Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2524 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2010 7:44 AM by Runnergal262 RSS
robyn9882 Rookie 1 posts since
May 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 7, 2010 8:56 AM

Need new shoes??!!

I am on the last day of week 4.  I was running on a treadmill but I decided to start outside to better prepare for my 5k in June.  I have a bruise on the inside of my ankle from my shoes, which are probably a year old.  I know I need new ones.  My legs are so sore I wanna just stop, breathing is no problem.  What kind of shoes do you guys wear to run in?  I dont wanna buy something and it b a waste of money.  I wanna get the right shoes!  Thank you!

• ariley72 Rookie 7 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    1. May 7, 2010 9:02 AM (in response to robyn9882)
    Re: Need new shoes??!!

Robyn-

Try to find a running store near you and have them fit you.  Believe me good running shoes will cost you less than a trip to the doc.  I personally wear asics and only the specific running type with the gel and I buy two pair at a time.  I find they give me great arch support.  One runner told me that when you find the right shoe for you your feet will feel like their in heaven and this brand does just that for me.

Amy

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. May 7, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to robyn9882)

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes there is a right and wrong shoe for everyone. the sales people should know how to fit you, if not the find another store....

Here a article that can explain it better then i can.....

http://running.about.com/od/shoesapparelandgear/ht/runningshoe.htm

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• lorlynn8 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    3. May 7, 2010 11:18 AM (in response to robyn9882)

I just purchased a pair of Asics GT 2140's and so far, I love them!  They have the gel in them and are very confortable.  I originally had purchased a pair of NB running shoes, but I ended up hurting my ankle on the treadmill running in them.  I beleive it was because I tend to somewhat overpronate when I run and there just wasn;t any arch support in them.  You have to decide what type of foot you have and how you run to get the right shoe for you.  Shop around too, b/c everystore has different styles and brands.  I was told Asics are the #1 running shoe, so I decided to give them a try.  So far so good.  Good Luck!!

• greenjello Amateur 27 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    4. May 7, 2010 10:20 PM (in response to lorlynn8)

Within each shoe brand are different types of shoes for different types of feet and pronation.  It's not just a New Balance vs ASIC vs Nike thing - they each have shoes in the "neutral", "stability", or "motion control" category, etc.

For example, Nike Air Pegasus is Neutral, Nike Zoom Structure is Stability, and Nike Zoom Neucleus is Motion Control.

You need to figure out whether you pronate too much, too little, or just right.

A running store will get that sorted out for you.

http://www.zappos.com/runningfitguide.zhtml

For example, I have a high arch, and if I run many miles in a stability type shoe, I will get all sorts of injuries (I found this out the hard way).

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    5. May 7, 2010 10:33 PM (in response to robyn9882)

Please, please, find a running store in your area.  Yes, it may be more expensive but it will be so worth it!

They will fit you for the right kind of shoe for you gait, activity and feet.  Trust us...it is worth it!

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• Becker69 Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010
    6. May 7, 2010 10:59 PM (in response to susan-n-the black dog)

First off, DON'T get discouraged.  It's common to run and then have issues that are (possibly) due to the shoes you are using.  I have only been "running" for 2 years; I ran in NB 644's (for 1.5 mile timed runs) and they were great.. when I stepped up to 5k's I got some Asic Fluent's (I have really high arches) and they've been fine.  Now that I have much more experience and 100 miles on my current set I am DEAD set on going to a running store when I get my next pair - here I have Runner's ROOST and the Boulder Running company to name two.  They can do an arch test and analyze your gait (on a computer they can analyze your stride tendencies from analysis from you running on their treadmill) and offer several shoes for you.  When I started, I thought this was just for serious runners and I felt uncomfortable about going in given my ability and training.  But after boatloads of research, I'm convinced that getting a great pair may require the use of a serious running store.  And as has been mentioned; the $20-30 premium on a pair (and more likely less...) of a shoes that you may be able to get elsewhere is easily worth getting the experience, analysis and knowledge of salespeople who cater to Runners.  If this is not the route you go and/or you may want to look into inserts or orthotics.

Sorry for the long post.  Enjoy your 5k training you'll be stoked in June when you finish!

Lastly, if you do choose this route; make sure you bring in your current pair of running shoes for them to see the wear patterns.

• raytodd Expert 44 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    7. May 8, 2010 4:59 PM (in response to robyn9882)

Yep, can't go wrong with getting fitted. It might seem to cost more, but you'll end up spending more with trial and error.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    8. May 9, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to robyn9882)

If your shoes are a year old, the answer to your need for new shoes is go and get them NOW.  A pair of running shoes lasts between 350-400 miles in my mind.  I can barely get three months out of my shoes, but I generically run 20-25 miles/week.

A good way to tell when they are getting old is that your body starts to ache for no good reason, another way is to watch the wear on your treads.

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    9. May 9, 2010 7:44 AM (in response to robyn9882)

Oh and yes, go to a specialty run shop, (not Dicks) and get fitted for shoes.  The shoes I love and feel like clouds on my feet may not work for you or worse cause you injuries depending on your arches, foot, gait.  If your run shop is like mine, you can often get on their VIP list and get coupons or discounts like I do.  My favorite shop I automatically get 20-25% off because of my gym membership.  Another favorite shop I often get 25% off coupons because I'm on that VIP list, and btw, the VIP list is FREE.  Also, not to belabor the point, but the service at a specialty shop will be FAR better than Dicks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points