Skip navigation

1080 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2005 2:57 AM by Gee Whiz Man! RSS
BikeMommy Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 15, 2005 4:21 PM

Need bike shoes recommendations. TIA.

I need the bare basic minumum and nothing too $$ since I will be cycling 10-15 miles a week. Thanks in Advance.

• Pathen Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Aug 15, 2005 4:29 PM (in response to BikeMommy)
    Re: Need bike shoes recommendations. TIA.

I'd try getting some Shimanoes. (is that how you spell it?)I've had mine for a while and they're still in great condition.  They're really comfy, and were pretty cheap (okay, like 70 bucks, but that's still fairly cheap in bike shoe terms)  Well, Have fun!!!!!!

• casual_rider Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 15, 2005 8:16 PM (in response to BikeMommy)

Hi there

i got Diadora brand,,, they were about 80 bucks i think but  you just can't buy cycling shoes that are cheap,  i looked online  for some but i wasnt sure of the sizing since everything is in european size, cycling shoes are not made in the USA i was told.

im just a newbie but i can tell you that the proper shoes make a WORLD of  difference,,, there is no way i could ride in my sneakers now!

Cas

• casual_rider Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Aug 15, 2005 8:20 PM (in response to BikeMommy)

Oh Bike Mommy ! i didn't recognize your name for a sec.

Did you get a bike? what kind did you get? have you had time to ride much?

I was a slug tonight and didnt get out , but im doing about ten miles a night and im an old lady!!( not every night  tho) maybe someday i will do longer rides , lol then again maybe not.

cas

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Aug 16, 2005 7:16 AM (in response to BikeMommy)

I got my first pair of shoes used for $10 from a local bike shop.  If you are LUCKY, a bike shop MIGHT carry used shoes that MIGHT be the right size for you.  It is a long shot though.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Aug 16, 2005 2:45 PM (in response to BikeMommy)

Shimano SPD cleats would be a good first choice.  Do you have the pedals?  If not, I would suggest getting them together, that way you know that the clips from the pedals will fit on the shoes.  Also, if you go to spinning classes, most of them use the Shimano SPD pedal.  You don't have to have Shimano shoes in order to fit Shimano pedals.  I have a pair of Diadora road shoes, and a pair of Carnac mountain shoes for the other bike, and a pair of Shimano sandals (all around $70) and they do a good enough job.  You can't own too much bike gear you know.  I know a guy who tried on a pair of Sidi (sp?) for over $200 and bought them on the spot, but he rides competitively.  Buy on sale, don't pay full retail.  Should be some good closeout sales this time of year.  Try them on and try them on the bike, or a trainer if they won't let them leave the store.  Don't chintz on the shoes!  (See other thread about foot pain)

• Gee Whiz Man! Amateur 14 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    6. Aug 20, 2005 2:57 AM (in response to BikeMommy)

I have had good luck with Lake shoes.  They come in a wide version as well.  I started with Lake MX 80 with SPD cleats.  After riding with that set up for 4 years I switched to Lake CX 220 wide with SPD-SL cleats because they provide a wider platform.  At any rate the shoes have held up just fine and they are reasonably priced.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...