Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1645 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2010 6:57 PM by jschap RSS
krhamrick Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2008 6:57 AM

First 5K Completed

I'm thrilled to report that I finished my first 5K race on Sunday. I completed the Race for the Cure in the Twin Cities. I had a goal to finish in under 30 minutes. Even though it was cold, windy, and extremely crowded, I still managed to complete the run in 29 minutes with energy to spare. It's official, I'm hooked on road races.

I started running last Summer with the sage advice of the Couch to 5K program. As I have increased my base, I have discovered that I am probably better suited for longer races - I'm just feeling warmed up by the third mile. With that in mind, I'm planning to run in a 10K in June and train for a half marathon in October. I have the races picked out and a training plan in mind. With the great advice and support from this site, I have no doubt that I will reach my new goals.

Kelly in Minnesota

• Jay Silvio We're Not Worthy 1,775 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. May 13, 2008 7:03 AM (in response to krhamrick)
    Re: First 5K Completed

Kelly,

Welcome to active.com!

It's great to hear about your first 5K.  I'm glad you were able to exceed your goal and that you are now officially hooked on running.  Please let us know if you have any questions or comments and let us know how we can support you.

Good luck and happy running!

Jay

• CMBerard Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010
    2. May 11, 2010 3:45 PM (in response to krhamrick)

Congrats!

The Race for the Cure was my first 5K too! I, however, have no idea what my time was. I stopped at the end to pick up my daughter and carry her across the finish! It was fun to spend Mother's Day doing something so worth while as well as with my one year old daughter! I also ran the race with my mother and brother who finished the race in 24 minutes. My goal is to beat him next year!

• Kate2B40 Amateur 27 posts since
    May 7, 2010
    3. May 11, 2010 4:12 PM (in response to krhamrick)

That is GREAT!  You are inspiring me, too.  I have done the 5K Race for the Cure in Hartford CT every year since I recovered from cancer.  I wont say I actually "ran" it, though.  Up until now it's been a combination of fast walking and slow jogging.  The times I actually made it onto the scoreboard I was at about 45 minutes.  My goal this year was to run it in 30 minutes but I didnt' start training early enough.  The race is next month, so I'll see what my time is.  At any rate, there are tons of 5K races through the year, so my NEW goal is to run it in 30 minutes before I turn 40.  That gives me until December.  So although it wont be my first 5K, it will be the first one I actually trained for.

When did you start your serious training for this, and can you share a little more about your progress?  I would love to hear about it & maybe it will help me to maintain my motivation.

Thanks so much and CONGRATULATIONS on your finish!!

:-) K

• jschap Rookie 6 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    4. May 11, 2010 6:57 PM (in response to krhamrick)

Congrats!!  I just finished my first 5k this past weekend as well.  Now I'm addicted!  It sounds like you and I are on the same track.  I have a 10k in June and a 1/2 in October.  I'm up to about 6.5 miles right now and hope to keep improving.  Before you know it we will be training for a full 26.2.  Good luck!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...