NEED HELP?|

892 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2005 7:39 AM by jstewa1
basiswgt Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 26, 2005 11:29 AM

Feet Pain

All,

I am submitting this to ask how many cyclists experience a burning sensation across the balls of one or both feet when riding.  I use look style pedals and cleats and I ride 100 - 200 miles a week.  On longer rides I have to stop and deal with this foot pain, after a few minutes it seems to subside and I can continue. 

Anyone experience this? any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Tim Hayden

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 26, 2005 2:12 PM (in response to basiswgt)
    Re: Feet Pain

See previous post, very common problem with lots of opinions.  I had what you described, got orthotics for my bike shoes, provides support for the metatarsal arch, pain went away.

• Gee Whiz Man! Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 27, 2005 1:13 AM (in response to basiswgt)

I have to give a "thumbs up" to orthodic inserts.  I ride the same as you, although I have only had four 200+ mile weeks this year, and experienced pain in my feet.  The pain went away with orthodic inserts.  You can get them from most podiatrists but, I got mine from an old shoe maker who took an impression of my foot and made them within a week.  I have even seen places that will sell them to you over the internet. 

Another possibility for your foot pain is not using stiff soled cycling shoes.  If that is the case then, every crank of the pedal would allow your foot to flex which could lead to foot pain.

I hope this helps.

• jstewa1 Expert 41 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 27, 2005 7:39 AM (in response to basiswgt)

Tim,

Sounds like you are a candidate for a bike fit. I am a big believer that everyone who rides more than 1-2 x per week should have one. It will prvent injury and discomfort and improve performance. Your position could be causing this pain and so could the type, size and make up of your shoe, which a good bike fitter (a Serotta or Wobblenaught certified) fitter could determine for you. The investment will pay dividends. There could be several issues causing this, so it is best to have the whole position assessed to get to the root.

Jeb Stewart MS, CSCS

Owner/President

The Peaks Coaching Group

"We Care About Your Success!"

www.peakscoachinggroup.com

jeb@peakscoachinggroup.com

(540) 586-4200 phone

(540) 586-5715 fax

Click Here to Check Out Jeb's Strength Training Plans for Endurance Athletes Online at http://trainingpeaks.com

"Believing in people before they have proven themselves is the key to motivating them to reach their potential."

--- John Maxwell

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...