Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5847 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2010 7:56 AM by tomwhite RSS 1 2 Previous Next
tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

May 13, 2010 6:56 AM

Running with Arthritis

...after 41 years of running, turns out I have arthritis in both hips.......

anybody else dealing with this??

I am DEFINITELY up for suggestions........

.......at the moment 4/1-ing twice a week and Poolrunning twice a week.....

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,154 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. May 13, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to tomwhite)
    Re: Running with Arthritis

O/A or R/A?

I'm well into my 50s and would like to hear your story.

Latest data suggest running in moderation is good for O/A and joints in general, but R/A is a whole 'nother animal. Probably need some blood work done to track down autoimmune markers. There may be a way out of this.

Meanwhile check out this thread....

http://community.active.com/thread/85236/osteoarthritis-and-running;jsessionid=8603105EAC6017FDC124F5FB3E7BCC60.node0/0/0

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    2. May 13, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to tomwhite)

This short article Osteoarthritis Exercise and Cartilage.  The article is not specific to hip arthritis, but presents general concepts of how cartilage is affected by exercise.  If you have a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis of the hips, it is a distinctly different problem.

Damien Howell PT, MS, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

Aug 23, 2009
    4. May 13, 2010 6:47 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Although there have been stability issues reported on spring-loaded shoes, check out these sites just for grins.

I bought a pair of zcoils to rehab from an achilles injury years ago, and I can't say I'm sorry I did. They performed as promised, but the testimonials from others with more severe conditions bear some reading...

http://www.zcoilflorida.com/zcoilcanhelp.html

http://www.jrubio.us/products.asp

http://gravitydefyer.com/Buy/View-All-Women-GDefy-Athletics

http://www.zcoil.com/  (main site)

Aug 23, 2009
    5. May 13, 2010 7:09 PM (in response to Damien Howell)

Damien:  Do you recall a Scandinavian (or was it Dutch) study a few  years back that was published on MedScape, regarding the effect of  stress on joint regeneration? The gist of the study was an observed  increase in vascular growth in the vicinity of cartilage and a resulting  change in the chemical makeup of the fluid and cartilage resiliency,  all in response to "moderate" aerobic exercise (i.e.: running). At the  time, I posted a link to said study in an e-mail to the president of my  running club, promising there would be an officially published study  forthcoming (there was a "gag order" on the preliminary release to  Medscape). Though it could have easily escaped my glancing attention, I  never heard anything more about it, and I wonder if you or any of your  associates had.

• chrisb9341 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 21, 2007
    7. May 14, 2010 6:54 PM (in response to tomwhite)

I had a right hip replacement (hip resurfacing) due to OA 3 yrs ago. I am now pain free and run about 20-25 miles a week. Resurfacing is the way to go if you do need a replacement.

Chris

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    9. May 15, 2010 12:51 PM (in response to tomwhite)

James Johnson is already familiar with my treating severe Morton's Neuroma with prolotherapy injections.  I can't help mentioning that prolo treats the hips as well, tightening the whole assembly which shakes apart from years of running.

• chrisb9341 Amateur 14 posts since
    Oct 21, 2007
    11. May 15, 2010 4:46 PM (in response to tomwhite)

Tom,  I had a best case recovery. I was back to light duty work at 3 weeks, but probably could have gone back sooner. I kept myself in good shape right up until surgery. I think that helped a lot. I am going out tomorrow AM with friends for a 7 mile trail run and cant wait.

Chris

• cremail Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    13. Jun 2, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to tomwhite)

I am a 48 year old female just diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip(with 2 bone spurs).  The Doc was shocked to see this on someone my age.  I have been running seriously for at least 36 years(31 marathons).  Also VERY active and a Health/pe teacher.  I am in severe shock as to this and am glad to see your and Chris's posts.  PLEASE keep offering any info you have- this is new as I just was diagonsed yesterday and am going to find out a slew of more info re: my situation from the Doc pending looking at all the tests....  This makes me very hopeful I don't have to rule out running for the rest of my life...:)

• Designeer Pro 125 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    14. Jun 2, 2010 5:51 PM (in response to cremail)

Cremail, I am not a salesman I promise.  During my experience with prolotherapy, I kept reading in the newsletters how the body will grow bone spurs as a way to add calcium/concrete like strength to an area where the structural tissues have stretched or weakened.  These are usually tendons and ligaments.  Prolotherapy first tightens and builds these and then some prolotherapists then give another type of injection that hels break up the spur.but this is last.  Hope this helps.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...