Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7877 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2010 2:25 PM by fenderleigh RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • AnnieBCleveland Amateur 22 posts since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Apr 7, 2010 7:25 AM (in response to AZnewbieAZ)
    Re: Garmin, Polar, Timex ??

I like to plan my runs before I leave, so I use www.mapmyrun.com before I go so I can plan my mileage and know where I'm headed (this solves the having to drive the route to see how long it is problem). I've never used a Garmin watch, mainly b/c I like to take 5-10 minutes before I go to map it online. It's easier for me if I know where I'm going and how far I've been...I like to plan.

I use a Polar watch that has a heart rate monitor chest strap so it calculates minutes and calories, and also logs workouts. Nothing fancy...also works on the machines at the gym as many of them use Polar to monitor your heart rate. I like that too.

Completed:

Reindeer Run 5k - Dec 09

St. Malachi 5M - Mar 10

Cleveland 10-Miler - Apr 10

Cleveland Rite-Aid Half Marathon (May 10) - I made it!

"...you can call on the road whenever you feel like it. Whether it's been a day or even a couple of hours since your last date.

The only thing the road cares about, is that you pay it a visit once in a while..."

• Cumbrian Amateur 33 posts since
    Aug 19, 2009
    17. Apr 7, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to AZnewbieAZ)

Love my Garmin 305. Absolutely love it. If I was to pinpoint anything that could be better it's the time it takes to acquire satellites when you first fire it up - bit irritating when you're stood at the bottom of the drive at 5am in the rain waiting to start your run... And the pace times can be a bit erratic when you're on the move. Neither are showstoppers though and I love knowing how far I've gone, in exactly what time, and being able to download all the info at the end of a run. It really frees you up to seek out new routes, make route changes on the fly and is a great tool for working on pace consistency (even with the occasional wobbly). Size-wise, yes, it's a bit larger than a normal watch but it's very light and I've never found it an issue.

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    18. Apr 14, 2010 6:39 PM (in response to AZnewbieAZ)

In general:

Garmin: best GPS capabilities

Polar: best heart rate monitor capabilities

Timex: best all-around watch for the money

I've owned all of the above.  If measuring speed and distance is the most important features to you, then go with Garmin.  Timex is good as well, but as previous posters stated, it's less reliable.  But if you're going to be using the watch only once in a while, a Timex GPS watch is a great value.

Difference between 305 and 310XT: in general, both use the same GPS technology, although the 310XT employs higher sensitivity GPS technology.  The 305 comes with a heart rate monitor standard and keeps route information, while the 310XT has neither feature (the heart rate monitor can be purchased separately).  But beyond that, the 310XT is a bit smaller and lighter, and has more features than the 305, such as 1) longer battery life, 2) automatic sync, 3) vibration alerts, and 4) compatibility with machines (i.e., treadmills) that use +ANT technology.  If all of these characteristics are important to you and the absence of a heart rate monitor is not a big deal, get the 310XT.

Hope this helps.

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• deleteseptember201218act Expert 44 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    19. Apr 19, 2010 12:41 PM (in response to ActiveWatches Dave)

Awesome, Thank you

Completed Events...

Raincross Run 2010 - 5K - February 20th - 59:16 (I know, slow, but I did it)

Walk for Kids by 100 Mile Club - 5K - March 13th - 59:00

March of Dimes - March for Babies 4.5 miles - April 24th

Graduated the C25K program - May 3rd

Cool Runnings 5K Beginner program - W3D2

• faithhopejoy Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    20. Apr 27, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to ActiveWatches Dave)

I love my new Garmin 305. Price is a big issue for me. I got it last week from Amazon for $147. I wish it had the vibrating alert feature, but I definitely couldn't have afforded the extra $200.

• msucj21 Pro 58 posts since
    Mar 19, 2010
    21. Apr 29, 2010 12:25 PM (in response to AZnewbieAZ)

I am strongly considering buying the Garmin Forerunner 305 because I've been using the Nike+ for about 5 months and it is so inaccurate.  I want something that works.  Would anyone suggest the upgrade?

MSUcj21

3/21-Shamrock Shuffle 8K- 46:24
    4/10-Wrigley Early Start 5K- 27:36

4/25-Ravenswood Run 5K- 27:18
    5/1-CPD Run to Remember 5K- 26:54
    5/29-Soldier Field 10 Mile- 1:36:42

6/6- United Run for the Zoo 10K- 57:55

7/11- Utica Boilermaker Road Race- 1:31:29
    8/1-Rock n Roll Half Marathon: 2:13:57

• run'nutah Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 3, 2010
    22. Apr 29, 2010 12:35 PM (in response to msucj21)

I have a Garmin and it is great!  It was the new model as of last June, not sure it is the 305.  It's the first running watch I've purchased, so I have nothing to compare it to.  In the races I have run, it was accurate.  I highly recommend it.

Planned races:

Salt Lake Marathon 7/24

Completed races:

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/17   1:47:21

Salt Lake 1/2 marathon 4/08

Salt Lake 1/2 Marathon 4/09

Moab 1/2 Marathon 3/09

Provo Canyon 1/2 Marathon 8/09

Three 5K races 2005-2007

• SonicBolt Pro 114 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008
    23. May 4, 2010 3:13 PM (in response to AZnewbieAZ)

I have had the Garmin 305 for a couple of months now...What a COOL toy! I love it! I have a bad tendency of running way too fast at the start of a race but witht he 305, I can keep an eye on my pace and even things out. Also, I have a bad habit of forgetting to hydrate. I programed the thing to ring every 15 minutes to remind me to take a drink.

When I am finished with a run, I plug it into the computer and the program slices and dices my run, its SO COOL! One thing to note, I am not very good with computers and dont need many bells and whistles and the 305 really fits the bill for me.

The only thing I dont like, other than having to wait for 2 minutes in the rain while it finds the satelites, is the fact that the heart rate number on the display is so tiny I have no clue what it is. I read that I could program it to ring when my HR gets too high but I revert back to my comment regarding computers...

Spring Dash 2009 5 mile 38.52

Spring Dash 2010 5 mile 37:17

Race the River Sprint Triathlon 2009 1:17:34

Race the River Sprint Triathlon 2010 1:14:25

Bloomsday 12k 1:02

Spokane half marathon 1:48

CDA half marathon 1:57

Windermere marathon 4:50

Open heart surgery to replace defective aortic valve 2/9/11

Spring Dash 2011 5 mile--volunteered

Practice winning...or you'll never be any good at it.....

• drehrauer Rookie 1 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    24. May 14, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to SonicBolt)

Sonic,

You can adjust all of the screens to display whatever fields you would like to see.  By default, the HR is tiny and in the upper right hand corner, but you can put it anywhere.  I use 2 screens - 1 that has just 1 field, and I have it display HR (by default, it is time).  My second screen contains HR in the top left, current pace in the top right, and total time in the bottom field.

Aug 21, 2008
    25. May 17, 2010 10:29 AM (in response to drehrauer)

Hey dre,

I did not know you could do that. I think I will give the thing to my teenage son and tell him what I want to see on the screen. I am sure he will know exactly how to get it done! Thanks!!

• @RunRayRun Pro 122 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    26. May 17, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to SonicBolt)

SonicBolt wrote:

The only thing I dont like, other than having to wait for 2 minutes in the rain while it finds the satelites, is the fact that the heart rate number on the display is so tiny I have no clue what it is. I read that I could program it to ring when my HR gets too high but I revert back to my comment regarding computers...

I have Garmin 305 as well and I really like it. I have skinny arms, at first it looks weird and huge but I got used to it. The data you can store here is awesome. I post everything online at connect.garmin.com to study the elevation, pace splits, distance, HR, and many many more. I like the reports on the website. It tells me how many miles I've run by weeks, days, months, or you can customize by date. I use the report to let me know when to replace my shoes also

SonicBolt - you can customize to see how many displays you want. Also, I turn it ON 5-10 minutes before my run, find a place in your house where it finds satellite connection. I have problems outside my house, it takes a couple of minutes before it finds it.

~ Tumblr ~ DailyMile ~ Twitter ~

Aug 21, 2008
    27. May 18, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to @RunRayRun)

Thanks Ray, now if I can only figure out how to make this thing dispense gatorade, I'd be golden!

• fenderleigh Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010
    28. May 25, 2010 2:25 PM (in response to SonicBolt)

haha, yep, I'd pay for that!

In case anyone is in the market, right now at REI the garmin 405cx is on sale for $269.99 (regularly $369.99). In addition, there is a mail-in rebate for $50! So, that brings the price down to $219.99. Its a great deal! I was debating between a couple differetn models, and in the end, this was cheaper and had everything I wanted, plus more. The sale and rebate run through 5/31.

http://www.rei.com/product/787996

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...