Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2264161 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 760 Previous Next
  • gmadenise Legend 202 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    420. Jun 15, 2010 6:29 PM (in response to PixieTrxie)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club.... 3/1/2010 C25K thread

Tyme, this IS a pretty cool forum--love that we are all giving this our best shot and encouraging one another.

Trish, I don't blame you for wanting to leave! That kind of humidity just drains you, and it lasts WAY too long there.

Jo Ann, Lancaster to Alabama--what a change in climate, hot and dry to hot and humid! Have a wonderful time with the 10K, that's on my long-term list of things to accomplish!

Fluffy, I agree wholeheartedly about the big thing with C25K is learning your pace and building endurance--really, it's learning how to listen to your body to know when to push yourself and when to back off some.

Liz, glad your back is better; do the C25K at your own pace, just keep at it. We can do this.

Wideguy, you may get me converted to barefoot running yet, that is terrific that you were able to run that long!

itsallaboutd, I run on a treadmill most of the time because I'm a wimp and don't want to run in the rain--that and running in my neighborhood involves a whole lot of hills, and somehow the longest run segments always seem to hit when I'm going uphill, not downhill! I do like running outside, though, as long as it's on a safe road or trail and the weather isn't too wet. I have walked a 5K, and I'm hooked now--I really really really want to run one in the next couple of months, even if I have to walk part of it.

Pixie, I know how you feel about your life depending on this. That's what got me started moving and losing weight as well; I turned 55 in January and started off the year weighing in at 252 lbs. At 5'3", that's a whole lot of weight to be carrying around. I have a grandson who just turned 1 this past weekend, and I want to be around to see him grow up and get married. You can do this; just keep at it. I'm just now at a point where the thought of running more than 90 seconds doesn't completely freak me out!

I did get to do week 4 on the treadmill today. Made it through the first 3 minute run no problem, walk, then the first 5 minute run--it was harder, but I did the WHOLE 5 MINUTES! I've had a mental block about being able to run more than 2 or 3 minutes before having to slow down, so that was a big victory for me. Did the second 3 minutes, walk, then the final 5 minutes I could only do about half running. Still, I did more running and less walking than ever before, so I was able to 1.48 miles in 22.06 according to my Nike+. I'm pretty happy with that; at least I feel like I'm making progress again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike+: deniseg3 / dailymile / runkeeper / http://fitfocusedblessed.com

January 2010: 252 lbs.

Started C25K March 2010 @ 235 lbs.

First half marathon June 2011 @ 170 lbs.

First Ragnar Relay July 2012 @ 145 lbs.

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    421. Jun 15, 2010 6:45 PM (in response to PixieTrxie)

Pixie; you're going to rock it for sure, I read the determination in your post! FWIW, my first 5k was a 2 weeks ago and about half way through a mid-50's woman jogged up beside me and said that she had been racing me the whole way. I smiled big and said "well, let's go then!", she and I ran together for the remainder of the race and finished at the same time. Along the way we chatted a little bit, (a sentence here and there, getting to know eachother).. it turns out it was her first 5k ever and the longest distance and fastest she'd ever run, and the same was true for me. As the last mile started to wind down, we both kicked up our speed and gave it our all.. Crossing the finish line in the midst of a hundred or more people cheering you on is quite a feeling. We both finished real strong and congratulated eachother before celebrating with our families. So if you get a chance.. don't be shy, I bet you could find a race buddy in someone who is out there running at about (or maybe a tiny bit ahead) of your pace!

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• tymewarrp Pro 69 posts since
    Jun 6, 2010
    423. Jun 15, 2010 8:09 PM (in response to Wideguy)

i just found this and thought, yea! thats awesome.

nike+ id: tymewarrp

• sfeary Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    424. Jun 15, 2010 9:51 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Good evening, everyone! I'm Stacy and I ran across the C25K plan as I was researching how to become a runner. I'll start with W1D1 in the morning. I'm 45 years old, 5'8" and 219 pounds. I've never been a runner before and I'm scared and excited. I hope excited wins out when I start to haul my butt around the park...

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jun 6, 2010
    425. Jun 15, 2010 9:57 PM (in response to sfeary)

the best to you stacy. I started not too long ago as well. It may hurt in the beginning, but nothing in life worth having will ever come easy. Stick with it and come to the forum for support. There are super cool people here who will help you run further.

Jun 15, 2010
    426. Jun 15, 2010 10:01 PM (in response to tymewarrp)

Thank you, Tymewarrp! How is the plan working for you? I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with the pacing, and I really want to. I'd like to be a runner when I go on vacation in 8 weeks.

Jun 6, 2010
    427. Jun 15, 2010 10:27 PM (in response to sfeary)

I like it. I finished last week and decided to go w1 again. I just want to know I had the endurance to carry on to week 2. I gotta say, I am losing size off my waist, and besides that I feel better. I go to San Jose State and right now I am on break, so there is not much to do. What I figured was instead of just sitting around, I would try to get in shape. I used to play football so I was in shape a while ago, and once I get into the swing of things I hope to be in that shape again. Not tryin for NCAA, just a good life. All I can suggest is work at your own pace. If you are not doing the program week by week, just know there is no time table, and no matter what you are getting exercise, so there is no negative, just running. Run baby run.

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    428. Jun 16, 2010 4:59 AM (in response to tymewarrp)

That's awesome tymewarrp!  Keep it up.  Love the attitude.

And thanks for the links about barefoot running.  I've been hearing a lot about it, particularly in other forums, and I'm seriously considering the switch.  Never thought I would, but never say never...

Best to all.

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    429. Jun 16, 2010 5:09 AM (in response to sfeary)

@sfeary: Definitely best of luck to you, and I second the recommendation to hit up this thread if you have any questions or need some support. Running isn't easy at first, I can very clearly recall Week 1 and it seeming impossible for me. I would wobble out of the gym with legs tired and shins on fire.. by week 3 I discovered the two things that made my running much less painful and quite rewarding. #1 was to slow down, you really should be able to chat a sentence at a time to someone when you're jogging and not gasping for air. #2 was my running posture, my heel was striking the ground first and that stressed my shins like crazy. I think it was Wideguy posted a youtube link to a demonstration of jogging technique of a person on a treadmill, check it out and I think this is a good introduction to it as well:

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• itsallaboutd Expert 41 posts since
    Apr 13, 2009
    430. Jun 16, 2010 5:45 AM (in response to revgum)

A virtual running buddy.. that is an awesome idea.

Reading this thread is definitely motivational for sure.  So many people trying to achieve a common goal.  I LOVE THAT.

I run every other day so my days are never the same I run on.. the only time it sometimes gets out of whack is when I have to hit the road for work for 3.4 days at a time.  I cant always get to a treadmill during that time.

Just out of curiosity, are there any other Canadians on this thread by chance? I am near Port Dover, Ontario (near lake erie)

http://runkeeper.com/user/itsallaboutd/profile

Week

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Day

1 2 3 4 5 6

First 5K run Run for the Cure - Breast Cancer, London, ON

Oct 3, 2010

Jun 15, 2010
    432. Jun 16, 2010 7:44 AM (in response to revgum)

Bless you, revgum, for that post. I did W1D1 this morning, and I have to tell you, I thought it was going to be pretty easy. I can stay on the elliptical for over an hour no problem, so I thought running/walking was gonna be a piece of cake. Honestly? I was cursing by the time 15 minutes were up and the only reason I finished the 20 minutes was my damn pride. It was tough!  Nevertheless, Day 2? Bring it on...

Thanks for the welcome, Wideguy, it's nice to see so many folks that are bonded by a common goal. In response to your premise that we are all genetically predisposed runners, I would agree that it fits with our beginnings as a culture. How else did we get anywhere in a hurry? That said, my people probably hitched rides on the wooly mammoths as soon as they were able to be harnessed! I will keep trying, though, until that deeply buried running instinct rises to the surface again.

Thanks for all the responses. it's nice to be here.

stacy

• donnamacd Pro 120 posts since
    Nov 4, 2007
    433. Jun 16, 2010 9:26 AM (in response to Wideguy)

We don't live too far from each other, WG - I'm in southeastern (Mystic) CT - about 12 miles from the Rhode Island border.

"You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind." ...and you can't train for a race by thinking about it - you have to put in the miles.

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 760 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...