Skip navigation

3002 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2010 8:24 AM by osu04alum@
RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
Jan 19, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 17, 2010 6:55 AM

Ruby confesses

Been making lots of excuses not to get out there to run. I woke up early (which is huge), but didn't have time this morning to run. I've been terribly lazy this past month. But then I had to remind myself that I DID just run a 1/2 marathon last month. Hello! And I did run in the sucky humidity last night.

Funny how we runners feel out of shape for taking a little break. The laziness ends come June 28th! I'll officially be in MCM training. My 5th in a row. God help me!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    1. Jun 17, 2010 7:25 AM (in response to RubyBPG)
    Re: Ruby confesses

Ruby,

I call your excuses and raise you two getting up to lates.

I feel you pain cause lately It seems like every time I have a good week something else comes up and throws me back the following, but we keep moving forward and thats what it takes..

Glad to here everything is good and your just taking well desired time off......

I know how you feel, Heck if I take a day off thats not my scheduled day, I feel like I have never workedout in my life.

I will be doing a modified training this year, hope it works for me....

Take Care, You soon to be a MCM runners club member!!!!!

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,414 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 17, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to silvereagle)

I know exactly how you feel.  Every time I take a day off I'm convinced I gain weight and lose fitness!

Len

• Colorado Dreaming Pro 73 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    3. Jun 17, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Wow Ruby...don't worry about the break...just think 5 in a row...you should be proud.

CD

MCM 2010 -  Organization for Autism Research (OAR)

- Run for Autism  http://firstgiving.com/debbyandkendrasmith

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    4. Jun 18, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to Colorado Dreaming)

If it makes you feel any better, I've ran TWO MILES this week.  Yes, two.

And I have a 50K coming up in three weeks.  Not to mention Pikes Peak, the mother of all marathons (or should I say mother%#$%$# of all marathons) in August.

See, it's all relative.  You're fine!  ;-)

Can't wait to see you in October!

Nita

• Colorado Dreaming Pro 73 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    5. Jun 18, 2010 3:25 PM (in response to FormerBAM)

Nita,

That is so exciting you are going to do Pike's Peak.  I absolutely love Colorado and the last time I was there ran into a woman who's daughter placed 1st in her age group.  Pike's Peak is a dream for me, don't know that I would ever be in that kind of shape to run/climb it? since I got started so late in the marathon business, but please keep me/us posted on what it was like.  Good luck and on your 50K as well.

Debby AKA CD

MCM 2010 -  Organization for Autism Research (OAR)

- Run for Autism  http://firstgiving.com/debbyandkendrasmith

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Jun 18, 2010 5:04 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

I am in the same boat, only ran 3 days this week (on vacation) and feel like I am out of shape.  Like you my plan starts on the 28th.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    7. Jun 18, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to BOSNPM)

You and Ruby are just in your taper for the 28th, time to restock and reload.......

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    8. Jun 18, 2010 9:26 PM (in response to Immer treu)

I know you all feel, same here.  The 28th starts my Amsterdam training.  Ah well.  I was in NYC for 3 days, and never, ever do I run there.  The time with the little units is just to important, and basically, when I'm there, I run my a$$ off, and they do get up beastly early.  Although for 20 some years I'd get up at 4:30 and didn't think twice about it.  Now 6 is early.  I guess, things change in life.  I guess I'll run tomorrow after the Dutch play Japan.  8 miles planned.

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    9. Jun 19, 2010 2:39 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby,

Congrats on your impending membership in the MCM Runner's Club. I'm hoping to join next year.

If you come from out of town, try to put aside some time to go down and visit the MCM Building. While its a small facility, its has a lot of MCM memorabilia. The Marine Corps Museum in Quantico/Triangle is also another worthwhile visit.

• lv2trot Pro 164 posts since
    Jul 9, 2009
    10. Jun 19, 2010 10:43 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby,

Totally know how you feel.  Last weekend I did't do anything at all.  There wasn't time and my body just didn't have the energy.

Congrats on this year being your 5th MCM.  That's awesome.  I'm not sure if I have more than one 26.2 in me, but my dad thinks I will get addicted.  Time will tell.

Have a great day everyone! -cmj

If you can't stand behind our troops, Feel Free to Stand in Front of Them.

~ Speed is fine, Accuracy is Final. ~

MCM10k October'09 (1:28:41)  1st race ever

R2R10k - March '10 (1:15:41)

35th MCM 2010!  ~ 26.2 - Is It In You? (6:18:39)

Next up, so far:  run4virginiawine - Destination Run ~ 1/2 Marathon ~ 4 June 2011

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Jun 19, 2010 10:52 AM (in response to lv2trot)

Once when you've done one, you get bitten by the bug!!!

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    12. Jun 19, 2010 1:36 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ditto!

Back in April, I finally hit 18 miles a week, two weeks in a row. I guess I ramped up to fast because

I have been rehabbing my right knee ever since.

May was 16 miles, perod and June is not much better.

But I know when the time is right, I will be back in the mix of things.

Mike

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Jun 19, 2010 8:15 PM (in response to classicallytrained)

I'm in the same boat, too, Ruby.  For the last 3 or 4 weeks I've struggled to come close to running 20 miles a week, averaging more like 12 or 15.  We'll all do better soon!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• osu04alum@ Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    14. Jun 21, 2010 8:24 AM (in response to RubyBPG)

Glad to have stumbled on this thread - I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one struggling a bit right now.  Since the MCM half last month, I've maybe run 10 times - probably less.  My list of excuses - my husband came home from Iraq over Memorial Day weekend, his sister got married out of state (meaning a lot of traveling), we moved into a new place that doesn't have a treadmill conveniently located in the basement (one perk of living at home with mom and dad) and we spent a week at Walt Disney World celebrating his return.

But we're finally settled into the new place, and we ordered a treadmill last night, so consistancy should be back up soon.  Like you guys, I keep reminding myself that I JUST did a half marathon last month and a marathon in March, but part of me is freaking out that I'm no where near ready to start marathon training in a couple weeks.  Most disappointing is the feeling that I'm back to being a beginner again, that I should just train to finish like it's my first marathon, rather than training for a specific time.

On the other hand, I certainly feel rested! 

-Kelli

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...