Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5658 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2010 9:22 PM by debplus4 1 2 Previous Next
vegdr Amateur 10 posts since
Mar 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2010 4:09 PM

How often to run?

Hi.  I'm on week 4 of C25K and I'm doing great!  I'm actually enjoying this and I think I like running, finally.  My knees are finally not giving me fits anymore.  I feel I want to run more than 3 days a week, but the C25K instructions say to skip a day to rest.  Will I eventually get to the point where I can run whenever I want?  How often do many seasoned runners run?  I'm not talking about training for a race, but running for recreation.

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    1. Apr 26, 2010 5:05 PM (in response to vegdr)
    Re: How often to run?

I just read and article on active.com by a writer whose research shows a significantly higher injury rate in people who run more often than every 48 hours.

So take take a break on your inbetween days.  Work on strength training.  Work on your abs and upper body,   Swim if you must, but don't run.

Your body need the day in between to repair the damage to the muscles that running causes, making the muscles stronger.

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 26, 2010 6:59 PM (in response to vegdr)

Stick to the plan, at least until you finish.  Later, as you build fitness and up your mileage, running four or five days per week becomes more realistic.  But make any increases slow and gradual, to allow your body to adjust to increased stresses.

Len

Len

• iRunDetroit Expert 45 posts since
    Feb 12, 2010
    4. Apr 26, 2010 7:53 PM (in response to vegdr)

I currently run 5 days a week using Monday and Thursdays as my off days. They keey is, like Lenz said, make any increases slow and to pay attention to your body. If you feel like maybe you need an extra day after a hard run then take an extra day.

iRunDetroit.com blog  |  iRunDetroit on Atlinks

• JasonFitz1 Legend 574 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    5. Apr 27, 2010 7:47 AM (in response to vegdr)

Vegdr - Len is right, stick to the plan.  Once your done with C25k and you are ready for bigger challenges, perhaps try the 10k program.  As you are a relatively new runner, your main priority right now is to build your aerobic base and stay injury-free.  Even if you feel good, cross-train but don't run yet on those off days.  Once you have 8-12 months of consistent training 3-4 days per week then you can try running 5-6 days per week.  Keep it easy, keep it fun. 

I will have to disagree with the previous poster than you need a day off to recover.  That may be true after a very long run or difficult workout, but a reasonably fit person who is running several times per week is not doing "damage" to her muscles with a 3-4 mile run.  I believe a runner sets herself up for injury if they're not consistent.  Once you're over the hump of beginner, run more often to make it second nature.  As long as you're making sure easy runs are easy and working on your strength, you shouldn't have problems.  Good luck, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • nortoons Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    6. Apr 27, 2010 8:38 AM (in response to JasonFitz1)

For a fellow "newbie" runner's perspective: I've been running consistently for about four months, and thus far I've always felt like I've needed at least one day of rest between running sessions. On these days I do some lighter cross-training on the bike and/or elliptical. Very slowly, I'm getting stronger and faster, but I'm still not ready to run more than three or four days a week yet.

• 1rowmom Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    8. Apr 28, 2010 4:05 AM (in response to vegdr)

Starting running 4 days a week back in Feb. but both knees starting bothering me this week so I'm taking the week off and will start back up on Monday but will only run 3 times a week and I'll try different shoes!

• hssf Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 2, 2010
    9. Apr 28, 2010 5:50 PM (in response to vegdr)

I successfully finished a half marathon about a month ago, and throughout my training (I used Hal Higdon's program) I only ran 3 days per week with some light cross training in between and 2 days of total rest. Not saying I'm an expert but it worked for me. I still try to run either 3 days a week, or every other day. If I have to run a couple days in a row, I try to knock down the distance of each. Like you, I have "iffy" knees, and they tend to start complaining when I run consecutive days.

• Gottherunnindone Amateur 36 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010
    10. Apr 28, 2010 6:03 PM (in response to vegdr)

I've been running for a year and while mileage doesn't seem to be a huge issue, number of days is (for me at least).  Anytime I go over three days, everything starts hurting.  I need a break between runs.  I'm currently reading Run Less, Run Faster by Bill Pierce and he advocates three days a week of running with two days of cross training so that's my new plan.  Run on M,W,F and row or bike on T and Th.  I hope to gradually increase mileage on those three days without injuring any thing.  I've tried four days a week, five days a week...just isn't working for me.  Sucks getting old!!! 

Freihofer's Run For Women 5k-6/05/10- 36:53

Altamont 5k- 8/28/10- 35:14

Race for the Cure 5k- 10/02/10- 33:21

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."  Harriet Beecher Stowe

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Apr 28, 2010 6:32 PM (in response to Gottherunnindone)

I was exactly the same way.  I was fine with 3 days per week, but everytime I tried to step up to 4 or tried to run on consecutive days I would have knee and shin pain.  I was stuck like that for a couple of years.

The book Chi Running helped me get past that barrier.  In the past six months I have been running 4 days per week and often do all three weekday runs on consecutive days without pain.  I'm running more miles than I thought I would ever be able to run and recovering from long runs (15 miles last weekend) in just one day.  For me, I think being able to add that fourth day of running per week was what I needed to really make progress extending my long run.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• RunninOnE Pro 74 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    12. Apr 28, 2010 7:20 PM (in response to vegdr)

Take it very easy and listen to your body.  If you feel stiff, tired, sore, or motivation wanes, back off!

"Listen to everyone, follow no one..."

What's your weekly mileage?  Spread that out over four days, and if you want to increase your mileage, don't add more than a mile or two per week.

Act like a horse.  Be dumb.  Just run.

- Jumbo Elliot

Smile, it confuses people.

• 27222712 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2010
    13. Apr 28, 2010 7:22 PM (in response to vegdr)

I run monday through friday and sometimes i do 5k's on saturdays.

• Gilly11 Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 31, 2010
    14. Apr 28, 2010 8:21 PM (in response to vegdr)

When you are new or coming back to the sport it's good to stay on schedule. Injuries are the most common reason why runners quit. If you love it so much, you would be really disappointed if you had to take time off. Probably if things go well for you going to 4 days/week by summer should be good!

Gill

Steps to learning... is running and learning...

www.runningmyspace

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points