Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

499 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2007 8:46 PM by RunForFun001 RSS
wilsonucon Rookie 11 posts since
Apr 20, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 20, 2007 10:25 PM

Fast Finish Long Runs

On a 10 point scale where 10 equals 'could easily make it 26' and 1 equals 'can't believe i made it this far' - How do you usually feel after you've done a 16-20 mile FF long run where 12+ of your miles are at race pace or slightly faster?

Yes marathon pace=race pace.

[http://This message has been edited by wilsonucon (edited Aug-30-2007).|http://This message has been edited by wilsonucon (edited Aug-30-2007).]

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    1. Aug 30, 2007 8:33 AM (in response to wilsonucon)
    Re: Fast Finish Long Runs

By race pace do you mean - Marathon Pace?

I find these runs demanding, but not amazing - Runnable, but take a long time to fully recover from.

I actually plan 5 warmup - 25K @ MP - 2 cool down for this Saturday. If I feel good I bump up the last part of the 25K to T-Pace.

20-25K is a good range for me. But I have to make sure I am fresh for this workout and well hydrated - good nutrition.

Overall - I give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

• runninlaw Amateur 983 posts since
    Mar 13, 2006
    2. Aug 30, 2007 11:20 AM (in response to wilsonucon)

If race pace = marathon pace, I would say (depending on the weather)  a 3 or 4.  I find marathon pace to be pretty painful during peak training.  Last time I did 16 with 12 at MP, it was very hot and humid so my heart rate was through the roof by the time I finished.  That day I would say 1 or 2.

• PacerChris Amateur 740 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Aug 30, 2007 11:25 AM (in response to wilsonucon)

12 of 16 miles at race pace?  That seems like an awful lot to me - basically, that's a race!  When I do a FFLR, it will only be a few miles at speed.  Of a 20 miler, I'll run 4-5 easy, 4-8 moderate, run fast for 2-5 depending on how I feel, and cooldown with at least 2 miles.  I've found keeping the harder miles to a handful and putting them late in the run, I feel like I get the intended benefit but I'm not trashed the next day.

For me - I do the fast miles at MP or a little faster - 10 seconds per mile or somewhere around there.

• fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
    Aug 21, 2002
    4. Aug 30, 2007 11:25 AM (in response to wilsonucon)

I finish some of my progression runs at mile race pace plus
    20 seconds, and I'm wiped.

• Mailbox Head Rookie 139 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    5. Aug 30, 2007 11:33 AM (in response to wilsonucon)

quote:

Originally posted by PacerChris:

12 of 16 miles at race pace? That seems like an awful lot to me - basically, that's a race! When I do a FFLR, it will only be a few miles at speed. Of a 20 miler, I'll run 4-5 easy, 4-8 moderate, run fast for 2-5 depending on how I feel, and cooldown with at least 2 miles. I've found keeping the harder miles to a handful and putting them late in the run, I feel like I get the intended benefit but I'm not trashed the next day.

For me - I do the fast miles at MP or a little faster - 10 seconds per mile or somewhere around there.

Actually, that sounds like a Pfitzinger workout to me. I did that same type of run a few weeks back, and it's definitely a tough workout in the heat. That's not even the biggest one that Pfitz prescribes. In the 24/70 plan I have something like a 17 mile run with 14@ marathon pace.
    I can't decide if these workouts are great for your confidence because you get so many miles in @ pace, or if they're confidence killers because it's so difficult wihtout a taper.  Either way, it didn't seem to take too long to recover from the effort, so I don't think it's a bad workout.

• Jim Sullivan032 Rookie 504 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 30, 2007 11:34 AM (in response to wilsonucon)

quote:

Originally posted by PacerChris:

I'd say that's about where mine end up. I've tried to pick it up a bit more, maybe down to tempo pace, but then I crash and end up back at marathon pace.

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    8. Aug 30, 2007 8:46 PM (in response to wilsonucon)

Sorry _ read wrong - 2-3 (Or hard, but not Killa)  But I need to do it on a step back week or it is killa

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...