Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3332 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 7:42 AM by ColoCorredor RSS
iran34 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 30, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 6, 2009 9:37 AM

my first 10 k. i need Help!

this past weekend, 4th of july, i did my 4th- 5k it was so much fun, but i want to jump my to my next step (10k). i never have trainnng. i do workout, i run, i keep my self helthy during the year. this time i want to go futher. my next step, i don't know how to start. i need help!

• Runner_Bob! Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    1. Aug 9, 2009 8:29 AM (in response to iran34)
    Re: my first 10 k. i need Help!

My suggestion is that you are probably a lot closer to being able to run a 10K than you think.  If you run regularly (3-4 times per week) then you probably already have a decent base.  What you should do is to start adding in a long run every weekend.  You can already clearly run 3.1 miles so this weekend, try to run 4 miles.  The weekend after, try to run 4.5...then 5 then 5.5 then 6.0...and guess what?  You will be ready for that 10K!!  Keep in mind that when you run the 10K, your pace should be a bit slower than your 5K pace since you need to maintain some reserves to go the distance.

Good luck

• txbandman Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    2. Jan 6, 2010 9:15 AM (in response to iran34)

I think that I am in pretty much the same place.  I ran seven 5K races in 2009, and a New Years race last weekend, and now I am wanting to push myself to a 10K.  I have never run that distance before.  The advice from the other poster seems sound to me.  I have started pushing myself further and have run as far as 4.5 miles since I made this determination that I would try a 10K this year.  I find it much easier to do by mapping out a route and running it as opposed to running laps on a track or running on a treadmill.  It is just too easy for me to stop at 5K or somewhere else short of my goal distance if I'm not running a route.  Also, what the other poster said about taking something off of your pace is right.  It is very difficult for me to do that - I seem to have "my pace" and I have a hard time holding back on it so that I can make the longer distances, but it is the only way I am able to stretch my distance.  I don't take a whole lot off of my pace - my normal pace during a 5K race is always somewhere around 8 min/mile, and I cut it back to about 9 min/mile when I ran the 4.5 route.  Let me know how it goes and when you run your first 10!

St. Mary's Univ. 5K - 26:40

SA Komens Race for the Cure - 24:56.6

Beach to Bay Marathon Relay, 2nd leg - 39:37

American Sunrise 5K - 24:47.9

Run for Africa 5K - 26:35.5

My Cimarron 5K - 24:20.5

Tx Lutheran Univ Bulldog Homecoming 5K - 25:28.0

New Braunfels Jingle Bell 5K - 26:27.6

New Years 5K at Huber Ranch - 25:28.5

(March 09) St. Mary's Univ. 5K - 26:40

(April 09) SA Komen's Race for the Cure - 24:56.6

(May 09) Beach to Bay Marathon Relay (2nd leg) - 39:37

(June 09) American Sunrise 5K - 24:47.9

(June 09) Run for Africa 5K - 26:35.5

(August 09) My Cimarron 5K - 24:20.5

(November 09) Tx Lutheran University Bulldog 5K - 25:28

(December 09) New Braunfels Jingle Bell 5K - 26:27.6

(January 10) New Years 5K at Huber Ranch - 25:28.5

(February 10)  Fuego 5K - 24:46

(March 10) American Sunrise 5K - 23:39

(March 10) Melissa Ridge 5K - 24:54.6

(April 10) Earth Day 5K - 24:04.3

(May 10) SA Komen's Race for the Cure - 25:38.7

(June 10) Mitchell Lake Bird Lovers' 10K - 52:23.4

(July 10) Castle Hills 5K - 25:27.2

(August 10) Pleasanton Cowboy Gallop 5K - 23:21.2

(December 10) Churchill Project Graduation Jingle Bell 5K - 23:26.7

(January 11) SARR Cobweb Chaser - 24:46.9

• SuzanneKC Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    3. May 3, 2010 10:51 PM (in response to iran34)

I just ran my first 10k this weekend.  I've run a few 5ks over the past few years but have never made the jump to a 10k before.  After completing a 5k a few weeks back I signed up for this 10k that was about 5 weeks out.  I found a 5 mile route close to my house and ran/walked that once a week in the weeks leading up to it.  My goal was just to do the race - I didn't have a plan for how fast I would run, if I would walk or when.  I decided to just see how I felt.  I ended up running the whole race and came in way under the time I predicted for myself.  Now I'm signed up for another 10k in 8 weeks that I plan to actually run for time now that I know I can cover the distance.

I would completely recommend signing up for a 10k.  It doesn't even matter if you don't feel that you have the time to really train well for it.  If you've done a few 5ks and you have a reasonable running base under you, you should be fine.  Doing it once is a great way to build confidence and then you can build from there.

Good luck!

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    4. Jan 7, 2014 7:42 AM (in response to iran34)

Congratulations on passing the first real challenge (5k)!  Now, you've got the running bug, and are ready to tackle the 10k training schedule.  We have been able to come up with an amazing 10-week schedule to get your prepared for that big race, and hope that you find it helpful!  You can find out more about that schedule by clicking here.  Also, there are several things that can improve your 10k results and overall experience, such as proper diet and stretching techniques. But the most important thing is sticking to a running schedule that increases your endurance and stamina.

Good Luck with your Training, and Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points