Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1441 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2010 4:25 AM by Gravity06 RSS
Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
Feb 11, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 10, 2010 8:45 AM

Runaway parents May 10

Hello Runaways! Happy Mothers Day !

How many of you got running stuff for Mom's Day?  I got new running shoes! Can't wait to take them for a run!

Noone has posted for awhile.  I guess we have all been busy.  I have been running regularly 3 to 4 times a week.  I have been sticking to my 3.5 mile route.  I have added in biking and swimming beacuse my first tri is in beginning of June.  My older sister - who is probably considered obese - signed up for a unique program at her work.  Employees are encouraged to sign up for an Ironman Challenge.  Between May 1 and the 31st each person that signs up is supposed to complete the mileage of an Ironman Tri - swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run/walk 26.2 miles.  My sister asked me to help her with the biking portion.  On May 1st we biked 28 miles, this past Saturday 24 miles.  It is wonderful to see my sister embrace this active lifestyle.  She has already has completed 1.2 miles of the swimming.  She is walking instead of running.  I'm trying to convince her to do a sprint tri.  Her husband is participating too, but he is doing everything in the gym - treadmill and stationary bike.  She and I prefer to be outdoors.

I would love to here how everyone is doing including our injuried mommies. Let's hear about your races, too.

Keeping the pace!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    1. May 10, 2010 11:38 AM (in response to Francessmom)
    Re: Runaway parents May 10

What kind of shoes did you get?  Yep, I got a pair of running shorts, tank, & socks for Mother's Day. 

My neighbor and I met up early yesterday morning for a 5.5 mile Mother's Day run together.  Our husbands thought we were insane.  I thought it was a great thing -- then we could eat a big lunch without any guilt.

Marie, that is so exciting about your upcoming tri.  I can't wait to hear about your experience with that.  There was a triathlon in Panama City Beach this weekend.  I had some business over there earlier in the week, and loved seeing so many runners out on the roads that day (a big change from the week before, which was a motorcycle fest).

Last week was tough.  I was sore from my 10k and it was really hot, even in the mornings.  My Mothers Day run was the first good run I'd had in awhile.  I am planning on making May all about speed.  I downloaded a playlist for my Ipod that has Lance Armstrong voice-overs going through some speed drills.  I haven't tried it yet, maybe Wednesday or Thursday.  I'm also hoping to get into a strength-training routine this month.

I hope everyone is doing well!  Have a great week,

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    2. May 11, 2010 1:40 AM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Just did a 2.2mi night walk.

Saw a little screech owl limping on the side of the road (He was probably hit by a car.  I so wanted to help the little guy, but I couldn't.  If only I had my gear from my days volunteering at the bird sanctuary!  Those talons are sharp!)

I need to find a better place to walk at night.  I'm not afraid of people so much as I'm afraid of dogs (Dogs who don't like certain racewalkers shining their cap lights into their eyes. )

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• TBMcKay Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    3. May 11, 2010 3:28 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Hey Everyone!  It's been awhile, I'm glad this thread was here becasue I was starting to miss hearing from everyone.       I ran my first half marathon last week!!  It was awesome!  The race is fairly popular and the town has a huge running community so there were people supporting and cheering throughout the course which was very inspiring.  My time wasn't what I wanted but I stuck with a friend of mine who was having problems with her Asthma.  My only goal was not to walk and she walked a few times and I kind of jogged next to her, then just before mile 10 she told me to go ahead because she was going to have to walk most of the rest of the race.  I made up some good time on those last 3.5 miles, but my time was still 2:26 and I as hoping for closer to 2:10.  But I'm racing in 2 more Half Marathons in June.  The first one is ALL hill so my goal for that one is 2:20 

We had a nice guiet Mother's Day around here.  I made my mom a big lunch on Saturday so then Sunday we just took a picnic to the park and let the kids play and feed the ducks.  All my boys cleaned out my van spotless for me which was really nice.  I didn't get any running gear, but I'm on my way to the running store tomorrow- I hit 500 miles in my shoes this morning!!    I got a bunch of new canning equipment for the kitchen.  I've been wanting to get into canning for awhile, just hadn't gotten everything to get started; so they got me everything I need to start trying some recipes this summer.

Ali~   I love the idea of a Mother's Day race!  I did a 5K last year on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend, but I couldn't find one this year.  How fun for you!!

Hope to start seeing everyone on here more again!!!

~Rebecca

2010 Events

1/23  Winter Predictor -13K - 1:19:15

5/2   Eugene -Half Marathon

6/26  Pacific Crest -Half Marathon

10/10  Portland -Marathon

• catsrcul Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 12, 2009
    4. May 12, 2010 8:28 AM (in response to TBMcKay)

Hi everyone. I love reading about your running tales. You all rock!

Rebecca, your friend probably should run/walk. My son and I have asthma. We do so much better when we run/walk Galloway style. We passed so many people at our last race and we finished in the middle of the pack.

I tried to run last week for one minute. The cardio side of it felt awesome. I forgot I was wearing walking shoes though and the pain in the flesh on the inside of my leg next to my knee was really bad the next day.

I started an adult learn to swim class on Monday. On day two there was drama. I bought a new swimsuit a couple of months ago. I thought it fit well. My new suimsuit may suffice for sitting by or in the pool. It is no good, however for a person learning to swim. I learned this when I heard my swim teacher say, "Uh oh. Swimsuit malfunction.". She helped me get it back onto my chest and shoulders. Oy vey! Needless to say I went out and purchased a smaller suit last night. My brother n law was there at the pool to watch my daughter. My husband of my friend who is taking the class with me was there too. I don't know what they saw. One of my sons saw the suit fall down. lol

~Karen~

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

5K 11/27/09          43:16  Pace 13:56

5K  1/9/10             41:55   Pace 13:30
    5K  3/20/10           38:56  Pace 12:32

Lost 16 lbs. since May 30, 2009. Don't want to ever find it again! Would like to lose 5 more pounds.

Started Couch 25K 9/11/09 Repeated many weeks due to asthma symptoms

Completed C25K 12/14/09

http://bumpoffalog.blogspot.com

• TyKy Pro 134 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. May 13, 2010 7:30 PM (in response to catsrcul)

Karen- Thats great you are doing the swim lessons.  I am excited to start mine next week!  I will keep your suit malfunction in mind and wear a small one.  Thanks for the tip!!! 

The update for my ankle is not good.  I saw the podiatrist today and he said "I don't know why your here.  I can't fix something when I see nothing wrong."  Then sent me on my way.  I tried asking several different questions and got the same response.  I just came home and cried.  It has been 5 months and the injury is traveling up my leg.  At this point it is my ankle, my calf, my hamstring, my inner thigh and glute.  Being so frustrated I called my PCM today and demanded a referral to see a sports medicine doctor.  I haven't gotten a call back yet but I'm not going to give up.

So I have not been running at all.  Not even walking.    I took 3 weeks off of no exercise at all.  Not even house cleaning.  I did as little as possible.  Not only did my condition not improve I gained weight.  Eeek.  That was a bust.  So I tried water running the other day.  That was actually pretty fun.  My leg hurt pretty bad after but it was so worth it!!!

Take care,

TyKy

• runningdreamer Amateur 26 posts since
    Mar 1, 2009
    6. May 13, 2010 8:45 PM (in response to TyKy)

Hello!  So nice to hear from other mom runners!  This is the first time I have posted in this thread.  I have been a runner for most of my life.  Not competitive, just do it for health and fun.  I only run 12 -15 miles per week.  When I try running more I suffer from achilles tendinitis so I have added in bike intervals one day a week instead of a run (biking is REALLY easy on the achilles!  and actually a better workout than I thought).  Sometimes I like to walk instead of running.  My goal is to stay happy and avoid injury.  I also enjoy weight training twice a week.  The weight training has really improved my running, now I feel like I could run forever without any effort!  Plus my arms and thighs look better!  Well, today was a fast 2 and 1/2 mile walk just because I felt like walking instead of running (yesterday was a really hard interval training day on the treadmill - it was raining out).  Well I am so happy to hear from other women runners!  I think it is different for guys, somehow I don't really identify with guy runners as much...

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    7. May 19, 2010 4:25 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Post Deleted

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...