Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1175 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2010 4:20 AM by Best Running Tips
ethelruns Rookie 4 posts since
Feb 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2010 6:13 AM

question about scheduling/training

I started the C25K last May, ran a 5K, then did a 10K schedule and have run two 10Ks, now looking toward a half marathon this fall. Have been reading a lot about increasing endurance/speed, so I'm trying to work in some intervals and tempo runs. I run 3 days a week - currently that includes two shorter runs (3-4 miles) and one long run (6-7miles). How do you work in intervals while also trying to follow a half marathon schedule? I was thinking of doing an interval session every other week in place of one of the shorter runs and turning one of the shorter runs into a tempo run. Should I be doing tempos/intervals every week? I'm still trying to increase my distance as I've never run further than 7 miles. I am trying to walk 3-4 miles on non-run days and doing some light strength training as well. I will add that I'm 52 and "blessed" to be in a community with quite a few speedy women in my age group - I don't want to be last every time! Thanks for any help!

C25K completion - July 2009

2/12/11 - 10K - 1:09:34

4/30/11 - 5K - 33:22

5/7/11 - 5K - 35:24

7/30/11 - 5K - 31:43

10/22/11 - 8K - 51:55 (very hilly!)

10/29/11 - 5K - 25:20

6/2/2012 - half marathon - 2:20:15

• Otali Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 23, 2010
    1. Apr 23, 2010 6:03 PM (in response to ethelruns)
    Re: question about scheduling/training

Dear friends

Here is a  father of a boy of about 10 years of age that he wants to train his son in running. He says that his son has capacity for "long runs"..I would like to help him get the right training tips and programs so that the boy gets the right coaching.

Q; What is your advise to us?

regards

Otali

• Best Running Tips Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Apr 28, 2010 4:20 AM (in response to ethelruns)
    Re: question about scheduling/training

ethelruns,

Generally you would focus on increasing your mileage first. With three runs a week I would for now work on increasing the length of your runs, gently to 5-6 miles and a long run of 10-14 miles. You can do this over a few months time, you have some time until your autumn half marathon.

Given you are limited to three days / week of running training and want to do the speedier work I would then probably replace one of the shorter runs with tempo runs predominantly. In the half marathon the speed you will be using is below your lactate threshold, so I would, as a beginner, definitely focus more on the tempo runs. Maybe have 2 weeks in which you do tempos, then 1 week in which you do intervals.

I would advise against removing more easy runs out of your schedule in favour of the faster stuff, easy running should be the cornerstone of your program, especially when you are still working towards being able to cover the distance.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Best Running Tips

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points