Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

49558 Views 329 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 10:18 AM by LookingUpwards Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Previous Next
  • bethking0710 Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Apr 23, 2010 7:01 AM (in response to raytodd)
    Re: Starting c25k on the 19th

Getting ready to go do my W1D3 workout.  Very excited! Having some shin pain but will work through it.  Good job everyone and keep it up!

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    106. Apr 23, 2010 7:25 AM (in response to raytodd)

Hey Raymond, I was recently a newbie too and used to get hurt a lot. I found out all the craming was from dehydration, even though I was chugging water like a frat guy at a kegger. I hate Gatorade with an undying passion and found out that Vita Coco rehydrates better and tastes great as well. If it weren't for Vita Coco I would probably have given up, so I highly recommend it.

• Dukowitz Amateur 31 posts since
    Sep 3, 2007
    107. Apr 23, 2010 11:52 AM (in response to raytodd)

c25k w1d3 has been COMPLETED!  Week 1 is in the books!

Having finished up my most recent semester in school, my classmates are out of town so I did a weight lifting workout with my Dad and a neighbor this morning.  They go for a 3 mile walk after their workouts so I seized the opportunity to integrate w1d3 with their walk.  Now, my Dad and neighbor are in the 65-70 year old age bracket however, they still walk much faster than my two classmates.  In fact, my average pace per mile was 2 minutes and 39 seconds faster than my first two workouts of the week (15:08 as compared to 17:47)

I've logged this workout with my Garmin GPS at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30987629.

~ Scott

www.icanrunaminute.com

• sayjay75 Amateur 38 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    108. Apr 23, 2010 12:44 PM (in response to raytodd)

Wooo Hooo!  Week one is done!  It looks like everyone survived.....way to go!  I have run 5 days this week...logged 7 miles total and I have seen an improvement in the ease of doing the runs.  My shins are still a little sore today and now my hips are sore.  I am taking the weekend off from running to let my body rest and I will be back out there on Monday!!  Have a great weekend everyone and I will catch up with you all on Monday!

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going~ Jim Ryun

Dead last finish is better than did not finish which greatly trumps did not start!~Unknown

8/8~ Maine Lobster Festival 10k   Rockland, ME

9/19 5th Annual IDIC 15 5k Run~Killingotn, VT (hoping to do one sooner than this)

• mmcrn29 Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 15, 2010
    109. Apr 23, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to sayjay75)

I did my W1D3 on the treadmill at the gym this morning, again at 4.3MPH for the jogs and 3.3MPH for the walks.  It felt good, and I was so pleased with myself when I was done with it!  I am still planning to repeat W1 next week and then move on to W2 in my actual third week of the program.

For those experiencing shin pain, icing down your shins when you get home and taking ibuprofen might help your recovery there.  If you are getting some shin pain, that could turn into shin splints, and they are AWFUL.  As soon as I feel a twinge of shin pain, I am planning to crack out the ice and try to nip them in the bud.

Hope you all had a good week!

Started C25K on Monday, April 19, 2010...the first steps on a journey to a healthier me!

• JenInMpls Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 20, 2010
    110. Apr 23, 2010 5:09 PM (in response to raytodd)

Caydel, Sasha, Scott, I also am on dailymile now: http://www.dailymile.com/people/JenInMpls Scott I see you already found it, thanks for the post.

I really need some cheerleading!  Did W1D2 last night and really had to hunt down some friends today to tell me I'm doing well. My partner really doesn't give a crap, I think she thinks I'm crazy.

Got my sights set on a 5K in late June now thanks to my crazy friend I checked in with!  She said "aw heck Jen, you'll TOTALLY be able to do a race in June!".  I told her I'd commit by May 15 one way or the other.

W1D2 felt really good - had to concentrate on the breathing but tried running with some gum in my mouth because I read it once... other than being afraid I would choke on it, did just fine!  Now I want to run during the day so that I feel like I can run with headphones in, as I just downloaded the C25K app.  It gives you your cues for changing from walking to running while you're listening to the tunes of your choice!

Oh and I have to giggle: hey Lyle, advertise for Vita Coco much?  I can't get down on it that much, being a lover of coconut products myself, but gee, what a well-rounded athlete based on your posts, and they ALL recommend Vita Coco! heh

May be going to Running Room to look into new shoes soon; seems my feet have widened yet again after my last pregnancy. 

• DC74 Amateur 33 posts since
    Apr 20, 2010
    111. Apr 23, 2010 5:46 PM (in response to raytodd)

Congrats to everyone! I just finished W1D3 + a little. I actually started outside like the other days but it was starting to rain - I was hoping to get it finished before the bottom fell out. I warmed up and did a few of the 60/90 then it started pouring. Had to go inside to the treadmill. I actually started over with the 60/90 and did all 8 with little trouble. Does anyone else find it easier on the treadmill than outside? I've seen a couple posts saying it was. Keep up the good work everyone - see you in week 2!

• heavierthings Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    112. Apr 23, 2010 6:28 PM (in response to raytodd)

Just finished my W1D3, congrats for everyone who finished their runs!

I have to say for some reason today felt tougher than Wednesday! Except today it was more so my legs felt heavy.

I am curious, is W1 supposed to feel easy by D3, before moving onto W2?? What does everyone think...

Next week I think I will be working mostly on a treadmill, as I will be moving from hotel to hotel, so I will let you know how I feel about road vs. treadmill!

-C

C25K Day 1 - Monday April 19, 2010

You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

• Courtney.6 Amateur 37 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    113. Apr 23, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to DC74)

Hey DC74 - totally I find it easier on the treadmill... But I feel like it is wrong to be running on the treadmill... Like it s not real running - I know thats a crazy thought, but for some reason I keep thinking that when I run on it.  I love it though... But I am pushing myself to go outside more.. We will see

~c

The first step of my C210K was on  April 18, 2010 

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow." ~ Mary Anne Radmacher

• hp5010 Amateur 17 posts since
    Apr 23, 2010
    114. Apr 23, 2010 6:36 PM (in response to raytodd)

Hi everyone,

Did w1d1 today so I'm a couple days behind everyone.  I've been hesitant to start this - bad knees, didn't want to look stupid at the gym, yadda, yadda, yadda - and finally decided to jump in with both feet.  Today was no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.  Now, how I'll feel in the morning, that's a different story.  Hopefully this time will the the last time I "start" an exercise program.  I need to get off my butt and get healthy and loose weight - not so proud member of the 200+ club.

Anyway, congrats everyone on their first week.  Keep up the good work!!

Amanda

Amanda

Re-started c25k 10/13

10/13 - 234.2#

11/3 - 231.2#

Apr 19, 2010
    115. Apr 23, 2010 6:53 PM (in response to hp5010)

hp5010 - AWESOME JOB on completing w1d1.... I totally understand the "I will look silly at the gym blah blah blah".  I was that way too, but then I went and really I didn't look too funny. And I just turned my ipod on and tuned out everyone and went into my own zone and I slowly got over it.

Now I have to do the same with outside running...

Again.  Awesome job on getting out there and doing it.  It is as tough mentally as it is physically to get started!   But you did it!  

~c

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I will try again tomorrow." ~ Mary Anne Radmacher

• JTtexas Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 20, 2010
    116. Apr 23, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to raytodd)

Hey everyone.  I'm just checking in....just finished W1D3.  Yaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!  I can hardly believe it.

To HP--I also understand not wanting to look silly at the gym.  I am sure I look completely ridiculous running. SO, I run after dark!  We have trails and sidewalks around here, so it isn't dangerous, and I don't feel self-conscious.

I am going to check out Daily Mile.  Sounds like quite a few of us "19th-ers" are on it.

Congratulations to everyone who finished or started Week 1!

• JenInMpls Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 20, 2010
    117. Apr 23, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to hp5010)

Amanda I am right with you there - we can do it!! - Jen

Apr 19, 2010
    118. Apr 23, 2010 8:46 PM (in response to raytodd)

Just created my dailymile.com profile 

I ws using mapmyrun.com, but I didn't like the layout of that site.  Thanks for the recommendation for dailymile.com

~c

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...