Skip navigation

2460 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2010 4:19 PM by MarciElliott RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

May 30, 2010 10:56 AM

Firemen's 5k Reviews

Share your experiences with the Firemen's 5k below Back to event details page.

• BucketMan Rookie 1 posts since
    May 15, 2010
    1. May 30, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Firemen's 5k Reviews

This is a great event, for a great cause and a fitting memorial for our fallen firefighters.

I would change one thing and that is to have the finish back at the start area or at least close by. Many people walk back along Hulen Rd which is very busy and has no sidewalks. That would also allow the awards ceremony to start sooner, which seemed to drag on just a bit. Many potential winners had already left the race. This resulted in the announcer having to call out multiple numbers for each prize, which also caused it to last a bit longer than necessary.

• JetskiBabe Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    2. May 30, 2010 11:59 AM (in response to Guest )

Great cause and my first time there.  I agree with BucketMan about having the finish and start area be close by eachother.  I'd pay a little more for a tek shirt.  It was so hot and muggy for the official cotton t-shirts that not many were wearing them.

• dg12 Amateur 76 posts since
    Jul 12, 2007
    3. May 30, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to Guest )

1) Busing director dropped the ball. Had buses parked right next to the people waiting for 20  mins. between buses, exhaust blowing right at the people and blocking the slight breeze. I could've literally ran back to the start before boarding the next bus. It's only a 2.5 mile ride.

2) Website is still not updated with results link and any photo info (who does the photos?). Saw a few Pro photographers.

3) Was well organized by volunteers and staff otherwise.

4) Has 2 small areas of incline, 1 longer slight incline, other than that has plenty of downhill and ever so slight downhill to make it fast.

• Carol P2000 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    4. May 30, 2010 2:12 PM (in response to Guest )

Good race course and overall well organized.  Would have been nice to have more cold water at the finish line while people were waiting for buses.  Shade would also been good - the only way to be in the shade was to stand next to the disgusting garbage dumpsters.

• Stulane Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    5. May 30, 2010 6:10 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall the event is fun.  Due to the nature of the cause, it would be nice to see the awards categorized separately between running club members and the people who are actually there to support the cause...the men and women and their families who risk their lives daily just as the brave men who the run was dedicated to did.  It is not fair to them to have people who belong to running clubs dominate the awards.  They deserve to receive some recognition.  Also, moving the water break a little further into the race rather than at roughly mile 1...say mile 2 instead.

Jul 12, 2007
    6. May 31, 2010 10:11 AM (in response to Guest )
  • JetskiBabe Rookie 2 posts since
    May 30, 2010
    7. May 31, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to Stulane)

Totally agree.  I'm a rookie jogger but I didn't need water that early...needed it around 2 or 2.5 miles.   The race was in a beautiful part of Fort Worth but the finish line was not the best place...next to trash dumpsters...

• Jen Fee Rookie 1 posts since
    May 10, 2010
    8. May 31, 2010 11:52 AM (in response to Guest )

Finish line could have been at a better place and could have used one more water station but overall I really enjoyed it.  It wasn't too hilly which is good for me.  I really appreciated the set-up and everything they had to offer before and after the event.  Thank you to all the volunteers

• ym1499 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2010
    9. May 31, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to Guest )

*MUST READ*

1 good thing a few bad:

*The course was awesome, all down hill was a plus!

• The starting time of the awards and the time distributing awards was way too long!  We waited forever for "more people" to show up and then when we finally started, they stopped between the age groups to give out multiple drawing prizes which took forever because all of the bibs went into the drawing, but not everyone stays for the awards....

*HERE IS THE KICKER: The times were posted and my friend placed third in her age group.  So we waited FOREVER to get her award and when it finally arrived, they called the first, then the second and right before they got to her name a woman ran up and then all of a sudden there was a "problem".  We went over to the desk to see what the problem was and this lady said she ran a time faster than that and she should have been second.  However, there was no record of her time.  The people in charge literally typed in her time into the system and took her word and said they had to go with the honor system!  We were appalled.  So not only had they posted the winners already, but they bumped my friend to fourth!  I think the fair thing to do here should have been to honor the placers they posted and then if they wanted to take her "word" then they should have given her a separate award.  Needless to say we were upset because we had waited over an hour just to get her award.  MORAL OF THIS STORY:  Next year if you want an award just don't wear a chip, say it didn't work, and tell them what your "time" is. 

• LeGa27 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    10. Jun 1, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to Guest )

Great course!  Was disappointed in the finish line being so far from the start. Having to walk back almost 2 miles was a disappointment. Thanks to all the volunteers for being out there on a hot and humid morning!

• Debbie Kimbriel Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    11. Jun 1, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to Guest )

It would be good to honor that big team with the yellow shirts.  Maybe prizes for largest team and other similar awards to honor those who are connected to the cause.  Maybe fastest fireman and of course, there should be an award for the last walker since they work the hardest.  It is a good course and a fun race.

• Pineconep Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 25, 2009
    12. Jun 1, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to Guest )

I concur that the water station was WAY too early! It needed to be halfway or more into the race. Also, whomever organized the bus deal is not a runner. No one wants to sit on a bus for 20 minutes waiting for the other bus to return so we can go back to the finish line.

Jul 12, 2007
    13. Jun 1, 2010 9:56 AM (in response to Pineconep)

A volunteer and I talked to the bus director. His explanation for the bus waiting, "to prevent chaos and people rushing the bus".

I told him I haven't seen any such confusion and rushing. People there were all polite, tired, happy and deferring a seat for someone else.

We explained to him that people were frustrated with the long wait, I told him I literally could've run the 2 1/2 miles back before boarding a ride, I know I was doing the math.

Other than that and the lady who's time was not recorded and insisted she won an award, it is for a tremendous cause.

• TX8405 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2010
    14. Jun 1, 2010 7:20 PM (in response to Guest )

I love that so many people showed up for a good cause.  Thanks to the families who helped, and the course was great...just that nice humid tx weather in the morning 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...