Skip navigation

4026 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2008 11:04 PM by MotiveForcer RSS
Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2005 11:54 AM

Dry Mouth!

Hi!  I've been cycling for a while and noticed that my mouth tends to get really REALLY dry.  I've tried only breathing through my nose, but I don't seem to get enough air that way.  Should I just take some water breaks, or is there some special way you should breath while riding?

Thanks a bunch!

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 15, 2005 6:48 AM (in response to Pathen)
    Re: Dry Mouth!

Yes, you need to hydrate... especially on rides longer than 15-20 miles.

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 18, 2005 12:01 PM (in response to Pathen)

Hydration is crucial; especially if you live in the south. Make sure you're not mixing your sport drink too strongly. If so, you'll actually dehydrate by drinking it. The key to hydration is to drink BEFORE you're thirsty. It's a lot easier to maintain fluid levels than to replenish them. The latter has you playing catch-up for the whole ride... and the hours afterwards.

• Gee Whiz Man! Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 20, 2005 2:48 AM (in response to Pathen)

Some people have had success keeping hydrated with using a "camel-back" type hydration back-pack.  With the bite valve close by it makes it easy to continually take a sip of water and avoid the dry mouth.  Or, if you prefer take a sip from your water bottle at a specific time interval, like every 15 minutes, whether you "feel" thirsty or not.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Aug 22, 2005 5:40 PM (in response to Pathen)

To attack the problem from a different angle; you did mention not being able to breathe through your nose.  If you want help in that area, try a breathe right strip.  They open up the nasal passages, especially helpful if that area is already constricted.  Common if you've ever had your nose broken.

• hiwaybeats34 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2008
    5. Aug 14, 2008 8:30 AM (in response to Pathen)

Not sure if this is a no-no but i can not ride if i'm not chewing gum. I find that drinking LOTS of fluid...Inhaling through my nose-exhailing through my mouth helps control my pie hole hydration. Mint gum seems to be the best...not too sugary.

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Sep 13, 2008 11:04 PM (in response to hiwaybeats34)

So, did you open your nose and drink more water?  Are you still dry? 

EJ

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...