Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

117257 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 57 Previous Next
  • Lynae64 Pro 79 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jun 15, 2010 6:58 AM (in response to juju31)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Great job everyone!! Is anyone else doing any type of workout besides the C25K? I have been doing the program every other day and also working out for an hour every night, weights etc. That and I have 2 big dogs I walk every morning for 1/2 hour. Not seeing much of a change in weight though my pants do feel loser so I guess we just keep plugging along. Glad to see everyone here for support. Go Team!

First 5K will be August 13th, The Catnip 5K benefiting the Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood Oregon

Second 5K will be Sept. 19th, The Race for the Cure, Benefiting Breast Cancer Research

Still looking for an October and November race.

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    31. Jun 15, 2010 7:41 AM (in response to Lynae64)

I just started the C25K on Sunday, so this morning was my C25K W1D2 work out!  I have NEVER in my life been able to run so my husband said that he'd do it with me.  He's very in shape, but he knew I needed some support if I was going to stick with this plan.  I grew up dancing (ballet, jazz, tap) and was in really good shape until the past couple of years, but even at my best, I could not run a full lap around a track.  My doctor said it might be exercised induced asthma but did not give me an inhaler for it, so I'm seeing if building up slowly (and at a slow jog) will help me.  If it doesn't, I'll be going to the Dr. for an inhaler!  I'm doing this because not only do I want to get back in shape, but I really envy those who run and enjoy it.  I hear all the time about what a good way it is to clear your mind, or how people do it to relieve stress, and I wish that was me!

In addition to doing C25K, I've started doing Zumba once or twice a week!  I've also joined Weight Watchers online, so hopefully I will see a change in my weight/size soon.  I got married last July, and since the wedding I have gained 20+ pounds and went up 2-3 sizes.  I'm ready to shed that "happy marriage fat" and get back in shape!!  Let's hope C25K helps me accomplish that!

• Scarpela Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 29, 2010
    33. Jun 15, 2010 9:02 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi all! I would love to join your C25K group!

I ran my first 5K in Febuary but since then I haven't been running on a consistent basis. So I figure if I get started on the C25K program again I can build back up to running a full 3.1 miles without stopping. My only problem is motivation! I don't seem to have any! Hopefully this group can help me with that.

When I started back in November I joined a running group in my local city with an amazing running coach! I have since then moved away from there so I no longer have anyone to run with. (Which dosen't help the motivation factor.)

I have finished week 1 and am going to start week 2 today! I see a lot of people talking about running for so many seconds at a time, the plan that I followed the first time wasn't about time it was about distance. I think I'm going to stick with it since it worked for me the first time around. If anyone else is interested you can look at the C25K plan I'm following at www.rununiversity.com. There is also a BLOG that Coach Danny puts out on there too. He is a great motivational speaker! I subscribe to his BLOG and everytime I read an entry I want to get out there and run.

As for taking days off...you need them! We were told to run at least 4 days a week but no more then 6. I try to run at least 5 days a week and usually will take Wednesday's and Sunday's off.

One last thing...I have a Blackberry and have been using an app from www.endomondo.com. I love it because I always have trouble keeping up with how far I've ran and this app uses the GPS and keeps up with distance, speed and time. And when you stop your workout it automatically uploads to the website.

That's my 2 cents for now. I'm very excited to hear about everyones accomplishments!! I will let you all know how my run goes later on today!

Anna

"You will always run farther if you run slower."

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    34. Jun 15, 2010 9:02 AM (in response to juju31)

Lynae64 - I personnally am just doing something small on my non C25k days.  I am just doing little things like pushups, situps, crunches, etc.  Just something to keep me moving on those days.  I am taking Fridays/Saturdays as my total off days, so I dont get burnt out with anything.

This is so awesome to see this group growing!!!  It is very inspiring and motivating.  I have my wife so we can motivate each other, but this is even more of a push for us.  So... here is a question - what do you do when you start to lose motivation?  What keeps you going?  For me, it is my kids.  We want to set a good example for them and when I get tired and want to quit, I think of my kids asking me why I cant play with them and am so tired all of the time - that motivates me to MOVE!

Happy Running!  - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • lebooj Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    35. Jun 15, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to jpbgrad98)

Hello everyone!

I found out about the C25K today while searching for work out rountines and tips on youtube, and wow I'm so glad that I did. I'm 23 and from Australia. I've been extremely lazy for a number of years now and started doing weight and general body exercise about two weeks ago and am slowly quitting all my bad habits. Just like Juju I've quit soda and have cut back drinking to just the rare social occasion (NYE resolution that I completed ). I went for a run this morning before I found out about C25K and am pretty sore at the moment, so I'm going to wait till Thursday till I do my first run . Can't wait to start (AND FINISH!) this challenge with you guys.

Good luck

• maggiemae76 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    36. Jun 15, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to juju31)

I finished W1D1.  I can't believe I finished it!  It was hard but I kept telling myself that I can finish it and I did.  I have actually attempted this program several other times and have never been able to finish day 1 so never continued it.  I am so glad that I was able to finish it today!

I think it is great that there are so many of us here now that can motivate each other to actually do this.  I love that there are some that are ahead of me by a week or so.  I get to hear that others are doing it and that it can be done!

My husband unfortunatly is not really in shape, we actually started walking together again.  About 2 years ago we joined Weightwatchers and were walking regularly.  I lost about 30 pounds and he lost 110 pounds. I was so proud of him.  We stopped walking and stopped weightwatchers, I gained it all back plus some, he gained back about 80.  We both need to do something again.  He is in no way ready for this at this point but I hope if I can do this it will inspire him once he looses weight agian.  My plan is to continue walking with him on my off days to keep him motivated.

Good luck this week everyone.

C25k Started 6/15/2010

My C25K blog

Jun 13, 2010
    37. Jun 15, 2010 9:48 AM (in response to maggiemae76)

maggiemae76 - great job on W1D1!  It feels great, doesn't it??

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • Wobbles007 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    38. Jun 15, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Scjohnson)

Scjohnson: It looks like we are on the same schedule! I also completed W2D1 yesterday! I totally agree, the 4th time I was feeling like 90 seconds was awefully long! I pushed through it and I managed to jog the whole time, but it sure got tough the last 2-3 sprints! If you are using a tredmill (or anyone else), how fast are you running during the 90 seconds? I am currently going 5 mph run and 3.5 mph walk. Good luck tomorrow!!

How fast is everyone else jogging and walking? I am excited that there are so many people that have joined our group!! How fun!

Jun 14, 2010
    39. Jun 15, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to Lynae64)

Hi Lynae64: Great job on being so faithful with the C25K program! Congrats on the looser pants! I know what a great feeling that is! I am also working out on the days that I do not run (except I take 1 day off a week, Sunday). I have a program called "TurboJam" that I purchased a couple of months ago and I was doing it hit and miss because I was in college and I didn't have much time and I wasn't following a strict diet, so I didn't see very good results. However, I am doing the "Cardioparty" and "Punch, Kick, and Jam/ TurboAbs" on the days that I am not running. On the days that I am running, I am trying to do TurboSculpt at least 2 of the days (which is very tough). This is only my second week of trying this schedule, but so far I feel like my clothes are looser and I "feel" thinner! I lost 4 pounds last week, so lets see how it goes this week! I am aiming for 2 pounds a week.

Good luck to you! Keep running!

Jun 13, 2010
    40. Jun 15, 2010 10:39 AM (in response to Wobbles007)

My walking is speed level 3, and my running is speed level 5.  Today, I raised the incline by about 2 % just to help simulate running outdoors.  I am getting through about 1.63 miles.

Jun 14, 2010
    41. Jun 15, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to juju31)

JuJu31: I just want to give you a big THANKS for being so encouraging with your group! It is great to have all these people to draw support from and you are doing a great job in keeping everyone involved! Thank you!

Also, I completely know where you are coming from!! Those silly in-shape husbands! My husband is very supportive also and always encouraging me to keep going, however, the first day he jumped on our new tredmill he ran a 10 minute mile. BLUGH. I am proud of him.. But also jealous. haha We will get there. Wont that be so awesome when we can actually run for 10 minutes straight and do a whole mile??? I'm still intimidated by next weeks 3 minutes... Baby steps!

Thank you for the quote, that is so true! You have to have a goal and have a plan to get there. I gained weight after I got married, but then I started to have miscarriages and the stress of that sent me running for comfort food, which added on a total of 40 pounds since I got married 5 years ago. My goal is to lose those silly 40 pounds, 2 pounds at a time!

Jun 14, 2010
    42. Jun 15, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to jpbgrad98)

jpbgrad98: Oh good! That sounds like what I am doing also, almost the same distance too! It is nice to hear that I am doing it right! I believe in you and your wife that you can do this and attain this goal. Having motivation to do this for your kids is a great way to keep you on track! I know that they will appreciate it, however, I know that you are going to feel so great!

I love your quote on your profile. So very true. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

• AlteredMentation Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 14, 2008
    43. Jun 15, 2010 11:16 AM (in response to juju31)

Can I join your party late???  I'm crushed at work until tomorrow but plan to either start tonight or tomorrow.  I have tried starting this before but apparently wasn't motivated enough to stick with it.  I am going to do it this time!!  I am counting on everyone to keep me motivated, and hopefully me for you as well.  I am a work from home mom in her 40s who seems to be in a middle aged slump.  My exercise is nonexistant, my metabolism is....well....nonexistant....but my butt seems to be making up for all of it - It keeps growing bigger.  Time for a change!  I have a date with a 5K in October, so now I need to get serious.  I'll post again after my first run.

• imsatx Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    44. Jun 15, 2010 6:41 PM (in response to juju31)

Hey everyone. I started c25k today, and to be honest, after reading all the posts on here, I'm feeling a little discouraged. Background-- I'm 22, never ran before, pretty clueless about working out. I'd be happy losing about 7 pounds & toning up, and being able to run and enjoy it. So, I started off doing pretty well, and I was listening to the Podrunner Dj music, and about 20 minutes into it, I had to stop because I thought I was going to throw up, never did, just nauseous. I was out of breath, kept drinking water, and was walking around and trying to yawn to catch a breath lol. Nausea went away. I finished it out. By the time I got home, I felt 'hangover' sick. Since I figured I was dehydrated, I continued to drink water, and now I feel like I'm overhydrated. sigh. I know I'm going to have to push myself to do it again on Thursday, but I hope to try it on a treadmill in the air conditioning and hopefully that will help--starting out for the first time in mid 90 degree weather might not have been the smartest for me.

Congrats to everyone else, and keep up the good work

1 2 3 4 5 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...