Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

27163 Views 135 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2010 10:16 AM by gawd RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Previous Next
  • Jennifer70271 Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 21, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Apr 23, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to gawd)
    Re: Anyone interested in weight loss?

Alternate forms of cardio. I'm curious to know what some of you do in terms of variety-- I'm looking for some other good cardio exercises to strengthen up my lungs for the next race.  There is a set of steps up to our state capital that I went up yesterday. The local firefighters use that for training. What else is good?

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    78. Apr 23, 2010 8:06 AM (in response to Jennifer70271)

I drink Vita Coco when I'm working out because it has alot less calories than regular sports drinks (only 60 calories a serving) and rehydrates and tastes better as well. I also replace dessert with it because it tastes so damn good. I highly recommend coconut water, specifically Vita Coco.

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    80. Apr 24, 2010 2:07 PM (in response to gawd)

Some random thoughts for the day -

• I finished week 5 today of the C25K program.  Absolutely amazing to run for 20 minutes in one stretch only 5 weeks after not running at all.
    • I looked back at my weight log and have lost 7lbs in the last 4 weeks.  Not a ton, but considering I'm targeting 1.5lbs a week, I'm ahead of schedule.
    • I'm approximately half way to my ultimate weight target.  I'm down 80lbs from my highest ever weight a couple of years ago and have an estimated 82lbs left to lose.
    • I'm having a hard time eating enough calories right now - without eating crap - especially on the days that I work out.
    • I can tell that I'm thinking more about the right things to eat - I just saw a commercial for a new kind of cheese that has bacon pieces in it and could only think about how fattening and disgusting that must be.
    • Just finished reading John Bingham's book 'No Need for Speed'.  Provided a lot of food for thought.
    • Having a great rest day after a good run feels awesome!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• mariefnp Pro 160 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010
    81. Apr 24, 2010 4:26 PM (in response to Trishinator)

Trishinator....

I just finished No Need for SPeed myself and found it soooo inspirational....I' m ready to run my first marathon --- hahaha!!!!  What an inspiration. I am now reading Jeff Galloway's book on running for women... ummm wait a minute I'll go find the book and title...Women's Complete Guide to Running... very good I might add.... well worth it...

Marie

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.....it is about learning how to dance in the rain!"

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - unknown

"Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope and discipline enable you to follow through to completion."

Began C25K 4/11/10 - have NEVER run in my life!!!!...C25K on hold with a knee injury

Soon to start Jeff Galloway's training program for women

• mariefnp Pro 160 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010
    82. Apr 24, 2010 4:28 PM (in response to mariefnp)

Trishinator...

WAY TO GO ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    That is so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass.....it is about learning how to dance in the rain!"

"The task ahead of you is never greater than the strength within you." - unknown

"Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope and discipline enable you to follow through to completion."

Began C25K 4/11/10 - have NEVER run in my life!!!!...C25K on hold with a knee injury

Soon to start Jeff Galloway's training program for women

• C25KMomToTwins Amateur 23 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    83. Apr 27, 2010 7:59 AM (in response to mariefnp)

Eh, my weight loss has kind of stalled.  Why does it have to be so much freaking work?  Very frustrating. 

Just venting. Sorry.

• DVBRunner Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 26, 2010
    84. Apr 27, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to C25KMomToTwins)

I am SOOO with you on your venting!  I've been exercising 30-60 min, 5-6x/week for 7 weeks now and I've only lost 2 pounds!  GRRRR!  I decided to start the South Beach yesterday, and so far, so good.  I had a headache most of the day yesterday, but today is better.  There are several good free recipies online as well as the ones in the book.  I hope this works...I just saw pictures of myself from last weekend - at 5'3" and 180#, I need something to help me lose weight.  I don't want to be fat anymore!!!   I also met with a trainer a few weeks ago - my strength is great - I'm just too heavy.  Sigh...

• mpolen Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2010
    86. Apr 27, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to gawd)

I had Gastric Bypass two years ago and have lost 140 lbs. Now I eat plenty of protein, fruits and veggies. I started running two weeks ago and now can run 3 miles without stopping. This has been a lot of fun and will run my first 5k on May 1st with Girls on the Run. It's been great being able to achieve this goal.

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    87. Apr 27, 2010 5:58 PM (in response to mariefnp)

Thanks guys!  It feels pretty good. 

I can tell that I've made some good, positive changes.....I got up this morning to do W6D1 after only 4 hours of sleep since I was at a 5 hour concert last night.  I wasn't willing to give up my run time, which is a HUGE change for me!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• heavierthings Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 19, 2010
    89. May 8, 2010 3:57 PM (in response to gawd)

I am having a really hard time! I just went back to work full time for the summer (I am a student) and I keep not making time to prepare/pack lunches and end up eating out with everyone and I am not losing anything. Also, the weather has been miserable this week so I still haven't gotten my 3rd run in and I am feeling a bit discouraged. I think I am bored and out of ideas of what to cook so that is not helping!

-C

C25K Day 1 - Monday April 19, 2010

You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...