Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2005 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2010 5:38 PM by tomwhite RSS
roxyzipper Amateur 8 posts since
Jul 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 14, 2010 8:35 AM

Weird hip issue causing limping while running

I have been experiencing a weird sensation in my left hip for several weeks now. It is not painful, but causes me to limp while running. I occasionaly will limp when walking, but I limp every time when running. It feels as if the hip needs to be "popped" if that makes any sense?? At times, it feels as if the hip is "buckling" like a weak knee might do. I had back pain for over a year that ended up progressing to a point where I could nbot sit, stand, lie down or walk without terrible pain. Saw a chiro who temporarily ficed things. Ended up seeing my MD who gave me a steroid shot and put me on 1800 mg Ibuprofen per day for 2 weeks. The back pain is completely gone and feels great. I thought the limp I was experiencing while running was due to the back pain, but apparently it is a seperate issue since it is still there and has not improved. Since I'm limping while running, I am obviously slower and it is very awkward and really annoying. I need a fix, but have no idea where to start. I have no idea what could cause this so I am hoping someone has experienced something similar and can offer advice. With crappy health insurance I really can't afford to go back to my MD. Are there stretches I can do, etc. that would help?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Oh, in case you need more info, I am 34 years old and have been running for about 4 years. I completed my 2nd marathon at the end of March and usually run about 5 times per week averaging about 20-25 miles per week. Thanks!!

• hlwilliams17 Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    1. May 14, 2010 8:44 AM (in response to roxyzipper)
    Re: Weird hip issue causing limping while running

When I had this problem it wound up being a stress fracture in my femoral neck.  I didn't have the "typical" symptoms of a stress fracture - mine wasn't extremely painful, it felt more like a muscle strain - tight and a little sore, but no pain.

Regardless, if you are limping while you are running, you need to STOP RUNNING.  Anything that affects your gait needs to be looked at ASAP by a doctor because it's not something to mess around with.  I put mine off for a month and wound up not being able to run for 6 weeks.  I kept stretching and foam rolling, convincing myself that it was getting better.  It wasn't. The second time I felt a twinge in my other hip, I went to a doctor immediately and was able to avert an injury that could have been more serious - I had to slow things down, but I kept running.  If you can't afford to go to the doctor, then your best bet is to take some time off - at least a week to start.  Completely off - no running and no impact exercise.  After that week, try a short 1-2 mile easy run at a slow pace.  No more than a couple miles.  If it feels fine, take a rest day the next day and then run another 2 miles the day after.  If no pain, then proceed with caution adding miles back into runs and don't run back to back days for a few weeks.  If you DO have pain on that first run back after a week, then you really have to bite the bullet and see a doctor.  You could continue with the time off, but at some point, you need to know what's wrong in case there is something other than rest you can do to heal your condition.

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. May 14, 2010 5:38 PM (in response to hlwilliams17)
    Re: Weird hip issue causing limping while running

this is Good Advise,

if you improve enough to not limp, try adding a 4/1 jog/walk to your work-out and think of them as 5-minute Sets.

but don't force it,

and don't keep running if your have to limp to do it.

Good Luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points