Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

15608 Views 62 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2013 8:20 PM by AnneofGreenGables RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
biggirlpride Amateur 23 posts since
May 1, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 1, 2010 7:49 PM

Fat girl running......help a girl out

I'm sure I'm going to open myself  up for all kinds of comments but here goes... Facts: I am a BIG girl, besides being overweight I'm very healthy. Obviously, I dont have a balanced diet but I don't consume sweets as some would think (except sodas). I run 2-3 miles at a crippled snails pace 4/5 times a week and I understand why I usually dont have a lot of energy. However, I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. The more I run, the more I crave sweets, not sodas, not regular food, just sweets. It's really ticking me off cause I just did a nice lil workout and now I'm craving something I don't normally eat....and I don't eat it if I'm not running. Any thoughts on this or am I just crazy?

• theyork6 Pro 74 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    1. May 1, 2010 8:30 PM (in response to biggirlpride)
    Re: Fat girl running......help a girl out

When you drink Sodas are they diet? or regular?  If you are drinking diet sodas or things with artificial sweeteners, it can actually make you crave sweets more.  I dont drink sodas anymore, ever.  It's been long enough to where if I take a sip of one, it just doesnt appeal to me.

As far as overcoming the cravings....I would keep lots of fruit around.  Make it easy on yourself put it in single servings when you get home from the grocery store.  All you have to do is reach in the fridge and get something good for you :-)  Train your body to want those kinds of sweets and not the destructive kind.  I love blackberries and dewberries (TX fruit that are smaller and sweeter than blackberries), strawberries, bananas, apples, pineapple...any kind of fruit really :-)

Good luck!!

Moes Better Half Marathon 03/07/10--- 2:26:37 (my very first race)

• Lindsey12 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    3. May 1, 2010 11:15 PM (in response to biggirlpride)

i used to LOVE sodas, but i found a few ways to get out of the habit of drinking them. I started using sugar free crystal light drink mix. it gives you a nice amount of flavor without the caffeine and sweeteners that are used in sodas. I had a big drop in energy for the first 1-2 weeks, but now its very easy to go without. One thing i learned from a nutritionist is that apples have natural caffeine in them and can give you somewhat of an energy boost!

• ArnieDavis Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 9, 2008
    4. May 2, 2010 4:22 AM (in response to biggirlpride)

I run so i can eat some junk food....im not so fond of soda anymore though.

You just keep running girl.....i admire the effort!

• taboulie Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    5. May 2, 2010 6:28 AM (in response to biggirlpride)

I agree with the crystal light but have another tip with it....if you buy the big packages for making a pitcher of it mix it into 1/3 of the water it calls for then use this to mix with club soda.

I hate the diet soda taste and the calories in regular soda so this is a good option at about 5cal per mix.

oh and Jello light is a good sugar craving treat.... again only 5-10 cal I believe.

• ecoalson Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    6. May 2, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to biggirlpride)

I keep dark (very dark) chocolate around.  It's rich enough that one square is enough to savor, and its balance of good stuff (antioxidants) to bad stuff (sugar/fat) is way better than milk chocolate, which I don't like that much anyway.

Yogurt is also a great sweet treat; my new favorite is greek style yogurt with honey.  It comes in non-fat, too, and is just as delicious.  Plus it has the added bonus of helping my digestion.  Mix it with some fruit and granola, and it's a fulfilling snack, or a good breakfast.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    7. May 2, 2010 7:40 AM (in response to taboulie)

I do the same thing with crystal light.  I actually mix it with flavored seltzer (the unsweetened kind) and it is very refreshing.   I don't like sodas anyway, so that isn't a big sacrifice for me.   Besides not liking sodas (they are SICKLY sweet!) I just don't want to "waste" my calories.  I'd rather eat the 150 calories than drink it....but that's just me.

I won't lecture the OP about sweets.  I'm not exactly thin myself.  But the advice I would give is to make your sweets count.  Go for the fruit first (I devour apples!)  If you've just GOTTA have some sugar, try to at least make it something fairly nutritious.  A lowfat pudding or yogurt is a good idea because you are getting some protein and calcium.   Sweetened whole grain cereal with skim milk is satisfying, yummy and has fiber and nutrients.  I don't cut sugar out of my diet, but for me personally I draw the line at drinking sugary soda which is almost pure sugar with no nutritional value at all.   Also, that concentrated sugar content is what gives you those spikes and slumps which affect your running and energy level in general.

• Iwannadothis Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2010
    8. May 2, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to biggirlpride)

About 2 years ago I was having some stomach issues and found out I needed to cut out sugars & sodas...my substitute???  Unsweetend Iced Peppermint Green Tea!!!  I LOVE this stuff!!   I have to say that once I did eliminate sugars and sodas from my diet, I lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks.  I will admit I do still get a craving for a soda, but if I give in, I pour a little in a glass drink it and quickly give the rest to another family member.   Good luck!!

• chtge6r74 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 2, 2010
    9. May 2, 2010 12:01 PM (in response to biggirlpride)

Try bumping your protein intake up a little bit. I read that craving sweets can mean that your body is looking for more protein from your diet. Works for me. And I know what you are talking about I get extactly the same cravings that you are describing

• taboulie Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    11. May 2, 2010 12:57 PM (in response to biggirlpride)

I do a low cal Protein shake AFTER I run.

Its best to get protein within an hour after your run because your metabolisim will burn off the cal faster and your muslces absorbe nutrients easier at this point. Protein is used to repair the minor tears caused by your work out.

• chtge6r74 Rookie 2 posts since
    May 2, 2010
    12. May 2, 2010 1:38 PM (in response to taboulie)

I just eat a little bit more protein, like a few extra bites nothing major. My favorite after workout drink is chocolate milk (about a cup, not too much). I like protein bars but I don't buy them because they are mostly high cal and kind of expensive. Everybody remember to drink your daily req of water, especialy now that summer is here!

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    13. May 2, 2010 5:29 PM (in response to biggirlpride)

I'm with Taboulie on the chocolate milk.  It gives you the protein and the sweet you are craving.  I will admit I am a pepsi drinker but I try to limit and get more water, but I can't give up my pepsi sorry(or my cookies).  I usually don't get to run until afternoon but can't run if I eat lunch so I use the cliff bars before my runs and drink my brown milk as soon as I get in and I'm good until dinner.

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...