Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

44252 Views 393 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2010 10:52 AM by Leigh Van Etten 1 2 3 ... 27 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 22, 2010 1:28 PM

2010 Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon & miniMarathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the 2010 Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon & miniMarathon below Back to event details page.

• SandyBT Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 22, 2010

I really REALLY REALLY dislike trying to use this active.com site VERY VERY user unfriendly........there is no place to enter any rating.....

• speediie Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2010

I have been running the mini for 20 years and was very upset with the way the finish line was setup.   My suppport team was on the right and I had to walk at least a mile to get to them.  Please change the finish line back to where it was.

• AmyAvery Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

This was a crowded race....very tightly packed and people weren't in correct corrals; there were walkers in higher corrals that blocked the middle of the road! I was pretty disappointed with the finish line too, there were people crossing it in front of me, I'm sure I lost a few seconds and didn't get a picture at all....

All in all, it was an ok race, lots of nice hydration and community involvement. However the finish line was a disaster and the entire half course was super crowded...I like how the rock 'n roll races do it where there are different finishes for the races but same general area....finding people's family took forever, the finish chutes were super long!

• Horse_Fly Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 2, 2008

The spirit and excitement of the KY Derby MiniMarathon is great.  The scenery is great as well and the trip through Churchill Downs is memorable.  I liked the first 12 miles and felt the new start location was better than the old one and less crowded, but with that many people, they really ought to consider a rolling or a wave start in the future.  Louisville has the best spectators and volunteers!  Perhaps we could do some "Scream Team" zones one day for more organized cheering.

Please get even more port-a-cans.  We were not the last ones on the buses and still missed the start of the race.

I was not happy with being forced to ride the buses in the morning to the start line.  I live 30-45 minutes from downtown and getting up at 4am did not make for a fun morning.  I was already worn out before the race even started and all of my breakfast had worn off. 

I also HATED the new windy trip at the end around the Humana parking garage and arena.  I don't think I was the only one.  There were a lot of people who were walking at that point because all the "It's just around the corner" promises were broken 4 times before it really was just around the corner.  All the turns sucked my will to live.  Why not take the course further out and then bring it straight back down Main?  It would be nice to run passed the Slugger bat, Frazier Museum, and Glassworks.

Also, the end chute was ridiculously long.  How are you supposed to cheer on your friends when it takes you 30 minutes to get back around to the start?  Although, I am aware that other races do this same thing, so I guess it is what it is.

HorseFly

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly." - Buddha

• PatrickRyanUL Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 7, 2009

The Derby Marathon was a challenging run.  I had run the Mini in the past, and liked the change of the start line.  Cutting off the neighborhoods made for a quicker pace start.  The shorter distance to the park was a nice warm-up.

Running up Sothern Parkway is always fun, especially with the crowd support.   The race is not nearly as crowded as some make it out to be ? I had no problem keeping a good pace (9:30) and didn?t have to weave that much.   

The split at 11 miles for the marathon group was kind of depressing with 10 thousand people going left and only 1100 continuing toward Cherokee.   I think this transition could be improved.

Running to and though Cherokee was great; but I would have loved to come out and run down Bardstown Road instead of the neighborhoods just west of it.   At this point, the crowds dwindled off.

Running toward downtown and across the 2nd street bridge was exciting, the crowds were still thick (cheering on the Mini runners); however, entering into Indiana was depressing.   It wasn?t until the street on the river that there were many onlookers.   Thankfully the businesses on the road came out to setup water stops and cheer the runners on!  (By the way, this will totally make me go visit their establishments!)

Once headed back to Kentucky, and over the apex of the bridge, it was mostly downhill.   Crowd support was still there (minus the areas under construction).   The .20 mile run to the finish was perfect - just enough distance to give it one last sprint.  

I concur with the other posters that the shoot after crossing the finish was way too long.   My sister was 20 minutes behind me, and I could get out of the shoot in time to see her finish.   

Overall, this was a good race.  I agree that there are other sites we could have run by, (as mentioned Slugger bat, Frazier Museum, and Glassworks all would have been nice to see.)   I also think that it would impove the run if the new bridge gets completed so we aren't backtracking across 2nd street.

• aennadal Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010

this being my first mini marathon I cant compare with past races, I will say that for me it was  amazing ,I did not expect to come in anywhere under 3 or even 4 hours, but I did ok,for me it was the doing,finishing. There was one thing that really bothered me ,at the start if I heard right( i apologize if i did not) the announcer stated that if you were in coral D and it took you 6hrs. to finish you had no buissness running a marathon,I just thought that was wrong ,thank God people on the sidelines were cheering every one along, that really kept us going even when we wanted to quit,thank you every one from the youngest child who handed out water to the seniors at the the nursing home downtown and the frat boys from U of L in between ,thanks yuall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might just try this again.

Apr 25, 2010

this being my first mini marathon I cant compare with past races, I will say that for me it was  amazing ,I did not expect to come in anywhere under 3 or even 4 hours, but I did ok,for me it was the doing,finishing. There was one thing that really bothered me ,at the start if I heard right( i apologize if i did not) the announcer stated that if you were in coral D and it took you 6hrs. to finish you had no buissness running a marathon,I just thought that was wrong ,thank God people on the sidelines were cheering every one along, that really kept us going even when we wanted to quit,thank you every one from the youngest child who handed out water to the seniors at the the nursing home downtown and the frat boys from U of L in between ,thanks yuall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might just try this again.

Apr 25, 2010

• rojas4 Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I liked the old course much better. Also, the course is long. At least 10 people around me with GPS watches measured the course between 13.36 and 13.5 miles.

• JamieScaccia Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009

This was my second half marathon and I appreciated the crowd, other runners, and the excitement of it all!  I thought the location of the park towards the start was perfect for all of those hills making the rest of the running relatively easier.  It was a lot of fun to go through Churchill Downs too!

Compared to my last race (given, only one other half) I would have appreciated more gatorade/powerade and/or snacks.  There were some nice onlookers who brought oranges but they were long gone... After the race I had to wait at least 30 minutes to find my family and was worried it wouldn't happen!

• Jim Yeager Jr Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2010

The race (mini) was great, minus the start.  I loved the folks who lined the route to cheer.  We got there with what I thought was plenty of time, but missed the start due to waiting in port-o-john line.  Starting with the D gaters made it very difficult to hold pace early (like the first 3 or 4 miles!!!).  I ended up missing mt goal time, but still had a great time.  If the start situation can be improved I will definitely be back to run again.

• mikeydoordont Amateur 23 posts since
    Mar 31, 2009

other than the start i started in corral d which made for almsot 25 mins to hit the start line after the start of the race think this could be redone a lil better the old start allowed more room for ppl to jockey in, the end was fun but as usal for those of us that arent elite runners lot of the goodies were gone.. stilltho for my 3rd mini  it was fun and enjoyable

papa johns 10 miler 4/3/10  2:27:55

KY DERBY FESTIVAL MINI MARATHON 3:01:10

wally bright bake off 1.5 MILE 5/18/10 18:08

melt down 7/17/10 1st 31:10:00 2nd 34:02 3rd 33:45

taterbug 30 mile ultra thon 11/6/10 unable to compete rather wait a year then get a dnf

start weight 1/1/10 274.01 2 packs a day, current 236.03  less than 1 goal 211.00 1/1/11 and no packs

• shroom-a-zoom-zoom Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2009

I thought the begginning of the race was great.  I liked getting Iroquois Park out of the way early.  The course up until mile 12 was also nicely planned and well broken up. 

However, the last mile was a nightmare.  I hated all the turns and twists at the end, and running back up 1st street was a kick in the teeth.  More importantly, I think mixing the Full Marathon runners with the Mini Marathon jogger/walkers (of which I was one) was a TERRIBLE idea.  I can't imagine running 25 miles trying to qualify and all of a sudden you run into a massive group of walkers.  You could tell the Full Marathoners were pissed, as they should be.  It was also somewhat disheartening for us slower Mini Marathoners to be "trampled" by the Full runners.  I really think the two races shouldn't merge unless it is immediately in front of the finish line or unless they are separated by lanes/ropes. 

To end on a positive note.  I did like have the finish line located where it was.  It was nice to be running somewhat downhill when crossing the finish line.  That was a nice touch.  Thanks again to all the volunteers.

• THV Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 30, 2009

This is the 6th or so time for me to run the mini-marathon, but the first time in about 5 years due to becoming a mom.  That being said, I enjoyed myself once again, but hope there are a couple of changes to next year's race.  First, I found going into Churchill Downs rather challenging as the path narrowed quite a bit going into the tunnels. There were very large puddles and big mud patches that were difficult to avoid to prevent from slipping as it was difficult to see the roadway in front of me due to so many other runners in a narrowing track.  Second, I truly disliked the fact that they moved from small water bottles to water cups at the water stations.  I am not an experienced runner and only do it for fun and fitness.  Therefore, I found drinking from cups quite challenging with only a bit of water getting into mouth and most of the water ending up down the front of my shirt.  I ended up with my calves cramping at about mile 11 and I truly contribute this to my lack of water, although I did try to drink it.

All in all, it is a good race, though, and a true sense of accomplishment when crossing the finish line.  Congrats to all the mini-marathoners and marathoners who competed!

1 2 3 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...