn't agree with you more.  I feel like 99.5% of running is mental.   When I was in high school and ran Cross Country and Track, I hated every  minute of it.  I could not wait to"get it over with". 

However, I  stepped back into the game in January and finally had my breakthrough  moment.  I've realized my runs are the one thing I look forward to every  day when I wake up.  Running has become a huge part of me and my  identity over the past few months. 

I was never athletic when I was a kid (I hated sports.  I was always the kid who was picked last in P.E. )

I kind of got into racewalking by accident (long story).  Up until last year, I never knew there was something I could do!

Marykb wrote:

I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but how about a reality  check?

Sometimes  you have an injury.  Sometimes your mind says GO and your body  C.A.N.N.O.T  do it.  Yeah, you can take painkillers and push through the  pain to a point.  But then the injury gets worse.  Your body is a  machine and your brain is command central.  If a piece of the machine is  broken, then it can't move no matter what the message coming through  is.

I  LOVE to run.  My mind and heart are always up for it.  My torn  ligament/tendinitis/whatever the heck it is in the back of my knee is  going to put the brakes on that no matter how much I want to run.  And  believe me, I am all about running through the pain because I WANT to  run.  Looking for the lazy way out?  Uh-uh!  I don't want an excuse or a  reason to stop.  I am so stubborn that I won't stop until the leg  simply refuses to function any further.  Meanwhile I am probably risking  some long term damage by running on this injury.

***hugs Marykb***

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...