Skip navigation

5438 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2011 8:01 PM by sanseed RSS
Stormysilver Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2010 11:50 AM

Falling asleep after a walk/run?

Here's the low down.... I have completed the first month of walking, I felt good so I started the walk/run a week early. Been doing great so far and I am totally stoked about it! My question is when I am finished with my walk/run I get right in the shower and then sit down to relax for a bit. I fall asleep so hard and so fast and wake up any where from 20-40 mins later... LOL Not sure why but I have never had this happen before, so I am puzzled. Thought I was supposed to have an energy burst surge through me after I was finished not pass out! LOL. Just curious as to why this is happening?

• vinrunner Rookie 3 posts since
    May 4, 2010
    1. May 9, 2010 2:04 PM (in response to Stormysilver)
    Re: Falling asleep after a walk/run?

This happens to me from time to time!!  For me it just depends on the type of workout.  If I go on a long run I may "pass out" for a little while afterwards, especially if I am working on increasing my mileage.  I wouldn't let it worry you, at least you know that you are getting a good workout in if you want to sleep a little--overall it will make you have more energy in your life.  Even if you require a little nap--just make sure it is a little nap and don't sleep too much or you may feel drained the rest of the day.  Make sure you are getting lots of electrolytes and water before & after you workout--could be good to have a protein drink after a hard run.  Good luck!

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    2. May 29, 2010 8:48 PM (in response to Stormysilver)

Like Vinrunner said, I wouldn't let it worry you too much.  I often need a short nap to recover after my longer adventures.  After a good hard 10k I must take a rest before the long drive home.  I really think that, at least for me, I need a bit more protein in my diet.

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    3. May 30, 2010 4:23 AM (in response to Stormysilver)

Yesterday, I had two days.....took a nap after a 5k and a shower and the dog woke me up at 5 to eat. Thinking it was 5am, I went through the routine and things started to look funny and then the radio gave it away. So today another 5k after a day off....OMG     Short answer...Pollen

• susan-n-the black dog Legend 425 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    5. May 30, 2010 3:06 PM (in response to Stormysilver)

Stormy I was thinking about this thread while out for the long walk with the spouse this week.  We went out for a 6 mile run/walk.  Came home and took a 2 hour nap.  LOL

Susan in CA
    Brazen Racing Bear Creek 10k Aug 09
    Brazen Racing Rocky Ridge 10k Oct 09
    Brazen's Turkey Trot 10k Nov 09
    Walked the Golden Gate Bridge - too cool!

Monterey Big Sur Internationl Half Marathon.(10mile walk)

Brazen's New Years 10k Jan 10

Brazen's Bear Creek 10k MUD FEST Jan 10

Finally, back out on the trails!

Blossom Trail 10k March 2011

Miracle Miles for Kids - May 2011

Brian Waterbury Memorial Rock to the Pier 10k - July 2011 Happy Birthday to me!

So many miles...so little time...

I did it - I signed up for Big Sur - April 2012

Unless you faint, puke or die...keep walking - Jillian Michaels

I can't come in last because I am ahead of those who didn't start!

• vinrunner Rookie 3 posts since
    May 4, 2010
    7. Jun 2, 2010 8:58 AM (in response to Stormysilver)

Stormy,

If you are concerned about your amount of protein or anything else...here's a good website to use where you can track what you eat: www.sparkpeople.com  It can track Calories, fat, carbs, protein, and much more...it can be a little bit of work at first when you start tracking your foods, but I just started using it and it has already helped me see where I need to eat less or more.  Good luck with the Couch to 5k program!!

• Amanda Perez-Carroll Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 13, 2009
    8. Jun 12, 2010 6:42 PM (in response to Stormysilver)

This has happened to me as well, especially after really long walks. I found though that after about a month of maintaining a distance I have been able to keep awake afterwards.

Amanda

Member of the 2010 GOsmart Team

• CristinaGwynn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    9. Jun 16, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to Stormysilver)

You said you were overweight in the past -and learning to eat for an "athlete's needs" is different than the average person.  I love sparkpeople.com too -and make sure you check with your doc.  I was SIGNIFICANTLY overweight when I started my walking program and a type 2 diabetic with four shots a day of insulin.  When you start adjusting the demands on your body, food adjustments have to be made too...

Did you tweak your protein and see if it helps?  Blood sugar may also be a factor...

I am so proud of you for working through this!  Some people would have given up.  Good luck!  And keep going!

Cris

2010 TeamGOSmart Ambassador

• sanseed Rookie 3 posts since
    May 30, 2011
    10. Jun 1, 2011 8:01 PM (in response to Stormysilver)

Yoga is a good choice for it! you can try it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points