Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7442 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2010 10:45 AM by BOSNPM RSS 1 2 Previous Next
jupiter4dogs Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 6, 2010 4:01 PM

Running in the heat

I live in South Fl and have been running 35 to 45 miles/week in order to maintain somewhat conditioned for marathoning. It's now summer weather and even if I get up and out before the sun comes up (6AM), I still find myself running about 10% -20% slower than normal and cannot even finish my usual 7 to 9 mile run. My last few runs, I ended up walking the last couple of miles. Any advice?

• Pegster352 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    1. Jun 6, 2010 6:59 PM (in response to jupiter4dogs)
    Re: Running in the heat

Hey Jupiter,

I feel your pain. I'm also in So. Fla. I have tried to go run early in the morning the past few weeks (5, 5:30) and the humidity was brutal. I ran yesterday at just before sundown and there was at least a slight breeze. I struggled to finish my semi-hilly 3.5 miles. I have a treadmill but I hate to feel defeated and have to run inside. I run through the neighbors sprinklers sometimes to cool down. Good luck to you and drink lots of fluids!!

Keep on keeping on!!

;-)

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    2. Jun 7, 2010 5:16 AM (in response to Pegster352)

Unfortunately, it seems like there's not much more you can do.  Perhaps try running at night.  Or you can run on a treadmill inside (although running on a treadmill for so long can be just as brutal as running in the heat!).  But the good news is, just like everything else, your body will get somewhat accustomed to running in the heat.  Good luck.

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• 4KidsL8R Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    3. Jun 8, 2010 12:55 PM (in response to jupiter4dogs)

I live by Tampa, and it's just as hot here.  I like to run in the evenings.  I start at around 7:30ish and run until it's dark.  I stop at a convenience store 3 1/2 miles into my run and grab a handful of ice cubes which I keep in the wash cloth I run with to wipe my sweaty face!  Then I eat ice cubes for the next couple of miles.  I can usually finish 8 miles that way.  The ice cubes have been getting me through the high humidity! But I am also MUCH slower these days then during the cooler weather.

Jan 11, 2010
    4. Jun 8, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to 4KidsL8R)

4KIDSL8R-- Thats a great idea! Great job on the 8 miles. Farthest I've gone so far was 7 but I will be going farther for my next training schedule. I have the hydration belt but I just fill one of the little bottles and bring it with me for the longer runs. I don't know how close you are but a few of us are running 5k in New Port Richey for the RAP house this Saturday. Wooot wooot !! :-)

Keep on Keepin on!!

Peg

• 4KidsL8R Amateur 10 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    5. Jun 9, 2010 3:53 AM (in response to Pegster352)

Pegster - Good luck in your 5K this Saturday - what's the RAP house?  Great job on the 7 miles.  My next race will be the Midnight Run in Dunedin on July 4th.  The race starts at midnight!!  I'm going to do the 10K (my first 10K race).  Should be fun and since it's run at night I am hoping it will be slightly cooler than a morning run.

Haven't tried the hydration belt.  Is it hot to wear? How much water does it hold?

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    6. Jun 9, 2010 4:05 AM (in response to jupiter4dogs)

When you're running in high heat and humidity, it will affect your pace and how you feel.  Unfortunately there's no way around it.  A few tips to help make it bearable:

• run through as many sprinklers as you can.
    • stay in the shade - if possible, run trails
    • stop at water fountains or bring a cold bottle with you (it's annoying, I know...)
    • wear a light hat to avoid getting too much sun exposure on your head
    • avoid cotton clothes - they get soaked with sweat and weight you down
    • take a few swigs of ice water before you head out - but don't overdo it or you risk a stitch
    • be patient - you'll slowly acclimative to the heat and humidity so it won't be as bad

Keep in mind that the more fit you are, the more efficient you'll be in the heat.  But you may have to slow down or run a little less if you're not good at managing summer's heat.  Good luck, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • Ran-um Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 24, 2009
    7. Jun 9, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to JasonFitz1)

Same thing here, I live in Orlando and have had to start running at 8:00-9:00pm to get the miles in. I tried to go at 7:00am and it is so hot and humid I feel like I slow to a snails pace. One of my friends who is a runner told me to wet a headband, wring it out well and freeze it. Before you go for the run put it on and it is suppose to help keep you cool. Haven't tried it yet but it sounds good.

Warm Regards,

Christine

Running is my Prozac

Jan 11, 2010
    8. Jun 9, 2010 5:50 PM (in response to 4KidsL8R)

That sounds like fun. A midnight run. Perfect for this weather. I will definately consider that. The RAP house is a center for runaway teens/ kids.

I haven't worn the hydration belt yet.It was a gift. I feel like a dork wearing it for under an hour run but now that its blazing hot out, I will reconsider that!!

Good luck in your run!!

Peg

• pinkerbell Pro 64 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    9. Jun 9, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to jupiter4dogs)

I also feel a bit silly wearing the hydration belt out for a less than an hour run, but then again, the people I'm running past don't know how long I'm running for.  For all they know I'm going for 3 hours!  (I'm not).

They do sell these handheld waterbottle straps:  http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Quickdraw-Handheld-22-Ounce-Carrier/dp/B000NHLHU2 

I've been meaning to pick one up, I think they're great so that you can keep your hand still slightly relaxed, plus the zip up pouch for keys or whatever.

Ice cubes on the run sounds like a great idea too, thanks for sharing that!

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Jun 9, 2010 7:50 PM (in response to pinkerbell)

Pinkerbell – I just bought one of those Nathan Quickdraw Elites and have used it a couple of times now.  I like it but I have two caveats.  First it makes it a little harder to use your watch/gps/phone, obviously because one of your hands is full.  But it’s not that bad.

Second, there is a hole that is designed for your thumb to go through that I find very snug, and for a guy I have small hands.  If I use that slot for my thumb, I can hold the bottle with my hand completely relaxed and I did not notice it affecting the swing of my arm at all.  But towards the end of an 8 mile run my thumb started to get numb.  Much longer than that and I would probably have to switch hands periodically.  You can adjust the strap around the back of your hand, but not the slot for your thumb, at least not that I can figure out.  You can adjust your hand position so that your thumb is outside that strap, but then your grip on the bottle is not quite as secure and holding the bottle was much more noticeable.  It’s just not as relaxed of a position.

Overall I like it a lot and will continue to use it, but someone with large hands (or just fat thumbs) may not find it comfortable. Not that I’m implying you have big hands.   I just thought you might like some feedback about it.

bob

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• pinkerbell Pro 64 posts since
    Sep 15, 2009
    11. Jun 10, 2010 6:00 PM (in response to rbird)

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure how big my thumbs are, lol!  I know of a store in town that carries it, so I'll just have to go in & see how it feels.  I know there's other varieties out there too.

• dubiousrunner Amateur 25 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    12. Jun 14, 2010 12:00 PM (in response to jupiter4dogs)

I live in Houston and the humidity is just about the same as in Florida, I would imagine.  I'm only able to run in the early AM, as well, and most times the humidity, even at 5:45 AM is a killer.  I'm definitely not motivated to run inside on a treadmill, either.

My spinning coach suggested getting one of those neckerchiefs that have some type of granule sewn into it and when wet, swells up into a gel-like substance.  If you put it into the refrigerator and just before running, tie it around your neck, he said that it is amazing how cool it will keep a runner and biker.  I'll have to check out our local sports equipment store to see if I can get a couple of those for myself.  I know that they are sold online, as well but I don't know what they would be called.

Candy

5K Races:

Earth Day 5K - Houston - 4/3/10 (39.07)

Yuri's Night 5K Fun Run - 4/10/10 (36.50)

• AndreaS. Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 31, 2010
    13. Jun 15, 2010 7:23 AM (in response to jupiter4dogs)

well I'm in Arizona when it's 80 degrees at 2 am, 77 at 5am and that's your window, 5-6am is the coolest part of the day! I have a treadmill and know I can use it, but the feel of the road is something I actually crave! So I have no encouragement other than to say You are all awesome to keep the dedication up! I'm a new runner, will run my first 1/2 Marathon as soon as it cools down then onto a full. Love reading these threads--Run well!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    14. Jun 15, 2010 10:06 AM (in response to jupiter4dogs)

I'm in Georgia and ran the last two days with the heat index in the mid-90's.  I run slower, take breaks, and keep hydrated.  I also run on a shady trail which may cut off a few crucial degrees although it does nothing for humidity.

Even so - I was thinking about this after my run today -  I still prefer summer over any other season.  Yes its hot and sticky here in the South and runs are more challenging, but I HATE WINTER!  Hate it with a passion.  Not so much because its cold (it doesn't get much below freezing here) but because the days are short and it is so dark.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this time of year when it is light until 9:00.  Last night I was running as the sun set at 9:00.  Gotta love that even with the heat.  I am definitely a "Sunshine Girl"!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...