Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

119594 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 57 Previous Next
  • 2RunAgain Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jun 15, 2010 6:56 PM (in response to imsatx)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Hi, everyone. Hi, imsatx. Don't get discouraged. Starting something new is always challenging. I'm proud of you so keep it up. We can do this and it will get easier and easier. I'm proud of myself too because I just finished my W1D1 workout tonight! I meant to start yesterday but work and a boatload of excuses got in the way. The workout was challenging but I'm telling myself the same thing that I told imsatx: this is day 1 and it WILL get easier and easier. Thanks for all the posts and words of encourage here. And a special thanks to juju for keeping us all going and on the right track. I'll keep reading the posts and will check in with you guys again after my next workout!!! Keep running....

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    46. Jun 15, 2010 7:33 PM (in response to juju31)

imsatx - DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!  Its like learning anything new...  you have never run before, so your body is not used to it.  People say that the farther weeks are the hardest, but I disagree.  Starting out is in my opinion the hardest - taking those first steps, getting your body used to running - that is hard.   As far as feeling sick, if it were very hot where you are at and were running outside, you very well may have been dehydrated, especially since you are new to running.

I am very proud that you stuck to it and finished it out.  I think everyone here would agree.  It does get easier, if you keep working at it.  This group here has proven that we will all be here for each other - providing support and motivation,  If you ever get down, just post and someone will be there to help get you back on track!

Happy running!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • JenVB Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009
    49. Jun 15, 2010 8:49 PM (in response to juju31)

Gave up soda?  Wow, good job!!  You'll really like the c25k.  For me it was easy to follow.  It got tough a few times, but I repeated a couple of runs and would turn to this forum for advice and encouragement.

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    50. Jun 15, 2010 8:50 PM (in response to juju31)

Completely off topic here, but I had been doing really well with what I have been eating.  I work in retail as a sales manager, and today was a particularly long, hard day.  We got to order food for the store and the choice was pizza.  I ordered a salad as was doing well.... ugh.  I broke.  3 pieces later, 1 breadstick, and 1 soda later, I feel like crap.  Ugh, ugh, ugh.  Oh well, tomorrow is a new day!  Everyone have a great night and...

Happy Running!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • RobRunsIndy Amateur 22 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    52. Jun 15, 2010 9:17 PM (in response to juju31)

Okay, I just gotta say something here. First, pizza came home tonight at my house as well. Second, I really love Windex (generic or brand) for all of the wonderful things it does (cleaning glass and faucets and helping to get rings off fingers when they're swollen) but I have NEVER heard about spraying it on my pizza.

Wow!

That will certainly help me cut back on the extra piece next time. Thanks for the tip and the laugh.

Good night and good luck tomorrow for all of you (like me) kicking off D3W1.

Ciao,

Rob

• lebooj Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    53. Jun 15, 2010 9:50 PM (in response to juju31)

imsatx, I had pretty much the same experience the other morning, but for me it was way to early, very cold and raining real bad (great time to start running!) I didn't know that C25K existed so I planned on just running around a few blocks. Around half way I started to feel pretty sick and puked my guts up, which in turn helped me find this . Remember that you are supposed to be doing a light/medium jog for your sets and that your body will be sore and your breathing will be bad for the first few weeks, this is normal. Keep at it mate.

Haha, pizza relapses already?

Quitting soda for me isn't that hard, the hardest thing so far is quitting my milk mochas. Man I love my mochas, I would have between 1 to 2 a day, but now it's been about a week. Like most things, the first day or two was the hardest but now I don't even care. Actually on the topic of food, I want to know what you guys think about a diet and idea that I have. I'm around 6'6 and maybe 120-130kgs (264-286lbs). I actually don't know my real weight because I haven't weighed myself in about a year plus. I've bought a whole heap of healthy food today and will be attempting to eat no shitty foods everyday. I've got heaps of fruit, veg and nuts for snacks and quite a few receipes for tasty healthy meals. I'm thinking maybe I should not weigh myself till after I've run a 5K just to surprise myself. What do you guys think?

Edit: Also, just incase nobody has seen these links for streches before: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml and something to do during your 5 minute walm up: http://landiceblog.com/?p=542

• VaBigDad Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    54. Jun 16, 2010 4:52 AM (in response to juju31)

I have never heard of spraying pizza with Windex.  I guess that would prevent me from eating it.  I guess I have it easy.  My wife and I are doing Weight Watchers.  Since I am a pretty big guy, hopefully that will change, I get plenty of points each day.  If we want pizza, we order a cheese pizza.  The points system is nice that if I know I am going to be eating that.  I plan my other meals accordingly so that I have the points and I don't go over.  It makes it easier to follow. It seems to work.  I have lost 28 lbs in 8 weeks.  That is really without doing much exercise.  Now I have started the C25K.  It could only get better.

I was a 2-3 20 oz. bottle of Dr Pepper at work and then go home and drink a can or two at night everyday person.  When I started WW.  I just cut it out completely.  I didn't touch a soda for the first week or so.  I thought it was going to be rough.  It really wasn't that bad.  I have since added diet soda back in my diet.  Yet, I probably don't drink but maybe two to three diet sodas a week.  It is nice for a change.  Of course living in the south.  I have my iced tea with sweet and low.  That makes it easier.

I am trying to figure out my schedule to make sure I have time for W1D2.  I have it figured out and locked in.  I will be running this evening around 5:30.  I get off from work at 4:30 and I have to pick my daughter up and go home.  So, as soon as I get home.  I will change and hit the treadmill.

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    55. Jun 16, 2010 5:09 AM (in response to VaBigDad)

Thanks for sharing your experience on soda VaBigDad.  I'm also a regular soda drinker (Coke), about two a day, and I can't imagine cutting it out even though I know it's unhealthy.  I've tried several times, but I always gave in.  I'm now thinking of about switching to club soda to fool body into thinking it's drinking soda!  Hopefully it'll work. 

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• Scjohnson Pro 89 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    56. Jun 16, 2010 5:24 AM (in response to juju31)

"Well group my 7 month old has been a fussy gussy all day today.  So I have not been able to do a work out like I had planned.  I went to the grocery store does that count as a workout???  Anyway, I will be doing my day 2 tomorrow nigt after I get off work and my hubby gets home.  Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow and I will catch up with you all tomorrow."

I have a baby around that age, and I can promise you, doing ANYTHING with her is a workout.

I noticed with her my 30 minute Wal-Mart trip turns into a 3 hour marathon all on its own.

Nike+: scjohnson243

C25k Started - 6/7

_____

Zoo Zoom 5k- 8/28/10 :  44:41

• Scjohnson Pro 89 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    57. Jun 16, 2010 5:38 AM (in response to ActiveWatches Dave)

Well, This morning I finished W2D2 - it seemed SO much easier than W2D1!  I woke up at 5AM and figured I would go run, try to set the pace for the rest of my day before work..  I dont know if it was the fact that it was so much cooler, or if my body got adjusted from the first day, but I'm eager to try D3 and see how it plays out... 

About the soda,  I was a coke addict all my life (I live in Louisiana, we call any carbonated beverage "Coke", Wierd, eh?).  I read somewhere that if you really NEED to drink a coke, or a Coffee in the morning, go ahead and do it, just drink 2 extra helpings of water after to "wash it out".  I have also read other people say that drinking too much water is bad for you (but I *THINK* they are talking in HUGE amounts).

I *HATE* plain water, so I buy those 0 calorie lipton tea mixes and use those everytime I'm drinking, I figure its a good compromise because its GOT to be better for you than soda, even if its not as "pure" as water is.  I have also noticed that I'm a lazy guy most of the time, and a lot of the time I'll give up trying to find where my wife re-orginized our kitchen and find my tea mix, so I'll just end up drinking water.

Also, to Imsatx, I'm with everyone when they say dont get discouraged, I felt like I overdid it Monday, but seemed much easier today - make sure you are hydrating yourself well when your not running - and dont drink a lot DURING the run, or just after that makes me feel sick!  You just have to learn what your bodys telling you - Learning to listen to it is the hard part.

Keep it up everyone - This forum is great, I keep telling myself if everyone else can do it, theres not a good excuse why I cant!  (I need to find a lot of modivation when my alarm clock rings at 5AM)

Nike+: scjohnson243

C25k Started - 6/7

_____

Zoo Zoom 5k- 8/28/10 :  44:41

• TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    58. Jun 16, 2010 7:10 AM (in response to juju31)

Well, I just finished W2D2!  I agree with the previous poster who thought it seemed easier than day one.  I think in my case it was because I ran at 9:30 a.m. instead of at noon!  Sooo much cooler outside and I wasn't totally dying by the time I got home.  I used my iTouch and it told me when to run and when to walk which also helped so much.  This program had me do 9 runs and 8 walks plus a warm up and cool down walk.

My problem is desserts.  I used to drink lots of Sprite but I cut that out.  I love desserts, though.  Three weeks ago I cut out all sugar/soda cold turkey and I had a terrible headache for three days straight.  I guess that my body was trying to tell me something.  I definitely feel better now.

Everyone here is very inspiring and motivating to me.

Also, to the poster who was feeling so nauseous and discouraged...don't give up!!!  I felt the same way when I first started running a few years ago.  I would feel so sick.  Keep at it, slow down if you need to, but don't give up.  You will slowly start feeling better.

Have a great day, everyone!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• maggiemae76 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    59. Jun 16, 2010 8:34 AM (in response to juju31)

So yesterday I thought I felt pretty good after my run, not a lot of soreness.  Today OMG I am sore.  I am going for a walk this morning and hopefully that will help the soreness and stiffness.  I am still determined to run tomorrow.  Setting my alarm for early to run before my sun gets up!

To everyone giving up soda, GOOD for you!  I gave up regular soda years ago but am a diet coke addict now!  I am trying to drink more of those crystal light drink mixes, I don't like tea or milk really so water is one of my few choices.  I work night shift so I need some caffiene!

C25k Started 6/15/2010

My C25K blog

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...