Skip navigation

4116 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2011 12:10 PM by Jonjon RSS
unsure48 Rookie 1 posts since
May 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 18, 2010 9:02 AM

Can anyone be a runner?

I was wondering if anyone can do the Couch to K plan. I am 48 30lbs overweight itch like crazy when I run then get so annoyed that

I can't continue. I just feel miserable when I try this Is this common or am I a freak!!! I want to do it really bad,but I know that there are

some things that not everyone can do. Just need to know if anyone else has run into this issue and if so, what is a cure? My heart feels like

it will beat out of my chest and I am not sure if that will get better as I get in better shape or not.

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    1. May 21, 2010 6:02 AM (in response to unsure48)
    Re: Can anyone be a runner?

YES!!  YOU CAN DO IT.  Ignore your doubts and fears and just try it.  Check this forum out: http://community.active.com/community/sports/running/newbies  You'll see that there are ton of other people in the same boat. 

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• Kazuba Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 18, 2009
    2. Jul 3, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to unsure48)

The first few minutes of a run are usually not very pleasant. The body has to convert the energy required for sustained activity like running. As a result, the body complains a bit at the start but it does generate the energy as you continue running. And when the run become very pleasant you will experience what is known as a “runners high”.

When I started running nine years ago, I could not run for five minutes straight. Now I run marathons, just completed my 7th in June 2010.

You may want to jog or walk fast as a start, so your body can get used to the activity. It does take time, but it is rewarding.

If itching is caused by body and clothing friction, use Vaseline.

• Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    3. Jul 6, 2010 10:31 PM (in response to unsure48)

Heck ya, anyone can be a runner. I started Couch to 5K (C25K) 5 weeks ago. I am 45 years old, 60 pounds overweight and quit smoking just 9 months ago. Tonight I did 2 segments of W5D1 and finished 4 miles. Woot woot, it takes dedication and a positive attitiude but if you want it you will get it!

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

• Cfrizz Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    4. Aug 5, 2010 9:44 PM (in response to unsure48)

Yes, you can do it!!  I started running just about a year ago, on the C25K program.  I was 43 years old and had NEVER been a runner and the longest I had ever run was 1 mile; back in highschool.  When I started I could barely finish a one minute run; thought I was going to die! But I stuck to it and the plan REALLY works.  Each weeks build on the last and if you follow the plan as written you will do it!!  When you feel like you can't continue take a few seconds (while running) to try to evaluate what is really hurting; if legs maybe stop a minute and stretch, if lungs try to take a few deep breaths and SLOW down.  Often when I evaluate like that I can't pinpoint anything that is really preventing me from going on so I know if is just mental and I keep going.  I now run about 4 miles, 4 days a week.

As for the itching I don't know.  Is it itching all over or one place?  Could it be from sweat?  Maybe try some cornstarch powder or Goldbond powder?

Cathie

• waterproofmp3 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 6, 2011
    5. Jan 6, 2011 5:04 PM (in response to unsure48)

If you have not done any physical activities in the last couple of years it is never to late to start all over again. Just start jogging to your own pace and develop your indurance from there. If you have to take baby steps to get you going by all means do so. Jogging will help you in many ways not just with your weight but with your overall health and self esteem as well. Good Luck

waterproof mp3 player for swimmers and water sports enthusiasts to help you get motivated in and out of the water.

• Jonjon Pro 61 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    6. Apr 11, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to unsure48)

Absolutely you can run! If you have been pretty sedentary of late, it would be good to visit with your doctor, just to be safe. Then start slow, celebrate small victories, and see what happens!

Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points