Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

20613 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2010 8:36 AM by preggorunner RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Mar 23, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to runonair3446)
    Re: Reactions to the book: Born to Run

I love my VFF's.. but haven't tried the Feelmax.....  but still prefer true skin on asphalt whenever i can

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    46. Apr 26, 2010 2:39 PM (in response to joeyverville)

I'm a 53 y/o newby who just started running in January.  Not really a new year's resolution, but I felt I had to kick it into a higher gear if I ever want to lose weight and play with grandkids when they arrive.

I'm really grateful to Christopher MacDougall and Born to Run for getting me started.  I read a review of the book somewhere and was hooked by the comment about, "his foot hurt".  I was hooked and reeled in.  I never would have started running if it hadn't been for that book review.  It took 3.5 months for the book to arrive at the library, but I am really having a blast reading it right now.

I am getting really curious about barefoot running (reading about Barefoot Ted right now). I'm not ready to buy VFF, but I plan to hit the HS track and take off my shoes for a couple of laps to see how it feels.  I remember running trails (inspired by Carlos Castanedas) in the 70's in first generation Adidas.  I had a blast, but then I was about 70 lbs lighter then, scrawny as heck.  I really want to get that feeling back.

I finished the C25K about two weeks ago and have my first 5K in two weeks.  The best part is how good I feel, even though I still get a little stiff after running.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

Feb 23, 2010
    47. Apr 27, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to joeyverville)

FYI to barefoot runners.  I stopped at REI in Manhattan Beach (SoCal) to look at the VFFs and saw that they are having a barefoot running class Wed night (4/28) at 6:30.  http://www.rei.com/event/5350/session/6518

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

• cmarieo Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009
    48. Apr 27, 2010 11:02 AM (in response to joeyverville)

Well, It's been many months since my last post raving about the book and barefoot running and I'm still a believer, but I think I really hurt my feet trying to move to flatter shoes. I have plantar fascia on both feet and every time after I jog I have agonizing pain after. After trying a flatter shoe for a few weeks, Champion's with no arch support, flat leather sole, the pain moved to the top of my foot rather than just the heel. I'm afraid I'll do more damage if I keep going. I really wanted to get into it, but I don't want to need a walker before i'm 40. Help?

• cmarieo Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009
    49. Apr 27, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to joeyverville)

As an added note,  with the flatter Champion's, I was able to jog farther and longer than ever before. Loved it!!!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    50. Apr 27, 2010 11:47 AM (in response to cmarieo)

cmarieo wrote:

Well, It's been many months since my last post raving about the book and barefoot running and I'm still a believer, but I think I really hurt my feet trying to move to flatter shoes. I have plantar fascia on both feet and every time after I jog I have agonizing pain after. After trying a flatter shoe for a few weeks, Champion's with no arch support, flat leather sole, the pain moved to the top of my foot rather than just the heel. I'm afraid I'll do more damage if I keep going. I really wanted to get into it, but I don't want to need a walker before i'm 40. Help?

You probably jumped into it too fast.  "Too much, too fast, too soon" applies to ALL changes, whether distance or speed or running style.  Your best bet is to back off, get your injuries under control, and try again at a more carefully controlled rate of change.  Here's a pretty good article with some tips toward the end. http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/ (with thanks to theInjuryCoach for the link).

Len

P.S.  I'm not a real hard-core barefoot guy, but I do some barefoot running and I see definite benefits.  This article presents a pretty well-balanced review with the ultimate emphasis on barefoot.

Len

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    51. Apr 27, 2010 1:03 PM (in response to Curtis721)

I bumped into a guy wearing a pair of vibram 5 fingers this weekend and talked to him quite a bit about how he liked them.

He was just coming off an injury and was hoping the vff’s would help him ease back into running.  He loved them, but was suffering from sore calves which I have often read is a common problem when you are new to vff’s or barefoot running.  It’s definitely something you need to ease into.

Since vff’s cost more than the last pair of running shoes I bought, I just think they are a little too expensive to experiment with.  I do plan to try barefoot someday and maybe someday if I ever find myself with some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket I'd consider trying the vff's too.

Oh, and I loved Born to Run.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• Einherjar Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 28, 2008
    52. Apr 29, 2010 5:17 AM (in response to Curtis721)

Just a suggestion when thinking of running barefoot on a track: if the track is new, wear socks or only do a couple of laps. New tracks are very coarse and have lots of jagged pieces of rubber that will tear the pads of your toes apart. If it is an older well used track it should be better because the surface will be smoother.

Another suggestion is to find a nice football filed and do some laps around that. Grass and dirt really feel good on the skin.

Xterras are fun.

First 50k - 10/16/2010 - 4:20

Half and Full Ironman in 2011

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    53. Apr 29, 2010 5:39 AM (in response to Einherjar)

I agree with the warning about running on tracks barefoot. The first time I tried on my HS's freshly rebuilt track I did notice a lot more friction on the un calloused parts of my feet. Part of that is because the new track are still very rubbery and bouncy and rubber inherently has lots of friction. Plus what RunWest said,  those little bits of rubber are great for kids in track cleats, harder on bare skin.  That said  I also went back several times and as I really focused on my stride, shortened it way down... made sure I was placing and lifting each foot as directly and with as little braking of pushoff s possible, that also alleviated the problem.

As for grass, just remember with grass that although it will give you a nice cool and natural sensation on  your  skin, all that soft squishy sod does the same things running shoes do, they lessen the pain of impact on your feet.

As Barefoot Kenbob always preaches, there is no surer, faster way to find the perfect gentle, zero friction, low impact barefoot stride than in actual bare feet on asphalt.  You WILL feel your stride change. Imagine thos cartoons with Wile E Coyote and Roadrunner,  when their bodies are bolt upright and motionless and there feet are just spinning in a perfect barrel sized circle under them... that is you running barefoot.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    54. May 3, 2010 7:01 PM (in response to joeyverville)

I bought Born to Run on a whim before having heard anything about it.  I've since read it twice and love it.  What I find so interesting about discussions regarding the book is that everyone attributes McDougall's transformation from "injured guy" to "ultra runner" to barefooting and this "secret" he learned from a reclusive tribe.

In reality, he just started training like he should: he did strength work before his runs, he ran in neutral trainers (he didn't train barefoot for the 50 mile race), he ran a lot of hills, he worked on his form constantly, and he improved his diet.  These are all no-brainer, common ways to avoid injury and become faster and more consistent with your training.  One theme from Born to Run is minimalism, but the other aspects of McDougall's training that helped him complete a 50 mile trail run are equally important in his transformation.

Sometimes I cringe when I hear about runners reading the book and then wanting to ditch their shoes, thinking they can avoid injury.  It will help if you transition correctly, but there are bigger fish to fry if your diet sucks, you don't do core work or run hills, and your form is terrible.  People need to think of the big picture.

Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    56. May 23, 2010 3:57 PM (in response to joeyverville)

Thanks Joey, glad you like my thoughts on the book.  This thread actually prompted me to write a more in-depth analysis of the book's main concepts: http://bit.ly/aO8SKM.  Born to Run is a good example of getting back to basics, something that will help all of our running.  Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    57. May 23, 2010 4:32 PM (in response to joeyverville)

A couple of the best comments I've seen.  McDougall does not emphasize or spend a lot of time on the work he put into his own transition.  And he buries it fairly late in the book.  In fact, almost nobody in the book runs barefoot.  I think Barefoot Ted is the only character that does much and he arguably doesn't in the race (VFFs).  The Tarahumara don't run barefoot.  I think the theme should more likely be minimalism and proper training, not barefoot.

And that kind of sums up my problems with the book: hodge-podge, scattershot, lacking coherence.  There is a story, but it jumps around so much it's hard to follow.  He needed to do a better job of connecting the dots.  There is also some useful information about running, but you have to stop and read carefully when you find it.  It's almost like he threw it in as an afterthought.  A minor annoyance was the hero-worship, larger-than-life portrayal of the major characters in the book.

Still, I read the whole thing.  And overall, it was worthwhile.  I don't know that I'll read it a second time though.

Len

Len

• buoy1 Rookie 5 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    58. May 23, 2010 6:25 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

THANK you to the last couple of commenters for making those points.   The book seems fascinating, sure, but the condemnation of "modern" running is a bit hard to swallow.  I'm sure barefoot running can be fantastic, but I don't like the inherent insistance that those who run with shoes are destined for injury.  The common sense precautions (and training!) of any exercise activity should not be overlooked.  I think many of the points made in the NY Times article linked on this thread make a whole lot of sense.  I'm a newbie, but something about the book really rubbed me the wrong way.

Feb 23, 2010
    59. May 24, 2010 5:44 PM (in response to JasonFitz1)

Thanks for that article.  There was so much great information in Born to Run and it wasn't all about barefoot running, though that seems to be a big takeaway.  I liked the "science" chapters the delved into problems with shoes and chasing down wild animals.  I have tried barefoot running, but only a couple of times a week for very short runs.  I don't ever see myself running barefoot exclusively.

My local HS track is fairly new, about one year.  It's a little rough, but not as hard to handle as the pebbly walking loop at the park.  It's been a month since I started and I just did 4 laps at the track.  I live in an "asian" household that takes their shoes off at the door for cleanliness.  You can't take your feet off at the door.

Form is essential, and I'm learning and trying to apply the cadence thing from Chi Running and Evolution Running.  There is a hill on the park loop that I go to once a week.

I will need to read Born to Run again to get deeper into it, but I agree that there was more to it than just barefoot running.  As a newby, it gave me a lot to think about.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...