Skip navigation

2583 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2010 6:47 AM by jordansr1 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 13, 2010 11:42 AM

Teton Dam Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Teton Dam Marathon below Back to event details page.

• DPCMarion Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 13, 2009
    1. Jun 13, 2010 11:42 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Teton Dam Marathon Reviews

This event has a lot of volunteers.  There were volunteers at every intersection along the Full Marathon Course.  There is a LONG slow climb from Mile 18-22.  It is a gavel/dirt road miles 3-9.  They advertised sports drink at every station,  there was only water at every other one, but there were plenty of stations.  The start was scenic, overlooking what is left of the dam from 1976.  Loved the Flag lined streets in Sugar City.  I think they could have had a race morning packet pickup for late out of towners with the number of volunteers the had.

They chip timed, but there is no back up plan if the chip failed.  They did not pull tags at the finish so you have no recourse if your chip didn't read.  Pulling tags may be considered "old fashioned" but systems do fail and I would hate to have to tell everyone, sorry, no times.

All finishers got identical finishing medals (nothing special for the full marathon finishers and the 10K people got a medal stating marathon on it)  Shirts state all events.  No "Marathon Finisher" labeled shirts.

The awards were generic.  All awarded recepiants received identical "Teton Dam Marathon" awards, no distinction on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.  Overall winners received the same award as age group winners.

I think too much money was spent on the "Teton Dam Race Information Program Guide" (a simple paper would do).   Could have been spent on better separate finishing medals for each event and distictive awards for the winners.

Very well organized.  Lots of volunteers and aid stations.  Great running with the half marathon people in the 2nd half of the course.  Timing company is one of the best in the field. 

I think this is a good run.  I do not like that long hill late in the course, but I do see myself coming back to this one again.

• CAFielding Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 6, 2010
    2. Jun 13, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to Guest )

I ran the half marathon and had a great time!  The volunteers were wonderful!  However, I was disappointed that there weren't Hammer Gels at ANY of the aid stations like promised.  (One station didn't even have water to offer as they had run completely out of cups.)  I am not sure who is to blame for the gel mess up, but I think an announcement should have been made about the lack of gels, I would have grabbed a couple of packets from my car.  Other than that, I had so much fun!  I will definitely run it again!

• Runningis4Fun Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    3. Jun 13, 2010 4:52 PM (in response to Guest )

This is a fantastic race.  Well organized, well managed, well supported, and an event for ALL runners.  Having run many "ELITE" events I was really please to see that there was a fantastic effort to meet, greet, and take care of all the runners.  Personally I was happy to share the medal with everyone else who competed and it was great that they took more effort to make it an event for everyone rather that follow the narrow-minded view of singling out the few.

The Official Program was a real touch of class.  They were helpful to most everyone and certainly were of more value that the few dollars that would have made the fastest runners feel more special.

In years passed I have run to win, I now look for great events that acknowledge the accomplishment of everyone regardless of ability.  This race was the best I have been to for that.

• jenhirr Legend 314 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Jun 13, 2010 6:33 PM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed this race.  As a local, I have the opportunity to train on this course often as well as watch the race grow and improve every year.  The new course change is good and I believe it is do-able for a Boston Qualifier.  I thought there was a good energy from everyone and the volunteers were great.  I, personally, felt like I got everything I needed on the course, before the race, and post-race.

The race directors and volunteers were also very open to suggestions and comments and I believe any issues will be resolved in the future. 

Thanks!  It was great.

• ryusei Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    5. Jun 13, 2010 7:18 PM (in response to Guest )

NOTE: This review is for the 10K

OVERALL: Fun race.  I really enjoyed it.

COURSE: Before running it, I was critical that the first half was all uphill and the second half was all downhill.  However, as I was running it, I liked the push at mile 2 and 3 when you still had a good amount of energy left.  Then, cruising down the last 3 miles just seemed easy.  And the scenery was relaxing and enjoyable.

SUPPORT:  A lot of cheerful volunteers.  However, only one water stop at the halfway point.  I think 10Ks should usually have more than that.

FESTIVITIES: It's exciting that they run a 5K, 10K, half, and marathon together.  However, the shorter races definitely get overshadowed.  I was excited to come in 3rd place overall and while honestly was expecting a $5 Jamba Juice GC at most and a certificate at the least.  But nothing for the 5K and 10K top 3 finishers.  I know, that's kind of prideful but what can I say.

• ahanse1979 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 26, 2008
    6. Jun 14, 2010 7:04 AM (in response to Guest )

I have ran this race for the last three years and have really enjoyed it but for some reason this year they decided not to include the 5k and 10k participants in the awards ceramony let alone recognize them. One of the sponsors (great harvest) refused to give any slices of bread to the 5k and 10k runners and for that reason i will never buy from them again. This will be the last year i run in this race.

• rookierunner31 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    7. Jun 14, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to Guest )

I ran the 10K, and really enjoyed it!  This was my first race ever, so I was pretty nervous about the uphill part of the race, but it wasn't that bad, and I loved the downhill finish.  Overall, it was a comfortable race, and I think all the volunteers cheering you on was very nice!  I wasn't running for a specific time, (my goal was to finish) so I wasn't expecting anything at the end other than satisfaction. I love my medal, but I do agree that there should be separate, specific medals handed out for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places.  Also, I know that 5k and 10k are small races compared to a half and full marathon, but to the people who run them, they can be a big deal.  I accomplished something I never thought I ever would...I FINISHED a 10K!  After reading some previous comments, I was kinda disappointed that the overall runners in the 5k and 10k didn't get recognized.  I really think they should be included in the awards ceremony, too.  Satisfaction is always nice, but to come in the top 3 in ANY race should get special recognition. 

I definitely plan on coming back next year--this time with a time to beat!  Thanks!

• jdp44 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    8. Jun 15, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 5th year running in the Dam Marathon and it was unfortunate to see how disorganized and unprepared they seemed to be.  At packet pickup I was given the shirt for the 5k/10k races and was told that was what they had, sorry.  My packet also did not include any of the goodies this race has been known for,  nor did it contain any of the items my friends who ran recieved in theirs.  Water/ Aid stations seemed fine but their did not seem to be as many volunteers which was to bad.  My recomendation to others is never rely on aid stations to have what you need, carry it with you.  One other problem coming in was the stroller/ walking 5k participants as their were to many of them and they did not seem to care that runners from the other races where trying to navigate through them.  In some places they were to spread out across the road.  I did enjoy the new course and like the hometown race, but may take a pass on running it next year for a new event somewhere else.

• funatrunning Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    9. Jun 15, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first experience running a half marathon and I absolutely loved it. I loved the challenge of the hills and the rush of the downhill at the end. I loved my medal, the shirt, all the wonderful volunteers, and the feel of the atmosphere. The only negative thing I have to say is that there were NO hammer gels as advertised. I was counting on these at mile 7 and 11 as was promised. I was at the information meeting during the potato bake and never received information that there would be no gels. The only thing I would change for next year is to provide the gels that were promised. Other than the lack of gels this race was completely awesome and I can't wait to do it again next year. Thanks to all the wonderful volunteers and organizers.

• lovetorun17 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 17, 2009
    10. Jun 16, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to Guest )

I liked the half marathon course. The mile markers were large and easy to spot. Plenty of water stations. The volunteers were great!

There were several complaints I had, though. First, the age division awards. I'm not even sure what these yellow metal things were supposed to be, and no one else seemed to know either. I thought it would have been nice to get a small gift card from a sponsor, or a distinguished award for placing (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) on it, for example.

Second, in the race guide, the raffle was announced, and it said you must be present to win, but it seemed that it was forgotten about. After the age group awards were finished, the announcer said thanks to the sponsors, and was concluding the event. When several runners asked about the raffle, he was on the phone trying to figure out what to do. Finally, someone came up with a box of stuff to give out and a bike. The announcer apologized that the box of raffle numbers was missing, so he attempted to do the raffle another way. One prize went to the person with sunglasses on their head, one to the person holding the most bananas. It appeared that some winners of the raffle didn't even run in the race!

The race itself was great, but the awards ceremony and raffle were far below expectations.

• lesliemaeofthetetons Rookie 2 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    11. Jun 19, 2010 2:43 PM (in response to Guest )

I was actually disappointed in this one; surprisingly so. Aid stations were said to have Hammer Gel available, there was none. Luckily I was prepared with my own but I know of other runners who were counting on it {never count on it, BUT if they said they would have it, they should have}. The didn't give medals to the top 5K {or 10K I believe}, yet they did last year. The raffle and giveaways were a let down as well compared to last year. Last year they were throwing shirts into the crowd and had a lot to give away. This year was pretty pathetic in comparison.  Oh, and of the 7 marathoners in my group, 4 of us had problems with our times!!! 

Other than THOSE issues, I really did enjoy the run. But it was more of a sentimental/personal experience for me and had little to do with the organization and prizes or what have you.

• Dani Harris Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    12. Jun 21, 2010 3:37 PM (in response to Guest )

I had similar frustrations with the hammer gel. 13 miles is a long way to go without hammer gel or something in its place. I hope the full marathoners had something.  I think if it was going to not be available that it should have been made very clear to all racers so we could prepare. 

The course however was improved.  Breaking up the down a little was great for me and the early course change was nice too. 

• KatieLady079 Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 20, 2007
    13. Jun 27, 2010 6:55 AM (in response to Guest )

I heard about the gel problem and can sympathize. I've been there, done that and since have just brought my own, ALWAYS.  Mistakes happen. 

The support along the course was STELLAR!  Amazing turnout of volunteers.  Their energy was much appreciated.

Post event was pretty sad.  It is often the part of the event I enjoy almost as much as the run so I was disappointed when I saw what little there was to offer in the way of post event refueling, activities and awards.  Most people waited for the awards for hours, expecting the shirt throwing, prize drawing fun from previous years. 

To me the draw for this race isn't really the course, but the atmosphere/local people/fun energy.  Boston qualifying certified course would be great, but not much of a draw if there isn't more fun!  There are qualifying races close by that go the extra mile so that the event isn't just OK, but awesome.  Those are the ones that have return participants.  I realize times are tight, but charge an extra $1 per runner and let the 5 and 10 k-ers have some bread!

• Lisal Drollinger Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    14. Jul 28, 2010 12:20 PM (in response to Guest )

I am very disappointed in the administration/organization of the Teton Dam races this year, despite the fact that this appears to be the first year you hired a professional to organize the race for you.  I believe the city of Rexburg staff/crew did a much better job and put on a better race in years past. 

I was very disappointed in the fact that this is the first year you decided you could not give any money to charity.  I believe that supporting a charity promotes interest in the race and gives people a better reason to run.  I believe you had less overall runners than you would have, had you had the heart to run for a cause.  I believe this hurt your all important bottom line in the long run.

I was disappointed that you had no acknowledgement/medals for the 5K and 10K races.

I was disappointed in the aid stations, many of them near the end of my marathon had no sports drink, only water. 

I was disappointed in the food offerings when I finished the race.  There was minimal offerings with a slice of bread or piece of fruit, nothing extra at all. 

Based on this year's experience I don't believe I would recommend this race to anyone.  In 2008 and 2009 when I ran this race, I did recommend it to others, I was disappointed to see it slide down hill this year.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...