Skip navigation

1612 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2010 9:12 AM by ericbenjaming
nevergoodenough Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 15, 2010 3:08 PM

Understanding Plays help?

i am doing a camp right now and they are teaching us plays. i am unable to understand any of them and when i asked all the coaches if i could have them written out they said they wouldnt. i seem to understand the first few motions but then i get lost. I tried "following" one man and seeing him through the whole play but I still couldnt remember the screens and where to cut. and when they reversed the play the other way it was even worse. any tips on understanding the plays better?

• DFENSE808 Pro 126 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010
    1. Jun 16, 2010 11:57 AM (in response to nevergoodenough)
    Re: Understanding Plays help?

Hang i there man!  I know it can get confusing, and then frustrating.  Really, the only way that you're going to pick up those plays is to constantly try to go through it.  Keep watchng the players in your position.  buddy up with a player in your position and get tips if they understand the play.  Focus on the coaches key points and spot they want to be.  The plays are made to be mechanical and you are not handcuffed to running straight lines.  Understand the spots you need to get to, where the ball is, where the screens are. Don't be a fraid to make mistakes. Hope this helps.

• Busdriverkid Legend 362 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    2. Jun 16, 2010 1:35 PM (in response to nevergoodenough)

I agree with RandySagon

• MaxxHunter Pro 72 posts since
    Apr 2, 2010
    3. Jun 16, 2010 2:00 PM (in response to nevergoodenough)

Try taking each play step-by-step. Run through it slow at first with your team then gradually move towards game speed. Then once you've got a general idea of the play, keep doing it. Repetition is the key here. just really focus on every play and worry about you and you're goal in the play.

• usafhoopster Amateur 5 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    4. Jun 17, 2010 7:26 AM (in response to MaxxHunter)

I agree with Randy. In my sophomore year at High school, our coaches made us learn the FLEX offense (Like Boston College runs) during tryouts! They wanted to see if we could pick it up and work within a team concept. I recommend getting together with some guys and running through it together on your own. If the coaches will not draw it out for you, then while you are on the side watching, bring a small notebook and start drawing it out yourself or take some notes to help you while you work on your own. Hope this helps!  Scott

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    5. Jun 17, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to nevergoodenough)

Some great advice by Randy here, first I want to reiterate the "hang in there!" Catching on to plays is part of the game because its speaks to your team and how effectively you guys can run plays together, listen, communicate, etc...

Most plays are very repetitive and your role in those plays can be broken down into small bites, take it step by step. someone said bring a notebook and they are exactly correct.

For example:

1.) Start on right wing

2.) Pass goes to the left, I replace at the top of the key for the catch.

3.) On catch, my first look is to...he could be open but if not..

4.) I reverse the ball and go set a down screen

Breaking it down can make it easier to learn. good luck, stay with it, you'll get it.

On another note: I am a bit concerned about your nickname on here "nevergoodenough" is not a positive self assessment of yourself, maybe turn it to: "soontobegoodenough" that indicates you are on a journey towards success, although a long journey, one that you have embraced and are willing to put forth the energy. If you need help with drills, strategy, advice - please do not hesitate to email me: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• Crozzley Pro 79 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    6. Jun 17, 2010 9:25 PM (in response to nevergoodenough)

just focos one what your position does to start with. Then try to learn the other positions after that.

• ericbenjaming Legend 456 posts since
    Jan 5, 2009
    7. Jun 20, 2010 9:12 AM (in response to DFENSE808)

Agree Randy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...