Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1988 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2010 2:41 PM by coolbikermom RSS
coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
Jan 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2010 11:20 AM

Started C25k, didn't finish but still running

Ok guys, so I did the C25k program up until about week 7 and then dropped it because my 5k race was coming up and I wasn't getting the distance in (I'm a slow, but steady runner). I switched my focus to distance and have since just built on that.

Has anybody else done this? Where did you ditch it and how did you change your running goals?

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    1. Apr 25, 2010 3:31 PM (in response to coolbikermom)
    Re: Started C25k, didn't finish but still running

You can do the C25K based on time or distance.  Many people on these forums transitioned from time to distance around the time that you did. That doesn't mean you dropped out.

If you are running the prescribed distance or time, 3 days a week, you are still working the program.

Once you get to week 7 you are running 2.5 miles or 25 minutes, week 8 is 2.75 miles or 28 minutes, week 9 is 3.0 miles or 30 minutes.

Even though I have completed 2 5K's I still don't consider myself a graduate.  I had to struggle way to much that last mile.

Even though I haven't been able to run much in the past 4 weeks because of some set-backs.  I don't consider myself a drop-out.

I still need to work on my endurance and speed, so I'm back to working my way up from a 20 minute run today, to being able to comfortably run my next 5K, 2.5 weeks from now.

I do hope to graduate someday.   (I will consider myself a graduate when I have completed three 3 mile runs in 1 week which I have not done yet.)

Best wishes as you continue to run... and don't consider yourself a drop-out if you are still running.

Think positive thoughts...

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• msugrad93 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 25, 2010
    2. Apr 25, 2010 8:13 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

I did the same thing at about the same time, around 7 weeks.  I felt like I could keep going when the little voice told me to walk or if not, I wanted to start running before the little voice told me to run.  I continued running on my own on the treadmill throughout the winter months, but was not able to go further than 2-2.5 miles each time.  Now that the weather is getting nicer and I want to start running outside and increasing my distance, I went back to the program and started on week 8.  I haven't been consistent enough and only run a couple times a week.  I don't feel ready to move past week 8 yet.  I do love this program however.  Even just for the fact that I can start my music and have the reminders to tell me when I am "half-way done", or have "2 minutes remaining".  I love that one!  I never thought of myself as a runner but now I do.  I am proud that I can run as far as I can now, even though I would like to build on that, and like thinking back to last summer when I was struggling to finish week one, day one!  What a difference a year can make! 

• Lindainred Pro 130 posts since
    Jun 8, 2009
    3. Apr 26, 2010 4:16 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

I just ran W7/D2 and was considering switching from time to distance, however since I'm sooo slow, it would have taken me 40 minutes to complete the 2.5 miles vs. the timed 25 minutes I've been following to this point.  Honestly, I'm not ready for that big of a jump, maybe it's a mental thing... but this is a good question and got me thinking what I'd need to do to work my way up to my 5K on May 15...at my current pace I'd need to add 3 minutes every other day, hmmm...   Reconsider changing your tagline, you are NOT a dropout!  Like the previous posters, C25K is timed or distance, AND your still running

3/15/2010: Started C25K

5/15/2010: http://miheartwalk.kintera.org/lhunkele

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    4. Apr 27, 2010 8:47 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Coolbikermom,

You already know this but for the others I will add a little of my background as well as my thoughts.

I was already power walking pretty hard core before making the decision to run. I started the C25K just over six weeks ago but felt it too easy considering my level of fitness, so I doubled the existing C25K program for each day. I reported my progress in another thread (starting the C25K at 50 like me) which I have since abandoned feeling that thread was not for me after all.

Yesterday I started Week 6 Workout 1. It was after that workout that I decided to abandon the C25K program all together. I feel I would benefit more to just run within the window of my usual 60-70 minutes including my warm up and cool down. If I need to I will walk (power walk) at brief intervals within that time frame but only if I absolutely must. I will just run as long as my body can handle it thereby increasing my distance within the same set time frame as my level of fitness increases.

I see this more as a graduation to the next level, not dropping out. I am running for the sheer pleasure running gives me. It is a personal challenge. I do not plan to compete nor do I expect to win races. I may do some 5k runs for reasons of just doing them but my competition is with myself. I am not doing it for weight loss in fact the only biproduct of running I am not happy with is the associated weight loss.

Your thread title and questions within made me feel a sense of belonging in that we did things very similarly so I wanted to add my two cents here.

Onward and Forward !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...