Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2614 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2010 6:17 PM by looseandfloppy RSS
looseandfloppy Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 11, 2010 4:22 PM

C2-5K week 1 - Shoe recommendations for female supinator?

After a little research, I think I should rephrase my post:

I do not have high-arched feet, but a quick examination of my walking shoes would suggest that I am quite the supinator.  The outer edges of all of them are worn down.  As such, I may have the wrong shoes.  Any recommendations for a noob?

==================

I bought a cheap ($50) pair of Saucony sneakers just to see if I could handle running.

My first day (Tuesday) was fine, my shoes felt comfy right out of the box, and although I felt some soreness over the next 2 days (the good kind), I was raring to go for my next run.  Well, that happened today.  And today was not so good.

On my walk to the running path, my right calf started cramping up even though I had stretched well.  I also started noticing that the sole of my right foot seemed to be sliding inward toward the left wall of the shoe and flattening it.

When I got to the track, I retied my laces, stretched again and hoped for the best.  My first 10 minutes were OK, but the last 10 were gimpy, hobbly and crampy.  It's almost as if the shoe has too much lift on the outer edge and sends my sole sliding toward the middle.  The result is that the right side and back of my right calf feel compressed, and they cramp up from below the knee down to the ankle.  This only happens on the right side.

I am not overweight and have never suffered foot/leg pain in my life (I walk constantly), so this is completely new to me.  Of all the things I anticipated hurting (back, knees, etc) this was the last thing on my mind.  Would arch support insoles help?  Do I just have a crappy pair of shoes?  Indeed, when you look down at the tops of both shoes--even when I'm not  wearing them--the right sole seems to jut out a little further on the  outside than the left sole.  This after only 2 runs.  If I shop for better shoes, what should I look for?

Message was edited by: looseandfloppy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points