Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1033 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: May 4, 2010 7:17 PM by calbiker RSS
meryl27 Pro 116 posts since
May 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 25, 2010 9:35 PM

Treadmill Frustrations / Technical Difficulties

I'm a working mother and have to fit my runs in whenever I can.  Getting out of the house for an hour is just not an option very often, so I rely on my treadmill.  While I hated the "dreadmill" in the beginning, I've grown used to it and now find it easy to mentally escape while running indoors.

The problem is, I seem to be having repeated problems with the belt moving off center.  I have tried everything per the owners manual to fix this.  I have made sure that the floor is level and I'm following guidelines for electrical power.  Adjusting the tension on the rollers seems to work temporarily, but eventually (this time after about 2 months of use), it always seems to slip again.  It takes hours (literally) of trial and error to get it adjusted properly, only for this to happen time and time again.  I'm beyond frustrated.

I should say also that I've had this happen to two machines now.  The first one, I discarded, thinking it was due to the treadmill being very old (I had used it for years as a clothes hanger).  I now own a ProForm T10 (which I purchased used in Dec '09). The previous owner told me it is about 5 years old and was bought with the best of intentions, but not used very much.

I don't expect anyone here to solve my specific issue w/o being able to see my machine.  I'm just wondering if this is a common problem and if anyone else has any general advice on what (if anything) I might be doing to cause this.  Is this problem just a fact of life that I must accept when using a treadmill regularly?  Someone suggested that maybe I favor one leg when I run and therefore, I could be causing this?!? Is that even possible? 

Meryl I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday. ~Author Unknown

C25K Graduate 7/18/2009

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. May 4, 2010 7:17 PM (in response to meryl27)
    Re: Treadmill Frustrations / Technical Difficulties

A few things come to mind,

If your belt is too loose it will float side to side. If you adjusted it properly and it still floats it is either an old and stretched belt that needs replacing or you may have a problem with the tension adjusters.

It also could be you under tensioned it when you adjusted it which is why it only lasted two months. Try adjusting the belt loose while walking on it until it starts to slip, then tighten it down to where it stops slipping, then give it about another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more tension on each side making sure the belt is centered.

Even though the person you bought it from claims it was hardly used, I would venture to bet it has five years of good use and the belt needs to be replaced. Stretched out belts never stay adjusted or centered.

If all else fails, try looking for more information here 

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Reviews/Treadmill-Review-Brand-Index

Good luck, let me know how you do?

Onward and Forward !

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points