Skip navigation

1415 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2005 7:10 PM by casual_rider RSS
Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2005 7:16 PM

Comparing Cycling to Running

I was wondering, is there any chart or I guess formula that compares running distances to cycling?  What I mean is, "If you run 5 miles, that's the equivalent, or same amount of work, as riding this many miles..."  or something like that? 

Thanks!

• LiquidMotion Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 28, 2005 11:18 PM (in response to Pathen)
    Re: Comparing Cycling to Running

I would think that a truly reliable formula like that would be pretty hard to come up with, b/c running seems to be so much higher-impact than cycling, especially on knees, ankles and vertabrae.

I regularly do rides over 60 miles and I have a tennis-friend who says 'man, that's like running a marathon, right?!' ... i know however, that i am nowhere near marathon-ready, in running terms.

it's a good question that you pose, though. i wonder what equations people have come up with...

• T3charlie Community Moderator 79 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 29, 2005 1:53 AM (in response to Pathen)

I've always equated running a marathon with riding a century.  If you extrapolate, that would equate a 10K run with cycling roughly 25 miles.  I believe these numbers have absolutely no practical use for training or competing, but it's an interesting comparison, I thought.

• casual_rider Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 29, 2005 11:44 AM (in response to Pathen)

Hi

i found a calculator on self.com you can calculate the number of  calories burned for each activity/sport.

Cas

• coxwithane Pro 97 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Aug 30, 2005 9:16 AM (in response to Pathen)

I know several people who routinely ride centuries several days each week, being the mileage whores that they are. I don't know anyone, however, who runs several marathons a week. It is truly useless to even try comparing running with cycling beyond how many calories are burned doing each one. Running puts your body through way more pounding and force on your joints than cycling does. Being in shape for one has nothing to do with being in shape for the other.

Amy

• TurboMatic Pro 53 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 30, 2005 6:02 PM (in response to Pathen)

I went to the self.com website then "fitness", "want to burn more calories?", "select an activity" and you can use the calculator. I'm not a runner so no experience but I have a big doubt about this calculator.

In "Bicycling", I chose "Moderate" from "Light, moderate or vigorous" and for 60 minutes the calories burnt was 579. Then for "Running" I chose "8 min mile" from 6, 8, 10, or 12, and for 60 minutes the calories burnt was 950. This is only about 50% more than cycling !!

¡¡¡no comprendo!!! I would imagine running at 8 min  uses much, much more than 50% more than cycling at "moderate".

What think you?

• casual_rider Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Aug 30, 2005 7:10 PM (in response to Pathen)

I compared cycling vigorously to running a ten minute mile and it burns the exact same number of calories ...

I don't know if it's accurate or not?

but i like to think I am actually cycling vigorously  and that I'm burning as many calories as I would if I was running, and for my age a ten min mile is probably about right.  .

But i really don't know?.

Cas

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...