Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

840031 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 315 Previous Next
  • lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

I went to the gym and used the treadmill to do my run today.  I had a hard time though and my legs were hurting.  Could be because of a hike I did yesterday.  It turned out to be only a 3 mile hike because it started raining.  The rain didn't bother me that much but the thunder with the potential for lightening strikes does bother me.  But it was a lot of uphill until I turned around yesterday.  Anyway, I did stay on the treadmill for 45 minutes and got a little over 3.1 miles done but I did have to walk a few times.  I walked a few minutes at the beginning to warm up, and then took 2 other 2 minutes breaks and a 1 1/2 minute break so I got quite a bit of runnning in.  I think it's partly the weather, because temps shot up suddenly the last week and I get more tired in hot weather every year.  Even though I was in the gym with the fan blowing on me I think the weather overall effects me.  But I'm going to keep doing the best I can and press through it.  Last summer I was hardly moving until very late summer when we were in our monsoon season.  Then I wasn't doing a lot.  Built up my exercise over time and lost 65 lbs and got to where I am now instead of a 225 lb couch potato like this time a year ago.  So even if I have to take some short breaks I've still come so far.  Writing this I realize why do I feel discouraged that I couldn't make 30 minutes straight running.  I did pretty darn good compared to where I've come from.  So writing this has been therapeutic for me although I didn't set out for that to happen.  Surprise surprise.

So, onward and forward and will try my next run on Wednesday, then not run again until Saturday when I have a 5k race.  And I won't do any hiking on Thursday or Friday either LOL.  Just some water exercises I do on those 2 days.

Hope everyone has a good run whatever day you do it on.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

I finished C25K last November and have run about 7 5Ks and my first 10K a couple of weeks ago.  Its been going well, except for recovery.  Lately it is taking longer to bounce back after a major effort.  Two weeks ago I ran my first 10K without any problem.  I ran OK the next week, and went hiking on the weekend.  I haven't recovered yet.  I had to walk part of my 5K on Saturday which I haven't had to do since October.  How do you know when to take another rest day or not?  It makes me wonder if I will always be limited to 3 runs a week on a good week.

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

• mamabear27 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

I started the C25K in April and ran my first 5k Memorial Day. It was thrilling and I was slow but I finished!  However I jammed my toe which is now a lovely shade of black and I have not been training since.I want to keep running but it is now in the 90's and getting hotter. My problem is I can run a lot longer on my treadmill than outside...

I want to do more races but here in So Florida it won't cool off until December if we are lucky. Advice?

• Bill80027 Pro 68 posts since
    Apr 14, 2009

I think thats what I am learning.  I think I was undertraining and as I was able to keep building my mileage I found my limit by hitting the wall.  Perhaps I forgot I am 56 not 26!  I am taking my second day of rest today and will resume running tomorrow and get back on the 3X a week while I am on vacation.  I have a 5K on July 4th and a 10K on July 11th.  Hopefully by then all will be back in sync.

Graduated C25K 10/11/09 with Mountain House 5K 33:25

Personal Bests:

Mountain House 5K 10/23/10  24:45

Nitro Turkey Trot 10K 11/25/10 55:32

San Jose Rock N Roll Half Marathon10/1/10 2:08:49

California International Marathon 12/5/10 4:51:42

Apr 11, 2010

Mamabear27 I have a toe that was a lovely shade of black for a few months but now is fading and not normal but looking better.  I read an article a month ago or so about that being common in runners.  I guess it's our badge LOL!

It's too hot where I'm at too, although not as humid as Floriday.  I've had to move into the treadmill for most days because temps shot up suddenly.  2 weeks ago we had highs in the upper 70's to low 80's and now we're close to 100.  That's New Mexico weather for you.  No gentle season changes.  The treadmill may be easier but it will still help keep you running.  Have you tried adding incline when on the treadmill to make it more difficult?

Glad to see so much activity on the thread!  Getting ready for work now.  Have a good day!

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

• mamabear27 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Thanks for the advice and support. I have been "hovering" around this site reading and enjoying hearing what others have to say and now that I have a little free time I am finally responding.

I finally ran today on my treadmill...first time since the race Memorial Day. My toe hurt a little but I guess I'll just have to face the fact that I'm going to lose the nail. It's more about vanity than pain that kept me from running. I wear sandals almost all the time and black toes are just not attractive :-/

As far as running I was surprised how well I did after not running for a week. I do up the incline on my treadmill 1% (or is it 10 %) but it did not seem to help me when I ran the race. I can run much longer on the treadmill than outside as I did both for training. However unless I run before the sun comes up it is too bloody hot and just getting hotter. There is another 5K at the end of this month that I would like to do just to keep the motivation but the heat or rather the humidity is a factor. I don't mind sweating but it just zaps me.

I am hoping to go get "professionally" fitted for shoes as I was told this plays an important role in running. What are others thoughts on that?

Thanks~~~~

Apr 11, 2010

Mamabear27 - I didn't lose my toenail that turned black.  It's turning lighter now although it was pretty dark for a couple of months.  Still kind of dark but not like it was.  How about painting all your toenails black?  You'd be in style! LOL.  Then no one would notice in your sandals.  Or maybe some other color.  Anyway, you may not lose the toenail.

• grandrun Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

It is great to see that there are other women over 50 and taking on running.  I started running last year-with a serious attitude and need to lose 20 pounds.  I am loving it!  I ran my second 1/2 marathon this past weekend in Ohio and can say it is doable-keep working on form and distance.  I didn't worry so much about speed but found it just came as I worked on distance.  One big lesson that I have learned is hydration, hydration, hydration.  I always underestimate how fluid you really need.  I am going to enjoy reading about everyone's progress and hear about suggestions that people have for the over 50 female runner.  The best thing is if you do run a 1/2 marathon-there are very few women and you can place for our age group.  Loved saying I came in second but then I had to follow up with, "In my age group!"  Still didn't burst my bubble.

• grandrun Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 8, 2010

Totally go to someone or store that knows what they are doing when fitting running shoes.  I learned the hard way that the correct fitting shoe is so important.  A professional place will look at your foot position (to see if you pronate-turn in) or out and suggest shoes to correct your foot positioning.  Now that I have a clearer understanding of what my foot needs-I go to a regular sporting goods store and pick out my own shoe.  Always go a half size larger-especially if you are running in the heat-your swell and you need more room.  I didn't realize that and was having problems with the pads of my feet-once I went to the larger size-problem pretty much gone.  You need so little equipment for running that's it's the one good investment.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...