Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1618 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2010 9:39 AM by Karensfit4life RSS
DoctorTy Amateur 30 posts since
Nov 15, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

May 16, 2010 10:00 PM

Runaway Parents ~ May 17, 2010~

Hey everyone, I'm back... I've missed this thread so much.

I don't know how to even sum up the last few months.

Well first, I ran my first 5K on 3/20 out in Phoenix, I ran it in 30:56. Here's my race report: http://roadto5kand30.blogspot.com/2010/03/run-like-nun-other-race-trip-report-day.html

Then, I ran my second 5K on 4/10 back at home in Jersey, and ran it in 28:36. Here's that race report: http://roadto5kand30.blogspot.com/2010/04/race-report-essential-2-life-5k.html

I just ran this past Thursday for the first time since 4/14th. I've been such a bum, but there is so much going on over here, I don't even know where to start. The short version: I was still grieving the loss of my grandmother, my marriage ended, I'm moving in a month (which means more $ for a deposit and more time spent packing) -- my 3rd move in 3 years, I've been working a 2nd job in addition to my regular job, my work schedule has not been conducive to working out, I've been working overtime to get myself better and improve myself. All of those things combined meant no running, no blogging and no posting on active.com.

But, I'm back. And I'm not going to let these things beat me down.

So glad to see you all still running.

Ty

Ty

Cheer me on on the road to 30 and my first 5K: http://roadto5kand30.blogspot.com

2010 Races

3/20 - The Nun Run 5K, Phoenix, AZ - 30:56 (report)
4/10 - Essential 2 Life 5K, Jersey City - 28:36 (report)
5/23 - Cheshire 5K, CT
6/27 - Fairfield 5K, Jennings Beach
7/21 - Citizen's Bank Evening 5K, Middlesex
8/1 - Soundrunner 5K, Guilford, CT
8/15 - West Rock Challenge 5K, New Haven
8/29 - Old Wethersfield 10K, CT

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    1. May 17, 2010 11:21 AM (in response to DoctorTy)
    Re: Runaway Parents ~ May 17, 2010~

Welcome back, TY!

Sounds like you have had a very stressful spring!  Hopefully things are starting to look up for you.  Graet times in your 5K's!  I know what you mean about finding time for stuff.  I have been thinking about all the obstacles to running/working out that I encounter especially being a mom.  May and June are the busiest months of the year for me (and many other parents).  There are softball/baseball games, dance recitals (plus rehearsals and pictures), music recitals, awards ceremonies and graduations.  Add to that the extra yard work, gardening, Mother's/father's Day and the many family birthdays.  I am starting to resent the imposition on my time.  I just wish there was more time in the day and that I had more energy to do it all.  I ran 3.5 miles today with the dog.  Came home and mowed the lawn - push mower for over an hour.  Now I need to run to the market and switch around some laundry.  Dinner needs to be early tonight because  one child has softball and two have dance.  I will be on taxi duty with my 4 y/o co-pilot.  Maybe we can stop at the pool for a swim between pick-off and pick up.  All I really want is a nap!  This week hubby is home to help.  Next week he will be in London and will miss the band recital and my son's graduation from Pre-k.  Which means I will have to video-tape both events - UGH!

Daughter #1 is home and, "We have nothing to eat in this house!"  I better run to the market.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    2. May 19, 2010 4:27 AM (in response to Francessmom)

Did a 5K Sunday for this walking club that I belong to.

Walked along the  waterfront.  This manatee was following me as I started the event (and  he was waiting for me when I finished! )

I had lunch  at a local bar & grill.  An ice cream parlor next door was having  its Grand Opening, so they had a DJ outside blasting tunes (It almost  reminded me of a race ... mercifully, he played the Pussycat Dolls,  B-52's, and Black Eyed Peas as opposed to Lady Gaga.  After sitting  through "Poker Face" through two events in a row, I needed a change! )

The heat  was brutal!

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    3. May 19, 2010 12:33 PM (in response to DoctorTy)

DoctorTy, it's good to hear from you, although I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a tough spring.  Big hugs!   The improvement in your 5K time was awesome.  I hope you are able to get in plenty of running & other "you-time" to help deal with the stress.

Liz, a manatee!  Wow, that's incredible.  I love seeing animals when I run, although I can't say I've seen anything more interesting than a couple of deer in the woods.

This month is going by so quickly!  I had decided to focus on speed training rather than distance, which turned out to be a great thing because I haven't had time for very many long runs.  I bought my husband a pair of running shoes for his 40th birthday last weekend.  I was a little hesitant to get them, (a) because I didn't know how they'd fit, and (b) because I didn't want to offend him by saying he needed to work out.  But the store said he could exchange them (which wasn't necessary) and he'd been talking about maybe starting to run.  I think he likes them.   Hopefully he'll get out and use them. 

My question this week is an etiquette question, I guess.  For me, running is a solo activity.  Other than an occasional long run with my neighbor, I have no desire to make it social.  So how do you suggest I deal with another friend who has been asking me to go running with her?  I broke down and did it last week, and although I did enjoy the conversation, I felt a little robbed at the end of the run.  My mind never found that lovely quiet place, and our pace was so slow I didn't feel like I had a quality run.  She has been emailing me this week asking when we can go again, and I just don't want to.  It's like in the old days of being single, when you'd have a date that was okay but you'd rather just be friends and don't know how to tell them.  Any suggestions?

Happy running, everyone!

Ali

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

• Francessmom Pro 177 posts since
    Feb 11, 2009
    4. May 19, 2010 1:39 PM (in response to Ali-Gator)

Hi Runaways!

I ran 3.5 miles with the dog today.  I don't bother timing myslef when the dog comes with me because she slows me down.  Then I get discouraged that she is hampering my times.  At this point I am just trying to keep my fitness lavel constant in prep for the Tri.  We have also been getting our swim club ready for the memorail day start of the season.  I've been doing lots of painting and prepping.  My arms ache from painting.  i have developed calluses from the roller and brushes!  My hands are not very pretty right now.

Ali - I would talk to your friend about how you feel about running.  Let her know that it is pure "me" time for you when you can be alone with your thoughts and de-stress.  I think if you make it sound like a personal preference and not a problem with her, she will understand.  You could also offer to run with her once a month - say the first tuesday of the month.  Make the date with her something special - try a new route, do all hills, have lunch afterwards.  It will make it more enjoyable when you do get together. Good Luck!

Liz - that manatee sounds so cool!  My in-laws live near Tampa.  When we visit we always go to see the manatees near the TECO plant. They seem like totally stress-free creatures.

Marie

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

6/11/2011 - Warrior Dash Pennsylvania - 52:26

6/24/2011 - CBA 5K - 27:11

8/7/2011 - Danskin Sherox Triathlon Philadelphia - 1:54:16

11/5/2011 - Penn Homecoming 5K - 28:46

11/13/11 - Media Mud Stain 5 mile - 53:39

05/06/2012 - Broad Street Run 10 Mile - 1:36:11

06/03/12 - See Chicks Run 10 K - 54:23

06/26/12 - CBA 5 K - 26:28

09/16/12 - Rock & Roll Half Marathon Philadelphia - 2:03:07

• Karensfit4life Expert 80 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    5. May 19, 2010 2:27 PM (in response to Francessmom)

Is this a private club or can any running mamma join?

Karen (38)

Mom to 2 boys (13 and 5)

5/22/10 Festival of Hope 5k [39:12]

10/17/10 1st Half Marathon - Girlfriends Half Marathon Vancouver, WA

• Gravity06 Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    6. May 19, 2010 3:01 PM (in response to Karensfit4life)

Jump on in, Karen!

We're always up for good convo!

Ali, Marie -- I'm worried about the oil spill in the Gulf.  What's going to happen to the manatees should worse come to ... worse?

~Liz~

Started Walking March 2009

================

2010 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk (1:17:09)

2010 AFLAC Iron Girl Clearwater 5K Run/Walk, (1:14:10)

2010 Miles For Hope 5K -- Clearwater (1:22:14) (Oh, that bridge!)

2011 Gasparilla 5+3K, (2:03:18)

2012 Gasparilla 5K Fun Walk, 3/3/12

• Karensfit4life Expert 80 posts since
    Dec 27, 2007
    7. May 20, 2010 9:39 AM (in response to Gravity06)

Good morning ladies!

I had an AWESOME 2 mile run yesterday followed by some circuit training.  I was dripping with sweat and it felt great :-)  I am currently in week 3 of the Hal Higdon 10k program.  It seams to be working well for me.  Today is a cross training day.  I am hoping to get on the elliptical like I planned on Tuesday but they were all full, ugh.  Lets see.....  We actually don't have any baseball tonight but hubby has a work meeting to go to.  Tomorrow night is an away baseball game but the weather is not looking too good for that right now so we'll see if that actually happens.  Oh and I have to do some more checking on a 5k race this weekend.  I thought I missed the cutoff but my mom seems to think I can still register so I just might be running my first race on Saturday.

Have a great day everyone.

Karen (38)

Mom to 2 boys (13 and 5)

5/22/10 Festival of Hope 5k [39:12]

10/17/10 1st Half Marathon - Girlfriends Half Marathon Vancouver, WA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...