Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

119535 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres Go to original post 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57 Previous Next
  • Scjohnson Pro 89 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Jun 16, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to maggiemae76)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

I'm not sure about running - but if you have really sore muscles, some fresh pineapple is good!  Something about bromelain (which is found in pineapples) eases sore muscles.  I used to do a nice long soak in a really hot bath, and cut/eat some fresh pineapple when I was really hurting (Just be careful with the amount of sugar, as in most fruit)

Hope it helps!

Nike+: scjohnson243

C25k Started - 6/7

_____

Zoo Zoom 5k- 8/28/10 :  44:41

• rivertownrun Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    61. Jun 16, 2010 9:23 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi Everyone -

Sorry I am getting to the party late!  I am 37 yrs old and have tried to catch the "running bug" before with little to no success for various reasons.....some real and some not so real....lol.  When I was in college I played tennis for the school and I used to run all day long but I can not do that anymore, as much as I like to kid myself.  I stillplay tennis, but it is more just quick bursts of running.  I am 6ft tall and weigh 260 pounds.  I would love to be 240 by October.  That is my goal and I want to incorporate the c25K program in achieving it.  I would also love to run in a 5K in the Fall with my family there so my kids can see me run.  They already think that I am active bc of tennis but in a few short years they will realize that I am a bit more Daddy than there should be!  I want to be a role model for them for excercise....a positive one....not a "don't end up like this" one...lol.  I will start tonight and log in tomorrow to give my progress.    Good luck to everyone else and here we go!!

T

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    62. Jun 16, 2010 12:48 PM (in response to rivertownrun)

I've never heard of spraying Windex on pizza either, although I know it'd certainly stop me from eating it!!  Congrats to those who can go without soda...I've been good the past two days about drinking water, but I still want a little Diet Pepsi here and there!  I think it'll only get harder for me too b/c I need that kick of caffeine when I hit my 2pm "wall" at work!

Yesterday morning I did W1D2 and thought I was going to die!  By the 4th jog, I was saying to my husband, "I'm NEVER gonna make it to week 2!!!!"   I found I had a harder time breathing than I did with Day 1-like I needed to spit a lot and I wasn't getting a deep enough breath in.  I'm running outside at a reallllly slow pace.   I know for sure that if I was on a treadmill, I'd be going a lot slower than 5.0, but I at least I'm not walking!  I'm trying not to be too hard on myself about going slowly because my goal is just to be able to jog for 30 minutes, then I can think about re-doing the C25K at a faster pace!

I did Zumba after work, which I was pretty proud of since I had already done Day 2 before work.  I'm finding myself WANTING to get up and move more now that I have a little motivation.  During lunch today I went and walked two laps around our walking track, just because I didn't want to sit still, and tonight my husband and I are planning on taking the dogs for a long walk (if the rain holds off).   I'm looking forward to doing W1D3 in the morning, and then Zumba on Friday.  I think instead of just going by weeks, I'm going to keep doing the program every other day so I might end it quicker than 9 weeks.  I get out of the swing of things really easily and I'm afraid if I take two days off in a row, I'll get lazy.  I say that now, but we'll see if that lasts.

I ate really well yesterday but caved at bed time when my husband brought chips into the bedroom so he could snack before he went to sleep (he weighs hardly anything so it's fine for him-NOT for me).  He hadn't eaten much for dinner and was hungry and I got too tempted.  I know having treats here and there won't kill me, but I really need to stop eating earlier in the night.  I think if I cut myself off 2 hrs before bed I'd be fine.  I had a friend tell me she lost weight by cutting out carbs after lunch...what do people think about that?  I've done South Beach diet before and cutting carbs out of my diet helped me lost 12 pounds in 10 days (stayed off for over a year too), so maybe only having meat and veggies for dinner would be a good thing.  Do any of you do that?

• rivertownrun Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    63. Jun 16, 2010 1:01 PM (in response to AngelSmitty)

I think it is great that you did 2 laps at lunch!   Do not worry about pace at the moment.  You can always pick up pace later!  Keep up the good work!

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."

• melnbulldogs77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    64. Jun 16, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to juju31)

Hi Everybody!

It's great to see all the folks who are taking charge of their health and sharing their experiences!!

I started the C25K on Sunday and did my W1D2 last night.  After my first run my quads were killing me but then I did some Yoga on Monday and I felt a lot better.  My run last night was great, my 3 year old daughter went with me, she rode her bike and cheered me on.  I realized at that moment that I was not JUST doing this for myself but for my girls as well, I want them to learn early on that it is important to be active. I used to be very active but after I had my two girls (3yr old and a 9 mnth old)...  well.. you all know how that goes.

I would love to join your group and share in your experiences!  I need all the motivation I can get!  Good Luck to All!!!!!

Does anybody know the rules to running on a highschool track?  I have one right around the corner from me but it always appears to be locked.

• jpbgrad98 Pro 78 posts since
    Jun 13, 2010
    65. Jun 16, 2010 4:14 PM (in response to melnbulldogs77)

melnbulldogs77 - Welcome!  Congrats on starting your C25k journey.  Its nice that your daughter cheered you on.  :-)  You and I as well as a few others here have realized that we need to set a good example for our wives/husbands/children.  I know how I have been feeling now that I run, and I know how I felt before.  I actually look forward (even though I know there will be a lot of sweat and tiredness) to the days I run.  Thats why I am also doing some little things like pushups, situps, etc. on the non C25k days.

As far as running on the track near you, sorry I cant be of help there.  I would maybe start by calling the school district - there should be someone there or at least voicemail - with Summer School and all.  Glad to see our group growing more.  I too look forward to hearing everyones progress and experiences on this journey!

Happy Running!  - Jason

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    66. Jun 16, 2010 5:36 PM (in response to juju31)

I want in!!!!! I want in!!!!!

I started Sunday (6/13), so tomorrow morning (Thursday) I will be doing W1D3. I wish I could do it every day!

I played tennis tonight, so hopefully I still have enough legs to do it in the morning. I might wait till Friday. I live in southern SC and the weather is pretty hot and humid. This is my first summer here, after moving from northern Ohio - big difference!

About 7 years ago, I ran 3 1/2 miles a day, 3 days a week on a track. Then I experienced a serious illness, and gained about 60 pounds. I slowly (without exercising) lost about 15 during the spring semester, but started doing Jillian Michaels DVDs about 4 weeks ago. I have hit a plateau at 20 pounds, so hopefully C25K will help. My problem is (I think) that I don't eat enough. I'm just not hungry, and as a full-time college student, I don't always have time to cook. 2 nights I don't get home from school until 9 after being there all day. I need to figure out a food plan that is a little more simple. I am not a salad fan - I like hot food, but not processed food. There is my dilemma!!!!

I'm really excited to find this group!!!!! I looked here the day I started and didn't see a group in my timeframe, but didn't have time to try and start one. So I sure am glad someone else did...please let me in!!!!!!

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

Jun 13, 2010
    67. Jun 16, 2010 6:24 PM (in response to Scjohnson)

Scjohnson - Fresh pineapple to cure achy muscles... I never knew that.  Thanks for the advice.  We have a local farmers market with the best fresh fruits and vegetables - I just found out that we had that!  I'll have to pick some up.  How long does an uncut fresh pineapple last?  Can you freeze them?

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be where you've always been.
  • QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    68. Jun 16, 2010 6:57 PM (in response to juju31)

Hi Everyone!  If you don't mind I'd like to join this newbie group also.  I finished W1D2 this morning.  I am a 53 year old Nana who has never run before.  Good luck to all of us!  Please do drink lots of water starting before you start the program for the day.  I've always heard your mouth feels dry AFTER you are already dehydrated.  It's so cool to have so many people starting at the same time.  I'm so excited!

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    69. Jun 16, 2010 7:12 PM (in response to Scarpela)

Anna,  Thanks for the Blackberry app tip.  I have been so jealous of the people with iphones and droids who could use an app for C25K.  I can't wait to try this one.  I was thinking of jumping on Crackberry and asking some one to write one.  Anyway thanks, and I'm glod to  be starting out with such a great group.  Melinda

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    70. Jun 16, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

I jut completed week 2 tonight  so not far ahead but wanted to just say congrats to all of you for starting too.  I'm going to drag myself back over to my friends in the 200+ Pound club (thread).  

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• appygirl82 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    71. Jun 16, 2010 8:00 PM (in response to juju31)

Hello group!

I started C25K today ;o)   I lost about 80 lbs a few years back and have been up and down about 5-10 lbs since.  I want to get ahold of things again and start to workout.  Right now I can only run like 1/4 of the track before feeling like I am going to die....its pathetic.  I hope this gets better?  I'm not in that bad of shape, just never had the endurance for running.  I hope this works!!

• Wobbles007 Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    72. Jun 16, 2010 10:02 PM (in response to appygirl82)

Hello to everyone who has joined!! So excited to have you here! Well, today was W2D2 and I am proud to say I finished!!! YAY!! It wasn't as hard as W2D1 to me, although the last 2 runs were kind of tough. I was feeling quite winded at the end! The first 3 though I was feeling MUCH better and was actually surprised when it was time to walk again. YAY! Hopefully this will get easier the more we push! Hope you all have a great night and a great run!

• RobRunsIndy Amateur 22 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    73. Jun 17, 2010 6:03 AM (in response to Wobbles007)

Wow, this group is really getting cranked up. It's great to be connected knowing we're all working at the same goal and in the same stage. It's almost like a virtual group run! Thanks to everybody from the pineapple to the apps. The biggest thanks I have is just for all of your candid comments. I actually think about this group now when I hit the pavement.

Finished D3W1 last nite at 11 pm (running when I can avoid the heat and the lightning). When I started, I just wanted to keep running. I realized after a short while that I wasn't ready for that.

And side stitches...holy cow, when was the last time I had those? Knees are achy today but I'm proud to have a goal, a plan, and a group I can ramble on to.

Have a great Thursday and stay hydrated!

Rob

Jun 13, 2010
    74. Jun 17, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to juju31)

Alright - mark W1D3 in the books!  My wife and I completed this morning - and let me tell you - IT FEELS GREAT! I am so proud of everyone else that is completing this first week, and all those ahead and completing their weeks.  I, too think of this group - not just the accountability aspect, but because we are all going through it together.  While my wife and I are running we think of how everyone else is doing!

Great job to everyone and heres to our next week!

Happy Running - Jason

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...