Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2909 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2010 9:03 AM by Lyle65
StephcottXC Rookie 8 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2007 8:59 PM

Pilates anyone?

I just added pilates into my running program and was wondering if anyone else has done the same thing?  So far I really like it.  I seem a little bit more flexible and feel like I get a great strength training work out from it.  I got some DVD's on half.com for really cheap. 
     What are others experiances with pilates and has it helped your running?

• OldXCguy Pro 194 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 13, 2007 1:25 PM (in response to StephcottXC)
    Re: Pilates anyone?

The improved core strength and flexibility that you gain from Pilates will definitely help your running.  You will be able to engage your core to maintain proper posture while you run.

• rochey Rookie 186 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 21, 2007 7:19 PM (in response to StephcottXC)

I love Pilates and when I was doing it regularly, I felt like it helped my running in terms of flexibility and strength.  You really have to focus on breathing properly, which is obviously important when hitting a tough workout or race.  I've just started back up with it. 

----

My profile[/URL" target="_blank">
    Me[/URL" target="_blank">

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    3. Aug 4, 2007 4:48 PM (in response to StephcottXC)

I've tried Yoga and it really helped with flexibility and stride. Perhaps Yoga is even better than pilates. Because pilatas some random dude made in the early 1900's not to say that is is bad or anything. But Yoga is more deep and you get back stretches and many leg stretches that can help prevent other injuries. And plus it helps with breathing and meditation.

• Maple17 Rookie 12 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Aug 4, 2007 6:27 PM (in response to StephcottXC)

quote:

Originally posted by MarcusB:

I've tried Yoga and it really helped with flexibility and stride. Perhaps Yoga is even better than pilates. Because pilatas some random dude made in the early 1900's not to say that is is bad or anything. But Yoga is more deep and you get back stretches and many leg stretches that can help prevent other injuries. And plus it helps with breathing and meditation.

I've done both, and I'm a total Pilates convert. You get the deep stretching AND the core strength, as well as breathing, too. After 6 months of pilates twice a week, I now have very strong core, and the usual running aches and pains I used to get (IT problem in hip, shin splints on and off) seem to have gone away. Plus, people have commented that my posture is better now. . . . an added bonus!

• runnertkd Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 28, 2005
    6. Aug 13, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to StephcottXC)

Please post your favorite DVD's.  I'd love to add to my workouts!!  Thanks

• bcc594 Rookie 147 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Aug 21, 2007 8:49 PM (in response to StephcottXC)

"Power Yoga for Endurance Athletes", by Caron Shepley.  Available at: www.bluedogyoga.com[/URL" target="_blank">  It includes some great core work.  She also has a core conditioning DVD available, which is BRUTALLY hard.

• Lyle65 Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010
    8. Apr 23, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to StephcottXC)

Pilates used to exhaust me and zap me of all my energy, but I began to take better care of my body because of it so I will have to agree with you. I felt awkward showing up to class in yoga pants with a fat ***, so I started to eat better and healthier foods and replaced my soda with Vita Coco. It's helped a ton.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...