Skip navigation

6112 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2010 11:28 PM by 3XJumper RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • MrAmbition5 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 27, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: OC Marathon Reviews

Do you get anything for doing the half marathon?

• Ninerman72 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2009
    16. Apr 27, 2010 4:32 PM (in response to MrAmbition5)

Yah-- you get a cool finisher medal. I think it's in the shape of wave this year.

• msathyan Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2010
    17. Apr 28, 2010 9:50 PM (in response to Guest )

I couldn't find any link that allows me to register. Could someone please share the link. Thanks.

• Luciegirl Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    18. Apr 28, 2010 9:54 PM (in response to Guest )

Been trying to register for hours prior to the deadline!!!!  What gives?  How on earth do I register for this event?

• michellelkramer Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2010
    19. Apr 28, 2010 10:14 PM (in response to Guest )

Help!! I can't find out how to register either! Have any of you had any luck? Thanks!

• Jane Martin Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    20. Apr 28, 2010 11:32 PM (in response to Guest )

There is a way to register -- copy and paste this link into your browser and register away....we will keep it open another hour 1am for your frustration and it will not be a pain to register at the expo, we have a new speedy service this year for on site registration -- www.active.com/framed/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1769952

• Luciegirl Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    21. Apr 29, 2010 7:24 AM (in response to Jane Martin)

Well an 11:30pm post letting me know I can register until 1:00am actually didn't do me any good.  After trying for a couple hours, I had to go to bed.  Very frustrating.  Perhaps the "secret map" to the registration that works should have been revealed earlier.  Very frustrating.

• Jane Martin Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    22. Apr 29, 2010 7:34 AM (in response to Luciegirl)

Something happened on the "ACTIVE" side of the registration and I hope you realize that the OC Marathon was as frustrated as you. We probably many others that chose not to register because of this issue. We were able to work through the problem after getting a rep on the phone at that time of night and when we were finally able to get a register button active again, it was late. We kept it open an hour later and we are sorry for any inconveience.

OC Marathon

• Gladrags Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2010
    23. May 2, 2010 3:44 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first 5K and I had a great time, however, I would like to suggest at the starting line that the runners are all on one side like on the left and the walkers all on the right side, or something simuliar.  It was a mess for the runners to have to weave through all the walkers at the beginning of the race.  Other than that it was great and I am already planning on registering for the next one.

• historyrunner Expert 29 posts since
    Jul 7, 2007
    24. May 2, 2010 5:22 PM (in response to Guest )

My only real gripe was the portajohn situation at the start and the first half of the marathon. Once the half marathon runners were gone there was very little to no wait at the portajohns. Some points of the course were fantastic others not so great. Running next a to a ravine in Santa Ana sucked. The volunteers were super friendly. Overall the event was pretty good, most of the things I complained about will hopefully be fixed next year. The mile markers were way off and the course was a tad short. The first half of the course for the most part was stunning. I wish they started the full marathon half an hour before the half..........

• Amanda Morehouse Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    25. May 2, 2010 6:41 PM (in response to Guest )

I will tell you my personal story so take it with a grain of salt if you like. On the website I couldn't get an easily find any course map. When I tried to email them about this a few weeks ago, the Contact Us link bounced back twice as undeliverable. The day before we went to the fair and found the course map. The problem? The Start and Finish lines are at two different points miles apart. If you've run marathons before you know this is very annoying to have your family have to drop you off/pick you up at different places. Why can't they be like most other courses and coordinate this as a Start/Finish line at the same place with a sort of festival for onlookers? (I know the LA marathon also had different start/finish points but it was well publicized that the route was so that you could see the Dodger stadium and the ocean at Santa Monica pier so I consider this a unique situation.)

So we book a room at the Ayres hotel (nice place) which is 1.5 miles from the finish line Expo center, where there are supposed to be shuttles to drop you off at the start point. We wake up at 4:00, get ready, and find that they have blocked off our hotel so we can leave but not come back (on a one way side of a boulevard). We drive, and drive and drive various one way boulevard streets where you cannot turn ANYWHERE and there is a motorcycle cop trailing us the whole time waiting for us to make any mistake. We finally drive (with our GPS mind you) over 10 miles and a half an hour, and due to the one-ways and all turns being blocked off, we literally can't get to the Expo center. We know that the last shuttle is leaving the Expo center shortly and so pretty much we are upset and say screw it. And no, when we give up there is NO access to our hotel until after ten o'clock so we have to illegally park elsewhere and walk back to our hotel.

I've run three marathons last year and this is by far the most disorganized and least coordinated for runners and onlookers. My opinion is don't waste your time here unless you are a local.

Amanda Morehouse

• historyrunner Expert 29 posts since
    Jul 7, 2007
    26. May 2, 2010 6:56 PM (in response to Amanda Morehouse)

Amanda it seems you were ill prepared. There was a course map on the site and instructions posted on where to park and how to get to the shuttles. Blaming the race for your lack of preparation is not fair. They also sent out various emails leading up to the race. I suggest when traveling to a race to do through research beforehand.

• Amanda Morehouse Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 11, 2009
    27. May 2, 2010 7:21 PM (in response to historyrunner)

As I mentioned, it is my opinion and you can take it with a grain of salt and disregard if you like. If you like the marathon, that is excellent and people will read your review and hopefully take that into consideration also and will not say criticisims on your personal experience as you have mine. However, if you read other comments I am not the only one who had issues with being able to find the course map on the website in recent weeks. I am not the only one who has felt that the experience was overall disorganized as compared to other events. We did receive the map the day of the expo fair, however, seeing the streets on the map does not show how the streets/one ways will be blocked off with the one-ways and boulevards involved.  We easily drove the route to the expo the night before and knew where we were going. In our hotel many of the other runners ran into this problem and were upset as well, one of them getting into a heated argument with the desk clerk over it.

I am glad that you had a great experience. However, for any who may read this, also take into the account other reviews who did not feel the same as well before signing up next year.

Amanda Morehouse

• DancerForLife Amateur 10 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    28. May 2, 2010 9:46 PM (in response to Guest )

Enjoyed the 2010 5K. Pluses: flat course; great expo. Improvement opportunities - toward the end the course crossed its own path - i.e. runners had to weave through other runners, running in a different direction - would have been nice not to have that; parking instructions/directions were a bit vague - would have been helpful to have maps showing where to park/how to approach parking (directions provided such as 'approach parking lot from Adam' was not quite enough information). Also, would have been nice to have the expo to be open on race day... Thanks! 

• Wbaugh123 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 22, 2008
    29. May 3, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time yesterday at the OC Marathon.  The weather was beautiful, plenty of porta potties, water stations and super nice volunteers.  I loved that guy who was spraying the cool and fit spray around mile 18.  He actually ran with me while spraying my legs so that I didn't have to stop.  I bet he is sore today :-))  After finishing the race, I hung around the finish line for awhile and watched as different people with different inspiring stories crossed the finish line.  This is the best part of racing for me.  The injured Marine Sgt. James Carey being pushed by his friends in a wheelchair and then lifted to walk across the finish line will forever be in my memory.

What a great day!  Thanks OC Marathon!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...