Skip navigation

7510 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2010 12:29 PM by jlrunr 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 27, 2009 7:41 AM

Survivor Harbor 7, 2010 Reviews

Share your experiences with the Survivor Harbor 7, 2010 below Back to event details page.

• Smaltimore Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    1. Feb 24, 2010 3:49 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Survivor Harbor 7, 2010 Reviews

The Active Survivors Network (ASN) and Smalltimore Events have joined forces to present a commemorative and unique pre race party for the Survivor 7 race on June 11th  4pm till 8pm.  Smalltimore Events, a local based company that works with Baltimore?s business, charities, restaurants, musicians, artists and various communities has contributed special concepts and ideas to complement the ASN for this important fundraising event.

Pre-race festivities include a spacious social beer and wine garden in the Canton Can Company foyer with live music from The Radio Dials and DJ Stylo. The surrounding community is welcome to join the participants of the Survivor 7 race during and after the packet pickup for this event. Come network and socialize with the runners and volunteers while enjoying food samples and perks from local businesses.

A new concept is the Can Company Passport, which is a one of a kind voucher which for only  $30 you are rewarded with $80 towards the Can Company restaurants. Participating restaurants are Outback Steakhouse, Field House, Austin Grill and Langermanns. This Passport is truly a perk and we hope all participants will take advantage of this while staying for the music and atmosphere.

The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within - strength, courage, dignity.

• Stitch23 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    2. Jun 14, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to Guest )

Race was well organized.  Start time was too late.  Weather needs to be taken into consideration.  Another water/gatordate stop would have been nice.  Hard to wait around so long when doing a point-to-point race.  Probably will not run again unless an earlier start time.

• Mickey Jo Rookie 1 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    3. Jun 14, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

The starting line for the 4-miler was not marked at all - and volunteers that we asked did not know where it was.  We received answers like "it's up there somewhere".  Also, it was an extremely hot day and there were not enough water stations.  Other than those 2 things, the walk was good!  We will definitely do it again next year.  At least now we know where the starting line is.

• RunningTHS Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Jun 14, 2010 10:23 AM (in response to Guest )

I loved the course and the race was very well organized.  The weather is always a gamble this time of year but can you start the 7 mile race earlier, and add mile markers with splits  next year.

• Shabba4000 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 17, 2009
    5. Jun 14, 2010 10:29 AM (in response to Guest )

This race has a pretty big field of Wheelchair Racers and Handcyclist thanks to the race organizers care and hospitality for such athletes.  I hope that the divisions are continued and grows because we need more metro area races that pays attention to these athletes.  With that in mind, the course can be improved by changing it to avoid bad roads or paving the parts that are rough.  In specific, the road we start on is horrible!  If this races hopes to become a premier event for wheeled athletes, this will need to be remedied.  Other than that, this is a great event for our divisions and I hope it grows!

• vjnoone Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 20, 2008
    6. Jun 14, 2010 10:29 AM (in response to Guest )

I agree with previous commenter. The start time is too late for a June run. It was hot and there are stretches of this race with no escape from the sun which is right in front of you. I liked the shuttle the starting points but like others, was confused where the start was and I did the 7 miles.

As for the route, I thought it was sheer torture that you ran past the finish and then looped around. I understand it's a logistic issue but I'd rather run and extra 1-2 miles in a small loop at the beginning then the end. 

LOVED that they had cold watermelon at the finish. Ever warm weather race should do that!

Other then that it was a fun route! I'd love to do it again if it started at 7 or 7:30 to escape the heat a bit.

• jlhafner Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 2, 2007
    7. Jun 14, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to Guest )

This is a great cause and a great course, however, 8am is just too late of a start time.

Also, this is the second year in a row that I have done this race, the second year it was dangerously hot, and the second year in a row they have run out of water at the finish line. Also, need bigger cups at the water stops.

• Anniegrl Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    8. Jun 14, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to Guest )

Well said:  The start time is too late for a June, 7 mile run, especially with so few water/aid stations.  A 7am start and another water station would help considerably   The people with water spray along the course really helped with the heat but there isn't much of an escape from the bright sun.  Still curious if the mistake with the results has been resolved yet.  I have not found the results listed other than at the finish.  I doubt I will come to Baltimore for a 8am start for the 7 miler

• pplf2001 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 18, 2008
    9. Jun 14, 2010 10:53 AM (in response to Guest )

In response to the comment about not having water at the finish... I went back after most people had left and there was tons of water left....

Agree about needing more water stations and that the start time was a bit too late.  It was HOT.

• Tim333 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    10. Jun 14, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to Guest )

An earlier start time would definitely be advised since the temperature was BRUTAL by 8:30am.  I'm not sure if the two people spraying runners with water were associated with SH7 or not, but I'd like to give them a big shoutout!  For hot days like this past Sunday, more water stations and more water sprayers would be great!  The route was fairly good; I liked how we ran thru the inner harbor walkway instead of Pratt St.  I did not like running on the cobblestones in the Harbor East roundabout.  But it was so short so it wasn't that badespecially because the taller buildings provided some brief shade.  The most brutal part for me was running down Aliceannasuper straight.  I would've like to break up that up with some turns...Boston St. wasn't as bad since it curves a bit.  I don't know, this is probably ticky-tack stuff.  Overall, it was a great race with great end-race amenities--watermelon, bagels, energy bars, etc.  Thanks to Field House for opening up and letting people feel the cool AC!  I'll definitely be running in 2011.

• ephe432 Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    11. Jun 14, 2010 11:02 AM (in response to Guest )

I have run this event 5 years in a row.  I think an 8am start time is fair due do key logistical considerations.  Because it's a point to point race, those who have to park at the finish line and catch buses to the start have to be there over an hour before the start of the race.  If the race started at 7am, that would push everything up an hour which would be very early and might discourage a lot of people from running.  (I live 30 minutes outside of the city so I already have to wake up at 5:15am to catch the shuttle bus on time.  I would not enjoy waking up an hour earlier than that.)  Normally it is not blisteringly hot in June.  This year was an exception.  I don't think the start time should change in the future simply because of one hot day.

I have a recommendation for how to improve on this year's race.  First, the mile markers were tough to find.  I only saw mile 3 and mile 5.  It would be helpful for runners to clearly see the mile markers for every mile.  It makes pacing the run much easier, and as a runner I would feel better knowing my mile splits so that I did not burn out before the end of the race, especially on such a hot day.

I thought the packet pickup and post-race events were fine.  It seems that the post-race amenities were a little skimpy this year though.  Bagels, watermelon, bananas, and energy bars are a meager selection compared to the goods that have been offered in the past.  Some type of fruit or sports drink like Gatorade would also be good.  After 7 miles, some people might like replenishing with something other than water.

Other than that, it was a great race and I enjoyed it.  Thanks again!

• not_from_here Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 24, 2007
    12. Jun 14, 2010 11:21 AM (in response to Guest )

A few simple changes would make this race MUCH more enjoyable:

1) Clear and calibrated mile markers. For the second year in a row, the mile markers were not in the right places and volunteers standing along the route to guide runners gave out erroneous information (for example, one said "almost at the 2-mile mark" when we were easily at 2.4). This is very disorienting.

2) More water stations. The shot glass size water cups across from the Can Company were a joke! It was dangerously hot and while it's not so hot every year, the organizers need to be responsive to the conditions and be prepared. I passed several runners who were dehydrated and sitting on the curb. People who were running with water were very kind in sharing with them. However, by mile-5, even those of us running with water had none left to share.

I don't know that I will run this race again next year. The organizers need to be more responsible in providing a safe and organized. race.

• erikach10 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    13. Jun 14, 2010 11:25 AM (in response to Guest )

I usually have a great time at this race with no criticism and high praises, but this year two things were really frustrating:

1. The announcer said that the race was going to be starting 5 minutes late.  I was waiting for friends to use the bathroom, so we made are way to the start line a few minutes after 8... only to find there was NO start line because they had already removed the timing mats.  And there were a lot of people behind us who also didn't get a chip time, not just a few stragglers.

2. The cups at the aid station were too small for people to hydrate properly on a hot day without having to take multiple cups, causing some of the aid stations to run out (at least temporarily, according to a friend).

• l1nguyen Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009
    14. Jun 14, 2010 11:35 AM (in response to Guest )

I have run this race a few years back and again this year.  I enjoy the route and its nice that it takes us through Baltimore's hotspots.  However, I did not anticipate the intense sun and heat that I was going to endure.  One more water station with bigger cups and several more people spraying hoses would have made a world of difference.  In regards to the setup, I was disappointed with the mile marker signs and how they were missing, upside down, and even backwards!  And lastly, I don't quite understand why the chip timers weren't distributed with our packet pickup.  I really wish it was made more clear or emphasized that a second pick up for the chips was needed to be made.  However, I am confused as to why should we spend a Friday and Sat going to pick up packets just to stand in line again to pick up chips on Sunday am?  I would have rather had chip pickup with registration and have the race start earlier.  Probably won't run again given how frustrated I am with not having a timing chip, having to do two packet pickups, how hot it was to run, lack of water stations and mile markers. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...