Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1696 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2010 4:33 PM by Damien Howell
Staceyacey Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2010 5:51 AM

osteoarthritis and running

Hello everyone!

I recently found out I have osteoarthritis in my lower back.  Before I started feeling the symptoms this last time, I had made it to week 8 of c25k.  I really enjoy the running at this point and don't want to give it up, but general advice is to stick to low-impact exercise like walking and swimming.  When I started the program, I read a lot of information about how to do it correctly and minimize any potentially negative effects of the running itself.  As a result, I have never had any real pain while working through the training program.  I would get a little wobbly-legged after a couple runs, but that was it.  I think this latest pain episode was triggered by the poor lifting habits I employ at work.  I work in a printing plant, and we have a lot of paper that I like to keep organized.  Because I'm often trying to quickly straighten up, I lift too much at one time or overextend my reach.  I've felt a little pain after each workday that I did this.  So then my question is, has anyone continued a running regimen and been diagnosed with osteoarthritis?  I'm willing to tone down the workouts some, but I really have grown to love to run already, and I would really miss it.  I have access to an elliptical machine, but I so prefer hopping out of bed and out my front door first thing in the morning and running through the neighborhood. Thanks for your advice!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points