Skip navigation

2385 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2012 6:08 AM by Randybball
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 16, 2010 6:57 AM

7 Basketball Rules Myths Reviews

Share your comments on 7 Basketball Rules Myths below back to the article page.

• ElRim Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 16, 2010
    1. Mar 16, 2010 6:57 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 7 Basketball Rules Myths Reviews

My two cents. Theoretically this is all correct and I couldn't agree more that if you have refs who are "consistent from the opening tip to the final buzzer" you will have nothing to complain about either as a player or a parent or a fan or a coach.  In my 10  years being involved with this sport with my two kids and my daughter now in playing in college I can say that we do not live at Walgreens.  Hence nothing is perfect.

I don't want to bring up a perfect example but Baylor vs Texas Tech Girls game about three weeks ago. In the video where Barncastle throws BG to the ground the ref under the basket does not move till BG takes out her aggression. I didn't see the entire game but taking with folks from both sides it was clearly a very poorly called game in favor of Texas Tech.

I personally feel that refs should be accountable at all levels of the game. From Jr High to NBA.  Refs should be appraised by both coaches and one player from each bench.  This information should be placed in a data base to provide a measure of success.  Poorly ranked refs should not be allowed to officiate games till they have under gone more training either about the game or sensitivity to learn objectivity.

The refs during the game between these two teams were clearly trying to do everything they could to give Texas Tech the edge.

I've got other examples but don't want to dwell on this. Assuming that we live at Walgreens only makes things look pretty. Let's do something about making officials accountable and more consistent.

• drsyn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 3, 2010
    2. Jun 3, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to Guest )

I think the above user has a warped perspective of officiating in general.  Now I can say that I have coached at every level from youth, high school, college and yes professionally.  I have also refereed at every level except professionally as well as being an assigner and coordinator of officials. 

I can say without hesitation that his idea of evaluation by both coaches and a player is totally off base and just short of crazy.  Experience tells me very rarely do college and high school coaches ever complete appraisal cards when given a chance and when they do typically is is from the losing coach.  The only information that a coach should be able to evaluate is the officials ability to communicate effectively with both players and coaches.  If evaluation and accountability is what is wanted, then have game officials evaluated on a game by game basis by other officials. this is what happens on virtually every NCAA Div ! or NBA game.  People need to realize that only at those levels do the officials act as more of a profession rather than an advocations.  AT NO TIME SHOULD PLAYERS OR LOWER LEVEL COACHES BE ALLOWED TO DIRECTLY EVALUATE AND IMPACT THE officials.  These individuals lack the experience and overall knowledge to fairly and accurately evaluate officials and often comment based on emotion rather than fact.

People should understand that for many officials that the high school and lower level games work because they love the game and do so to often times give back to the game.  Officials need to remember that all coaches want is someone who hustles to get in position to make the calls, and are able to efectively communicate to them and their players. 

Most lower level coaches and parents only see part of the play, officials must proces a large amount of information in a short amount of time.  Many times an official will let a small bump go, early in a play only to have the player with the ball lose their balance and may shuffle their feet.  Do you call the travel, when you past on the bump that probably caused the shuffle.  NO.  I know of no official that walks on the floor with the intent to miss calls, we all make mistakes, get "straightlined" or happen to be looking in the wrong direction when something happens.  Is there a human element in offiating, yes,

If you want better officials make the pay better so that they can work the games as a profession provide impartial evaluators to help officials learn and grow.  Until you have put on the stripes and been in the war, remember I don't tell you how to coach, or play don't tell us how to officiate.

• J2Carter Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    3. Aug 26, 2010 11:30 AM (in response to Guest )

To - drsyn ,  from one Official  ( N.Y. ) to another :  Thank You.

• umpref19 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 1, 2011
    4. Aug 4, 2011 11:29 AM (in response to Guest )

Here is question for anyone who can answer it for me... player is taking the ball out of bounds. The player dribbles the ball on his left side out of bounds before he passes the ball into his team. IS THIS A VIOLATION?

• Randybball Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 22, 2012
    5. Feb 22, 2012 6:08 AM (in response to Guest )

I ahve a couple questions myself. I have for years since I played back in the days I'll say that the hand is part of the ball when holding it thus if you hit an opponents hand that is holding the ball it is not a foul but cant find it any where in the rules.

Also if an offensive player is chasing a loose ball and as he bends over to pick it up accidently kicks the ball is it a kick ball?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...