Skip navigation

896 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2005 9:41 PM by mrbassman RSS
gigicita Rookie 4 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 22, 2005 8:01 AM

new back/hip pain

rode the first part of the season just fine- ave. group rides on weekends w/racers so the pace is high w/ave. speed being around 22mph over 3 hrs.

Bike fit was fine, no problems. Then a month ago started having a 'tight'back on my lower right hip.  I tried lowering my mileage, speed etc. and nothing worked so I started tweaking the bike by changing seat angle and height- it's better but still there.  I'm wondering if its the cleats since i did change shoes? or handlebars?

what else can I do? this is now keeping me from the weekend rides :(-   I am female if that helps

• Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 27, 2005 10:30 PM (in response to gigicita)
    Re: new back/hip pain

I'm not sure about how true this is so this might not help, this is what I heard.  Hip and back pain is often caused by how much pressure is put on those parts of the body (duh, but stay with me) and you can reduce some of that pressure also with your handlebars.  By placing a little bit more of your body's pressure in your arms rather than the seat, it can reduce pressure and more evenly distrubute the weight of your body.  I guess, what I mean is in a way (I stress "in a way") push your body up with your arms.  It's kind of hard to explain, but give it a try.  Hope it works, 'cause back pain sucks!

• passion2ride Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 30, 2005 5:15 PM (in response to gigicita)

Hi...I have recently gone through what you are describing, though my first bout hit in the biggest race of the season...bummer.  Anyway, for me, it was the cleats/pedals.  I had switched from Speedplay Xplays to Zeros, and had the float pretty close in, as I have a natural tendency to ride w/ my right heel out.  Thought keeping it more in line, like on my mtb spd's would help efficiency.  WRONG!!!  My lower back started killing me, and my right hip was always hurting, not to mention super tight hamstrings.  It continued beyond that race for the next several rides.  I then loosened the float...to the max the Zeros allow, and presto...the pain is all but gone.  It was a process of elimination, what had changed over the last several months...

My chiropractor gave me several stretches to do to stretch that area...that may factor into the alleviation of the problem, too.

Just my experience,  but if you did change out cleats...be sure that they are in the EXACT same place/angle/alignment as your old ones were.  Be sure your float setting is the same, too.  Even 15degrees can make a HUGE difference over multiple use injuries....

Well, good luck, hope this can help you get back and comfy on the bike real soon!!!  Girls rock!!!

• edkrs1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Nov 20, 2005 2:46 PM (in response to gigicita)

Doing sports massage I see a lot of runners and cyclists.  Most don't stretch.  Most that do stretch, don't do it very well.  Every time a muscle is used it is contracted, when relaxed it returns to almost the original length.  With lots of contractions in your hamstrings and a constant contraction of your low back muscles there is a lot of pressure on your hips.  Since one side is always a bit stronger than the other it is able to contract more--that is why there is only pain on one side.  It may be the "tight" side or just caused by the tight side.  Find a massage therapist to balance your muscles out.  If you need more help add the skill of a chiropractor.

• mrbassman Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Nov 20, 2005 9:41 PM (in response to gigicita)

I have to agree with passion2ride.....I had pain in my right leg that was really bad and it turned out to be the cleats. I run zero float and my foot was not in it's "natural" position. After adjusting the cleats so my foot was more natural, the pain was gone. Let your feet dangle when sitting down and see which way they point, toe or heel in or out, and that's the natural position you want. Also look at a pair of well-worn shoes and see how they are wearing out, also make sure the cleat is on the ball of your foot.  Feel Better !!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...