Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5945 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2010 8:21 AM by Ali-Gator RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Rich Tuttle Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 26, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 11, 2010 8:45 PM (in response to Urbster)
    Re: 5k Water Stops

S1K3 has it right. Furthermore, if you're really greedy about not wasting even one precious second in pursuit of a PR, don't even turn your head to look at the water stop.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    16. Jun 14, 2010 5:15 AM (in response to Urbster)

Stopping for water during a 5k?  C'mon, now!  There's no need to stop for water during any race that lasts less than an hour.  I might consider stopping for gatorade/fuel (but not water) during a half-marathon, but I haven't yet in the two that I've competed in.  You should be well hydrated at the start and unless you race for longer than an hour (or maybe 45 minutes if it's very hot), you don't need water.  If your urine is very pale yellow/clear before the start then you are hydrated and ready to roll.

Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • Ali-Gator Expert 43 posts since
    Jan 2, 2010
    17. Jun 14, 2010 8:21 AM (in response to Urbster)

I didn't stop for water in the first couple of 5Ks that I ran.  I was too concerned about meeting my target time.  On my most recent, I was well-ahead of my target, so I figured, why not?  I ended up getting a cramp in my side almost immediately after, and found it difficult to get back to my pre-stop pace.  I think they should have water available, but unless you feel like you absolutely NEED it (or as others said, you are running at a 30+ minute pace), I'd skip it and just keep running.

3/7/10: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K  --  28:53

3/27/10:  March for Misty 5k Fun Run  -- 28:47

5/1/10: Fiesta of Five Flags 10k -- 1:01:46

6/5/10:  Billy Bowlegs Night 5k --  27:18

10/2/10: Epcot Wine & Dine Half Marathon  -- 2:20:53

Follow my training blog:  http://alisonisrunningfromthelaw.blogspot.com/

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points