Skip navigation

3545 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2010 8:06 PM by Cory Steiner RSS
Camille 77653 Amateur 26 posts since
Apr 7, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 6, 2010 10:56 AM

Broken toe.....how long until I can run again?

i broke a toe - stubbed it......they said 4- 6 weeks to heal - who else has had this experience and how long until you could run again?

I'm biking and swimming trying to keep my cardio up

• Stevemustangred Legend 681 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007

It depends on how bad it hurts, where it is broken and which toe it is.

It might be hard to run on a broken big toe since you need that one to run.  It is used for pushing off and balance.  Most of the other toes are well supported by shoes and can be ignored if broken.

If you don't have any pain running then don't wait. 

When I first started running many years ago I stubbed my fourth toe and it would turn purple every time I ran but it never hurt unless I touched it.  After a several weeks I finally went to the doctor to have it checked out.  He said he had good news and bad news.  The bad news was that I had broken my toe and the good news was that it was healing nicely.

The night before I ran the New York Marathon I stubbed the same toe on the furniture in the hotel room.  It hurt like heck and I know I broke it but there was no way I wasn't running the marathon.  It didn't cause a problem at all. 

Lies Spectators tell Marathoners:   1) Last Hill!    2) Almost there!  3) You look great!

• Cory Steiner Pro 61 posts since
    Jul 14, 2009

I broke my big toe 3 1/2 weeks ago.  The orthopaedic surgeon said 4 to 6 weeks.  My wife works in a major orthopaedic facility and the gurus there said 8 weeks.  It's still completely swollen and pretty painful, but gets a bit better every day.  I might start to ease into it during week 4 and will hopefully be good-to-go by week 6.

Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points