Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1273 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2010 1:33 PM by WriterMama
WriterMama Amateur 22 posts since
Jun 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2010 10:06 PM

New runner saying hello

I started C25K several weeks ago, but hurt my knee (unrelated to the program), then the baby and I had a bad cold. So I just restarted this week. And when I told my mom, who lives a few states away, about it, she and my sister decided to start this week, too! We're keeping each other motivated long-distance.

I'm really excited about restarting! My first workout was Tuesday, my second today. I was surprised at how easy it was today. Of course it was work, but I didn't feel like I couldn't push through and do it. And when I finished, I was tired, but I felt great! I'm already looking forward to Saturday's workout!

My short-term goal is to complete the program, of course. Beyond that, I want to keep running. By the end of this year, I'd like to be running every day. Further than that, I can see myself trying a marathon sometime down the road. But I don't want to get too ahead of myself.

I've never been physically active. I've wanted to be, but I never connected with any workout programs. But I feel like this is it for me. I love running already. I may not be saying that come week 7, but for now, I'm really happy and excited!

Nicole

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jun 17, 2010 11:40 PM (in response to WriterMama)
    Re: New runner saying hello

Hey mama, welcome and totally cool that you started the program! I find that it's a nice, slow and steady pace to get your body used to running. Keep at it and you'll be running 10k's in no time. Do yourself a favor and toss a post into the starting on 6/14 thread. There's a heck of a lot of connections that you can make rather quickly with people who are doing the program along side you. Again, welcome to the world of running, it's a pretty cool lifestyle.

BTW, here's the link to the 6/14 thread:  http://community.active.com/thread/87669/starting-c25k-6-14-2010/0/0

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• coffeedrinkingrunner Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    2. Jun 18, 2010 5:53 AM (in response to WriterMama)
    Re: New runner saying hello

Congratulations on getting right back out there after your initial set backs.  That really is an accomplishment in itself.  I love your enthusiasm, and I am glad your family is involved, even if it is via long distance.

You may be right about week 7, you may feel differently.  IF you get to that point, then try slowing your running pace down a bit.  Whenever I find myself in 'that place', I slow down my runs a bit, and I start doing better.  Sometimes it may just be due to pushing yourself too hard too soon.  It is what I did the first time around, but now I am slowing down when I need to.  hang in there.

James Jones

www.lovingbylosing.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...