Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5737 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2010 3:04 AM by ptgirl10 RSS
ThreeLittlePigs Pro 65 posts since
Feb 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

May 17, 2010 3:30 AM

If you suffer from tight shoulders when running ....

... you should try this weird tip which I picked up in a small article in a running magazine.  I tried it during a 7.5K run at the weekend, and it really works.

All you need are two small twigs, or sticks, that you hold gently in each of your hands while you run.  It really helps you to relax your arms, by subliminally focussing on holding the two sticks.  If they have knots, or a roughish bark, it's even better as it makes them 'imperfect', and thus your fingers naturally discover the texture and so on, so you're running, but not concentrating on breathing patterns, or shoulder/arm tightness and so on.

Try it!.  It works!

TLP

My Goal is the Cork City Marathon on June the 7th, with three of my six Brothers, two of whom are multiple Marathon runners....

1st Leg - Steve (Me) (5.4 Miles)

2nd Leg - Denis (9.5 Miles)

3rd Leg - Fiach (2.3 Miles)

4th Leg - Ken (9 miles)

• Jolien88 Amateur 36 posts since
    May 9, 2010

Thanks TLP. I'll try that tomorrow. My physiotherapist always tells me to relax my shoulders because it causes my back to hurt if I don't. Haven't been able to do that while running. Hope this helps!

• Jenni2009 Expert 48 posts since
    May 8, 2009

Hey!  7.5K?!?  That's terrific!  How did it feel -- how long did it take?  It was not the relay with your brothers, right?  Something else?  Very happy for you!!! 

• ohioraceday Pro 111 posts since
    May 8, 2010

umm. I'm going to try this.  I need to remember this for tomorrow when I run.

• JenVB Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009

I am in week 6 of the C25K and I was wondering how I could relax my shoulders.  Thanks so much for the information!! Jen

• Gottherunnindone Amateur 36 posts since
    Mar 17, 2010

Thanks!  I'm going to try this.  Lately something is going on with my left shoulder when I run...from my under arm (pit area) past my elbow all the way down to my pinky finger, the entire bottom half of my arm goes numb.  It used to only happen occassionally when I ran on a treadmill but Wednesday it happened when I was running outside.  I can't wait to try this and see if it works.

Freihofer's Run For Women 5k-6/05/10- 36:53

Altamont 5k- 8/28/10- 35:14

Race for the Cure 5k- 10/02/10- 33:21

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."  Harriet Beecher Stowe

Mar 17, 2010

Got half way through my run on Saturday and remembered but couldn't find any sticks.  I was running through a super immaculate neighborhood that didn't have any sticks big enough to carry! 

Luckily I live in a 'hood with lots of old pine trees so I'm going to grab a few before I go running tomorrow.  I'll let you know!

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."  Harriet Beecher Stowe

• timetogorun Rookie 1 posts since
    May 24, 2010

If you are feeling numbness something is probably pinched. A chiropractic adjustment might be helpful.

Mar 17, 2010

Okay, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it but it totally works!  Instead of the whole bottom half of my arm going tingly/numb from my arm pit to my pinky finger, I just had one spot right in my shoulder joint.  Definitely an improvement!  Yes, I probably do have something pinched but as this is the only time it acts up, I'm not too worried for now. 

Mar 17, 2010

LOL!  I managed to find some sticks from a tree that are the width of fat crayons and broke them off to about four inches long.  They work perfectly and feel like my own little "handlebars."  I did feel a little silly yesterday when I took them to the gym and used them while running on the treadmill but again, they worked.  Treadmill runs are usually worse as far as tingling and numbness but that didn't happen with the sticks.  Also, when my shins started hurting, I just pressed my thumbs into the sharp rough end of the stick and it was a distraction from my shin pain- which eventually went away.  I'll keep using the sticks and thanks for posting this because I'd never heard of such a thing but it's really helped.

• ptgirl10 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 29, 2010

a pt would probably work better since it sounds like an impingement and there is a dysfunction developing now.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...