Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

669 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2005 7:45 AM by jstewa1
speed99 Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2005 8:51 AM

knee pain/cramping

I currently ride approx 60 to 75 miles per week.  I have no known issues with my knees but have been waking up at night recently with what seems to be cramps in my left knee area.  I have had this happen in other leg muscles but never in my knee...any ideas?

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 26, 2005 2:10 PM (in response to speed99)
    Re: knee pain/cramping

I get cramps when I ride that much.  Try potassium supplements.  Also banannas and soy milk have a lot of potassium.

• Gee Whiz Man! Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 27, 2005 1:23 AM (in response to speed99)

I have never had knee pain, (Knock on wood) however, I have dealt with cramps in my legs which went away when I began drinking gatorade on my longer rides.  Perhaps the electrolytes in the gatorade is was helped.  I have also had success with dealing with cramps by eating something salty during a long ride and right after completing the ride.  Small bag of pretzels is what I ate.

• jstewa1 Expert 41 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 27, 2005 7:45 AM (in response to speed99)

Like some of the responders mentioned it could be a function of nutrition. However, I am a big believer that camps occur from one of three things or a combination there of: nutrition, flexibility and endurance. People who are less flexible tend to cramp more often. People who do not eat a wide variety of foods that give them a broad range of electrolytes and minerals tend to cramp more often (and be cautious about just throwing one mineral at a cramping problem as most nutritional issues are synergistic, not isolated ones), and people who have built greater levels of muscular endurance cramps less. So, in short, stretch more, improve your diet with more vegetables, fruits, whole grains and vitamins, minerals and water, and continue to build your endurance with training. Last but not least, this could be due to a mechanical issue, so if it does not get beter with the suggestions mentioned above, then I would suggest getting a bike fit and then maybe having someone like a physiacl therapist examine you.

Jeb Stewart MS, CSCS

Owner/President

The Peaks Coaching Group

"We Care About Your Success!"

www.peakscoachinggroup.com

jeb@peakscoachinggroup.com

(540) 586-4200 phone

(540) 586-5715 fax

Click Here to Check Out Jeb's Strength Training Plans for Endurance Athletes Online at http://trainingpeaks.com

"Believing in people before they have proven themselves is the key to motivating them to reach their potential."

--- John Maxwell

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...