Skip navigation

3525 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2010 4:09 PM by CristinaGwynn RSS
boojeboy Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2005 11:54 AM

Chlorine resistant suits?

Any suggestions on brands/materials. The pool I normally swim in uses lots of chlorine and suits don't last too long. It seemslike a long time ago I had a suit which seemed to last the whole season though it got really faded but stayed tight.

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Oct 16, 2005 11:24 AM (in response to boojeboy)
    Re: Chlorine resistant suits?

I just purchased a Speedo Endurance suit. They're new for 2006 so I can't say if they're any better. The most durable suit is a poly-mesh trainer. They won't fade and barely stretch.

• krzyski00 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Oct 23, 2005 8:26 PM (in response to boojeboy)

I have a Speedo all-polyester suit - the secret is the absence of Lycra.  Chlorine just eats Lycra to pieces over time.  These suits have been around for just over a year (mine is 8 months old and still looks like new).  Try a store specializing in just swim wear.  Good luck!

• Bhusn Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 10, 2009
    3. Mar 10, 2009 7:25 PM (in response to boojeboy)

Just get a poly-mesh dragsuit and wear it over your suit.  Two reasons: all suits do in fact fade and wear down; two: poly-mesh suits do NOT wear or fade, and they hide everything very nicely.  Plus they add a SLIGHT amount of resistance so that you're faster when it's race day and you take it off.  Also, always remember to rinse your suit with tap water and ring it out or spin it (if you facility has one) right after you take it off.  Lastly, don't buy suits at retail.  If you wear a drag suit, who cares what design you have?  So look around on the web and in stores for "surplus/grabbag/training" suits that you can normally get for a large discount!

• CristinaGwynn Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    4. Jun 14, 2010 4:09 PM (in response to boojeboy)

We soak all of our suits in a vinegar and cold water solution for a few hours, rinse in cold water and then NEVER wash in the washing machine or put in the dryer -that seems to help out a lot.  Just use white vinegar, about one cup per gallon of cold water -- let it soak completely immersed.  Hope that helps!   We buy Speedo suits for $15 at Costco for practice suits and this seems to work GREAT.

Take care!

Cris      

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...