Skip navigation

3193 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2010 7:36 AM by BallPlayer RSS
BallPlayer Rookie 4 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2010 8:37 AM

High School Off-Season Fitness Program - advice?

Hi!

I am a second-year 12-man high  school football head coach here in Canada.  I am trying to design an  off-season fitness program for my athletes, both during the school  off-season and for the summer holiday months.  In the past, we have  tried various initiatives with varied degrees of success, (regular  workouts consisting of beep-tests, running and weight training).  Points  of discussion I have include:

1. Attendance numbers for the workouts are  usually low... how can I improve this?
  2. Any ideas on how often  we should have our workouts?  What should the workouts consist of?   Help!
  3. Summer-months July and August - (where my athletes are  not in school, they are on "summer holidays") - I need them to workout  intensely as this is the important lead-up time to the season.  I want  to have them show up to the fall camp "in shape", but few do show up fit  and ready to go...  comments?
  4. I need to communicate with my  athletes and I am thinking cell phone text messaging is the way to go...  I wonder how I could make this happen?

Cory

• SportsPerformanceGuy Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 17, 2010
    1. Apr 17, 2010 9:55 PM (in response to BallPlayer)
    Re: High School Off-Season Fitness Program - advice?

Cory,

I would be happy to help you create a Off-Season Speed, Agility, and general fitness program for your athletes.  If you could please give me a call at 318-265-0206

dh

DO Right and Fear NO man!

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    2. Apr 23, 2010 8:10 AM (in response to BallPlayer)

I would make them drink Vita Coco to rehydrate instead of Gatorade, it has 1/3 more electrolytes and tastes better as well. It's also a miracle cure for hangovers.

• STORM__72 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    3. May 20, 2010 1:54 AM (in response to BallPlayer)

Sir, I am not an expert on this subject but I will give you some tips that I have seen implemented with tremendous success. First of all you have to create a dialogue with your leaders and returning players on your team. Depending on the rules or policies of your school you should run it similar to a business atmosphere. You are the CEO and will delegate responsibilities to your assistants and your team leaders(usually the handful of guys who seem to work harder than everyone else).

Create a comprehensive workout plan (theres tons of styles out there that incorporate plyometrics/weight training/ endurance/ flexibility training) with the assistance of your staff. Make sure you know your plan like the back of your hand and be able to demonstrate if need be. A lot of schools have what we call a bigger /faster /stronger program. It is usually similar in styles and regimen. It includes working out after school everyday and a 3 hour dynamic workout session on saturdays. The part that everyone fails at, is having the same workouts everyday. Kids like to be challenged and introduced to new things so keep it fresh. Since it is not college and they are not on scolarships or required to participate these kids will fade real fast. Keep it fresh. Keep your leaders close and help them to create a culture.

At the end of your season pass out your plan to your returning players.

Since Mixed Martial Arts is the craze, you might wanna look at some mma crosstraining workouts. I know from experience, they are pretty freakish.

Take a chapter out of the Marinovich brothers book. They have trained many champions from football to MMA. Try Crossfit. Try Insanity.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points